nottoolong

I-134 and packet 3 checklist questions

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone,

After searching and/or using the example forms, I have these questions. On the I-134, under question 1A-E, do I leave these blank or write or N/A? These don't apply to me, nor to the example person given too, but the example form shows these as blank.

In regards to the packet 3 checklist, this question is about the list of documents. Under Official grant of permanent custody for minor children, my fiancee has 3 children that will come over later after her. I understand that they'll require the official papers when they're ready to come, but do they also mean when my fiancee is applying now? I'm sort of unclear on that.

Thank you.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone,

After searching and/or using the example forms, I have these questions. On the I-134, under question 1A-E, do I leave these blank or write or N/A? These don't apply to me, nor to the example person given too, but the example form shows these as blank.

In regards to the packet 3 checklist, this question is about the list of documents. Under Official grant of permanent custody for minor children, my fiancee has 3 children that will come over later after her. I understand that they'll require the official papers when they're ready to come, but do they also mean when my fiancee is applying now? I'm sort of unclear on that.

Thank you.

On the 134 either bank or N/A would work.

The question about the docs for the kids would be for a situation where they are going with her at the same time. I read the document you mention today. It clearly says that they want a legal custody document OR a letter signed by the biological father.

I understand there is no intention to bring them at this time but please allow yourselves time to do the research required to define exactly what the embassy requires at the point in time when you decide to bring them.

I bring this up because there is a couple right now with a case where a legal custody document from a Thai judge was submitted to conform with the requirment but it was rejected by the embassy as insufficent. They officer told the mother they no longer accepted these as enough. They demand a letter from the father & sometimes demand he attend a special interview.

This has been the exact circumstance in 3 cases I know of. In one it took the mother 60 days to get what was required & cost her a lot of money. In another the people have now worked hard to comply for 4 months & spent incredible money but still havent satisfied the officer.

Your case could be completly different in many ways but its not easy no matter what the circumstance. Each for example will require their own petition & all the other supporting docs just as you have done for your fiance so far.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

On the 134 either bank or N/A would work.

The question about the docs for the kids would be for a situation where they are going with her at the same time. I read the document you mention today. It clearly says that they want a legal custody document OR a letter signed by the biological father.

I understand there is no intention to bring them at this time but please allow yourselves time to do the research required to define exactly what the embassy requires at the point in time when you decide to bring them.

I bring this up because there is a couple right now with a case where a legal custody document from a Thai judge was submitted to conform with the requirment but it was rejected by the embassy as insufficent. They officer told the mother they no longer accepted these as enough. They demand a letter from the father & sometimes demand he attend a special interview.

This has been the exact circumstance in 3 cases I know of. In one it took the mother 60 days to get what was required & cost her a lot of money. In another the people have now worked hard to comply for 4 months & spent incredible money but still havent satisfied the officer.

Your case could be completly different in many ways but its not easy no matter what the circumstance. Each for example will require their own petition & all the other supporting docs just as you have done for your fiance so far.

Ning,

About the question of her children, the more I read it I understand it's only for if her children were coming with her now. It didn't sink in, but it says it right there. I do think it would be a good idea that she does have any official papers signed by her ex-husband now while she still is in Thailand. Just so there are no delays when the time comes for when we're ready to bring them here. I hope our situation doesn't have any delays and the information we provide is sufficient. I should contact the embassy and ask them what they require. In one of the cases you mentioned, did the father of the chidren have to go to the embassy for a special interview? That would be hard to do. It will be tough if we had to do all this from the U.S. after she arrives. So doing this now would be smart.

Thank you for your help on both of these questions.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Ning,

About the question of her children, the more I read it I understand it's only for if her children were coming with her now. It didn't sink in, but it says it right there. I do think it would be a good idea that she does have any official papers signed by her ex-husband now while she still is in Thailand. Just so there are no delays when the time comes for when we're ready to bring them here. I hope our situation doesn't have any delays and the information we provide is sufficient. I should contact the embassy and ask them what they require. In one of the cases you mentioned, did the father of the chidren have to go to the embassy for a special interview? That would be hard to do. It will be tough if we had to do all this from the U.S. after she arrives. So doing this now would be smart.

Thank you for your help on both of these questions.

Yes that is what it means just as now understand it. The way yu are proceeding right now is fine for getting her K 1 visa. No reason to think there will be problems. Also you can relax in knowing that if anything came up its pretty easy to take care of even though you may not think so right now. We feel like the world is about to stop at this point because of the lack of info we think we need during the previouse steps.

As to the different problems surrounding the visas for the kids there is a lot to understand. If I were you I wouldnt get confused nor confuse the embassy with questions now if you dont intend to file for the visas. They will only give you general info at this time anyway.

Yes in one case I helped with the embassy required the father to be brought to in to be interviewed. Why that happened probably has nothing to do with yours or other cases but it does prove they wont simply accept the Thai courts opinion of who has legal custody as enough evidence that the fathers rights have been satisfied. This is an important aspect. Two people I know of thought the embassies direction you see on the P 3 list was enough to issue the visas to the kids. It clearly says they will but they have changed that method.

Timing is what is needed in regards to the kids visas. Its difficult to go thru all of this here. Each case is unique to itself. It seems you have decided to have them come at a later date. Each couple has to decide what is best for their situation. I am not in a position to say what anyone else should do. I will say bringing my daughter her with me was the best thing I could have done for myself & our new family. I was already married & my husband came to love our little girl so he said he just could imagine leaving her. We waited an additonal 4 months so we could bring her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.