evergreen

Best Point of Entry

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We've been going through the entry on 133/I-89 between Quebec and Vermont. Any better places to cross? The border in Detroit had the most awful female agent/officer. A friend from Australia ran into her as well, and has declared that he will never again even attempt to visit Canada. I just want a border where the agents are reasonable - not one where they harass you or make accusations (versus asking questions).

Approval Dates:

I130 Approved (NOA2) 7/20/06 (144 Days)

I129 Approved (NOA2) 8/24/06 (41 Days)

Documents we have so far:

Criminal/police record check.

Immunization records/medical history (including negative Tb, HIV, syphyllis, etc).

Chest x-ray.

His birth certificate (long form).

Our marriage certificate.

My divorce decree.

Our passports.

Wedding photos, cards, credit cards, health insurance, evidence of legitimate marriage.

Notarized I-134 and supporting documents.

Notarized I-184 and supporting documents.

Five additional passport photos each.

Questions: See "Married on Visitor Visa"post

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I drive a recreational tractor trailer truck for a race team and went to a Race in Trois-Riveres last month, I crossed at the Thousand-Island bridge. The Canadian official was very pleasant, and had no problems with my very large "Camper" 18 wheel BIG RIG, on the way back the US customs officer was also not so bad, scolded me about not having a proper manifest but let me pass all the same.

It helps to have a passport handy, and be calm and not argumentative, keep a friendly tone of voice.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

I think a Canadian friend recommended this border point as well.

What are the nearest towns, Canadian and American, to this bridge? I'm trying to figure out exactly where it is.

We've always had passports and been polite and cooperative - it's just that some border patrol agents have the same problem that many cops have - a position of authority gets to them, they can't handle it, and they've got to treat everyone like sh*t.

When I crossed with my husband, before we were married, they searched my car, got my job paperwork out (from a new nursing job), brought it inside the office, slammed it on the table, and demanded to know "What was really going on." I had no idea what to say! Nothing was going on. They insisted that my husband was trying to "work illegally" in the U.S. It was absurd! When they finally calmed down - when their supervisor entered - I was able to draw their attention to the fact that the job paperwork had MY name on it.

I'd brought my job paperwork, lease, etc. to show the Canadian side that I had sufficient ties to the U.S. to enter Canada. Now, the U.S. border was using that same paperwork against me! It was crazy. We sat in that office (not allowed to use the restroom) for almost three hours, staring at giant pictures of Bush and Cheney, while the border agents tried everything and anything to find some reason to deny my husband entry - and rather than asking questions, they flung accusations, one after the other. It was the most humiliating, frustrating experience! It was awful. Meanwhile, all the brochures in the office "welcomed" foreigners to the U.S.!

Even then, I've always remained courteous and cooperative, but it has made me want to vomit to be treated so awfully for no reason. It's definitely made me afraid to cross the border.

Edited by evergreen

Approval Dates:

Immunization records/medical history (including negative Tb, HIV, syphyllis, etc).

Chest x-ray.

My divorce decree.

Our passports.

Wedding photos, cards, credit cards, health insurance, evidence of legitimate marriage.

Timeline

The nearest town on the New York side is Watertown, and on Ontario side is Kingston.

MAP: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&amp...le=r&lvl=10

Edited by YuAndDan

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline
The nearest town on the New York side is Watertown, and on Ontario side is Kingston.

MAP: http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&amp...le=r&lvl=10

Note: A lot has changed since 9/11/01 the border officers used to be much friendlier, I used to travel across the border often as part of my job, and was a breeze.

It took a few terrorists flying planes into a few buildings to change every thing, so understand why the American Customs agents behave this way, they have had the pressure put on them to be extra careful, since that fatefull day.

So don't focus your anger at the agents on the border trying to do their part to prevent something like 9/11 from happening again, focus that anger at the evil terrorists that have made our once friendly border a living hell for the border workers, and the law abiding Canadians, and Americans that have to cross it every day.

Timeline

I understand that they have to be more careful. I don't mind delays, I don't mind vehicle searches, I don't mind questioning.

I do mind being treated like a criminal, being accosted with absurd accusations for no reason, and being held for hours without being allowed to use the restroom or even allowed to respond to accusations.

The border agents can be careful and thorough without mistreating people. I don't excuse the way we were treated because the border agents have to be more careful in the light of recent terrorist activity.

We had valid passports, no criminal history, and there was no reason for us to be treated the way we were. We were polite, courteous, told the truth, had nothing questionable on us or in our vehicle.

They weren't questioning or accusing us of terrorist activity - they were harassing us because we were boyfriend and girlfriend from two different countries. When they ridiculously accused my husband of trying to work illegally as a nurse in the U.S. (he's not even a nurse), they were merely trying to "find something, anything", to deny him entry to the U.S.. Why?

I work as a nurse and run into all types of people. I've worked in the ER and in a prison and in a drug treatment facility (as well as hospitals, etc). I don't care who I work with - I always treat everyone with the same courtesy, respect, and professionalism.

I am not judge or jury - and neither are the border agents. The justice system has several different branches, for a reason. There is law enforcement and there is the judicial branch. I think some border agents are getting confused as to which department they work in.

If we let terrorists make it acceptable to mistreat law abiding citizens of the U.S. and other countries, who has won?

There is no excuse for mistreating anyone at the border, terrorist activity or not.

Approval Dates:

Chest x-ray.

My divorce decree.

Our passports.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

On the contrary... the INA does allow the CBP to be the judge and jury on who is permitted into the US and who is not... there is no judicial review of their decision... at the POE, CBP is the sole arbiter of who is permitted entry into the US...

As a former CBP officer, you may have thought you were treated unfairly.. I see that the officers were trying to see if you were telling the truth...

The fact of that matter is that people lie all the time to meet their own ends. The reason there is a CBP is to keep people who do not belong in the US from being in the US.... aliens that have immigrant intent do not belong in the US...

The fact that you had a relationship with a US Citizen made you more likely to have immigrant intent and therefore inadmissible..

The accusations that you speak of is a common interrogation tactic called misdirection... It's awful hard for people to keep a false story straight over a period of time... so they were trying to take bits of your story and apply it to your partner in a rapid fashion... if your stories were straight, the individual being interrogated would correct the officer to what is the correct set of circumstances... if your stories weren't straight, you would probably slip up...

I'm sorry to say that what you percieve as being treated "unfairly" was in fact an interrogation by CBP and probably ICE. Interrogation by its very nature is a very unpleasant thing... which is why if someone is lying, it will eventually come out during the interrogation... peole aren't going to let their guard down and let the truth come out over a nice cup of coffee and a gentle conversation...

the fact that they let you go meant that they were satisifed with your stated intentions... but looking at your other thread, it appears that their read on your intentions was not out of line...

CBP was doing their job.. I'm sorry if it offended you for what you perceive to be a "minor" thing... but the next set of persons who go through the same thing may not have the best of intentions...

You say that you are were a "law abiding citizen".... how was CBP to know that you weren't trying to smuggle your boyfriend into the US to live.. or work.. that basically you were lying to their face...

Your looking at the whole scanario through the prism of your own set of circumstances and experiences... try stepping back and looking at it from the other side of the fence and get the entirety of the picture of what was going on... CBP sees thousands of people like you every day for only a few minutes at a time... they have a split second to decide who is a risk and who is not...

CBP has one of the most difficult jobs in law enforcement... You should be glad that CBP is protecting the country from those who have no business being here... sorry that you got caught in the buzzsaw, but it's a necessary evil in the broader goal of protecting our country..

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

:thumbs: Zyggy I could not have said it better my self!

Note: this tactic of interrogation can be employed at the AOS interview also!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Derek has also had good luck at the Thousand Island crossing. Then again he is also law enforcement so he speaks their language. B)

I have always crossed at the Vermont border and never had any problems. I can only imagaine the amount of ####### that these guys see on a daily basis - I know I couldn't do their job!

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We've been going through the entry on 133/I-89 between Quebec and Vermont.

This is where we crossed after I got my CR-1 visa. We've used that border before, too, when I was just visiting. Both times we didn't have any problems and the officers were friendly.

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.