alizon

Confused about what US address to use

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

There seem to be a few questions similar to mine on the boards, but not too many clear answers so far, so I'll give mine a shot: I am a US citizen filing for a visa for my Canadian husband, and I am currently visiting him for the summer in Canada. I gave up my old US apartment, but I already have a new one that I will be moving into September 1. I haven't signed the lease yet (it is in the mail), but the person who currently lives in my future apartment is a good friend. How should I proceed with the US address for our paperwork? I could stretch the truth and say that my new US apartment is my current address or I could show that I am not currently living in the US but will be in the future at that new address...both make me nervous that they will lengthen the process or even get us denied. Does anyone have an idea of what I should do?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Since we get all the documents/ correspondence through email, I guess giving your new address and letting the tenant at your new address help you in case he/ she gets any mail correspondence is your best option. But a better advise can be given if we know your timelines.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Thanks NavyK. We haven't filed any papers at all so far (just got married this month), so I guess we don't have a timeline yet. I decided to go with just including a note that I haven't moved into my new address yet, but that the lease is signed, I can receive mail there, and I have a letter from my employer saying I'll be back in the US in September. Hopefully that won't ruffle any feathers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Ok. if you are filling I-130 with that address, it is perfectly alright. Remember to send G-1145 (provides email address) and you will get your first receipt (NOA1) and arrpoval (NOA2) through email. Once you get the first receipt (NOA1) , go to USCIS website (link given below) and setup your account using the USCIS case number and setup email and text alerts. The physical letters (NOA1 and NOA2) will be mailed to the address given in I-130. Of course, if you get a RFE (Request For Additional documents or information), it will also be going to the physical address and a email be coming to your email address.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/login.jsp;jsessionid=bca80c_RiQEyi9Zq0wDdt

After submitting I-130 application, try to get your 2008, 2009 & 2010 IRS Federal Tax Transcript - you will need these to file the AOS (Affidavit of support) after the case is transferred to NVC. good luck.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.