cananner

"RFE" for packet 3

4 posts in this topic

I'd been calling the Dept of State every day to see if packet 3 had been logged, and on Friday the woman said they logged it, but that they're sending me a letter asking for certain things. She said something about "the 156", "written by hand", and "photo page of my passport". When I asked her to repeat what the letter was telling me to correct, she said I was cutting out and kept not wanting to say more (understandable, I was calling from my laptop).

In my packet 3, I sent: cover letter, the DS-230 parts 1 and 2 (plus supplement for question 35), the checklist, 2 copies of the 156, the 156k, and the 160 confirmation receipt. I admit I filled in all the forms by hand, since I didn't know you HAD to type. I wrote very neatly and in capitals, but I guess it wasn't satisfactory.

Based on what other people dealing with Montreal had said on these forums, I didn't include 2 photos of myself since apparently you can bring those to the interview. I also didn't include a photocopy of my passport bio page since other people didn't say they included that. Oops...

I really don't want this to prolong my wait for packet 4/interview booking too much. I'm afraid the letter will either take ages to get here, or it'll come while I'm away this week (Tuesday to Friday), thus wasting precious time. So I'm wondering if I should:

a) Type up all the forms, photocopy my passport page, and send it all out again tomorrow. This assumes that the RFE isn't going to ask me for anything that's not on this page > http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=visa_pkt3 . I'll phone the DoS first to see if they can tell me what the letter's requesting, which would be great. If they refuse to tell me, I'll send what I assume they want based on what the woman said on Friday.

b) wait for the letter. I get that this is logical, but all the interview dates available now are being snatched up and who knows how much a week will set me back :( ...

03/15/2011 - NOA1

05/31/2011 - NOA2

06/??/2011 - NVC received

06/14/2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal

06/20/2011 - Packet 3 sent from Mtl

06/27/2011 - Sent Packet 3 back

07/07/2011 - RFE for Packet 3 sent from Mtl

07/18/2011 - RFE sent to embassy

07/21/2011 - RFE logged

07/25/2011 - Packet 4 sent, interview date made

10/31/2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

11/11/2011 - Visa ready for pickup

12/21/2011 - POE

02/24/2012 - Married!

05/14/2012 - AOS, EAD, AP forms sent

05/21/2012 - NOA1

08/13/2012 - AOS interview...APPROVED!

07/21/2014 - I-751 filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is off topic and I apologize, but how did you send packet 3? Did you DHL it using the form with your reference ID, or just send it canada post? Also is that ALL you included? with the post strike and everything, we just never got the packet 3 letter from MTL. They emailed the link above to us instead when we asked. We have collected everything and are ready to send it out tomorrow... just want to make sure nothing else should be included!

This is off topic and I apologize, but how did you send packet 3? Did you DHL it using the form with your reference ID, or just send it canada post? Also is that ALL you included? with the post strike and everything, we just never got the packet 3 letter from MTL. They emailed the link above to us instead when we asked. We have collected everything and are ready to send it out tomorrow... just want to make sure nothing else should be included!

I used DHL since there's an office 15 minutes from my house. It's free to send with them since they have a deal with the embassy. Now that the strike is over Canada Post is probably just as good. I assume the stuff on the website is sufficient, though based on my question I might not be the best person to ask if "nothing else should be included".

03/15/2011 - NOA1

05/31/2011 - NOA2

06/??/2011 - NVC received

06/14/2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal

06/20/2011 - Packet 3 sent from Mtl

06/27/2011 - Sent Packet 3 back

07/07/2011 - RFE for Packet 3 sent from Mtl

07/18/2011 - RFE sent to embassy

07/21/2011 - RFE logged

07/25/2011 - Packet 4 sent, interview date made

10/31/2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

11/11/2011 - Visa ready for pickup

12/21/2011 - POE

02/24/2012 - Married!

05/14/2012 - AOS, EAD, AP forms sent

05/21/2012 - NOA1

08/13/2012 - AOS interview...APPROVED!

07/21/2014 - I-751 filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used DHL since there's an office 15 minutes from my house. It's free to send with them since they have a deal with the embassy. Now that the strike is over Canada Post is probably just as good. I assume the stuff on the website is sufficient, though based on my question I might not be the best person to ask if "nothing else should be included".

You could use any mail service to send them your Packet 3. DHL is used by the consulate to mail your passport and visa after issuance. The only moment you have to use DHL is when you have to mail in more paperwork after your interview. They will then only accept DHL.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.