Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I love this forum :) Here is a quick timeline about us:

Met online August 2010

Met in person in Brazil October 2010

Met in person in Europe December and January 2011

Met in person in Argentina May 2011

Will meet in person in Brazil October 2011, I will propose to her :)

She will visit me in Usa December - early February 2012 on a tourist visa

August will mark 1 year together, October is when we actually met in person. Should I file for K-1 now or wait until August/October? I know I haven't physically proposed yet but from reading the posts K-1 is not a short process. The reason I am asking about waiting until the 1 year mark is perhaps anything under a year is a red flag? I'm very close to 1 year :)

The next thing I'm worried about is the 2 month visit this December. I have not bought the plane ticket yet. I'm debating if I should file K-1 before the trip or after the trip. She does have strong ties back home such as enrollment in college and employment letter. She wants to visit my family and the last time she was in the US was when she was 7. I'm 33 and she is 23, not sure if that's another red flag. How many red flags do I have haha. I'm not doing anything illegal, we won't marry in Usa until we get the proper visa. Thanks for your help this is so stressful :(

George & Isa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Met online August 2010

August will mark 1 year together, October is when we actually met in person. Should I file for K-1 now or wait until August/October? I know I haven't physically proposed yet but from reading the posts K-1 is not a short process. The reason I am asking about waiting until the 1 year mark is perhaps anything under a year is a red flag? I'm very close to 1 year :)

The next thing I'm worried about is the 2 month visit this December. I have not bought the plane ticket yet. I'm debating if I should file K-1 before the trip or after the trip. She does have strong ties back home such as enrollment in college and employment letter. She wants to visit my family and the last time she was in the US was when she was 7. I'm 33 and she is 23, not sure if that's another red flag. How many red flags do I have haha. I'm not doing anything illegal, we won't marry in Usa until we get the proper visa. Thanks for your help this is so stressful :(

George & Isa

It all looks okay to me. You only have to have met once within the previous two years before you file your petition so you are more than okay there. It doesn't matter how long you have known each other so long as you can prove you have been together. Make sure you keep evidence of things like boarding passes, hotel receipts showing both names (if you stay in hotels), anything else that proves you were together. As secondary evidence photos showing the two of you together and they prefer them if they are dated. (Photos at family events - birthday, celebration etc - are good too).

Since it is a fiance(e) visa you cant really file until you are engaged. There is not a major age difference, so that looks fine. They deny or at least question the relationship if you are say more than 20-25 years difference especially if the woman is older.

If she has strong ties to her country, study, job, return tickets... then there shouldn't be any problem there either.

Later on at interview stage you need evidence of ongoing relationship e.g. copies of chatlists, more photos if you have them, evidence of ongoing communication generally. You are planning ahead so you have the opportunity to think of these things and hang onto these things that will support your application.

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Timeline

I'm also applying for K1 at the time. There's parts of the paperwork she needs to fill out too... so it wouldn't hurt to at least go over the example forms with her. But I will be curious to hear other responses too... I completely understand how overwhelming it feels. I am going crazy with all the different forms and requirements and making sure I'm not filling them out wrong and also getting forms from my fiance... who is half a world away. So if it helps... I'm also going through the craziness right now. I know that my input isn't incredibly helpful at the moment. Sorry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I'm also applying for K1 at the time. There's parts of the paperwork she needs to fill out too... so it wouldn't hurt to at least go over the example forms with her. But I will be curious to hear other responses too... I completely understand how overwhelming it feels. I am going crazy with all the different forms and requirements and making sure I'm not filling them out wrong and also getting forms from my fiance... who is half a world away. So if it helps... I'm also going through the craziness right now. I know that my input isn't incredibly helpful at the moment. Sorry.

If you follow the K1 Guides and Example forms you will be okay. Any questions and just ask on the K1 forum. Triple check everything before you send it... and keep a copy of your petition (just in case). You also need to send a copy of it to your fiancee before the interview so they know what the embassy already has received from you (to avoid any confusion it is better to know what has been said and that you are all on the same page).

Best of luck!

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Met online August 2010

George & Isa

Our case is similar to yours. We met online in December, met in person in April in the US ans he's coming to meet my family and friends in October in Brazil. We are filing K1 in October when he goes back to the States and I'm going to spend the holidays in December there with him and his family. I have a tourist visa and there should not be a problem. That was a question I had and I talked to some people and they said as long as I have strong ties in Brazil and that I'm honest at POE, I'll be ok entering the country.

Good luck!

:)

K1
10/04/2011 - I-129F sent [/font]
10/06/2011 - I-129F received at USCIS/Dallas and routed to Vermont
10/12/2011 - NOA1 email and text message + check cashed. (NOA1 hardcopy date is Oct 11)
12/20/2011 - She went to the US with a tourist visa to spend 2 weeks with him
01/27/2012 - NOA2 (hard copy came in the mail on Feb 1 + text message, email and website update)
02/13/2012 - SENT EMAIL TO RIO DE JANEIRO CONSULATE TO GET INTERVIEW DATE
04/03/2012 - INTERVIEW IN RIO DE JANEIRO - APPROVED
04/10/2012 - Passport with visa + sealed envelope received [/color]
08/27/2012 - POE Atlanta
09/01/2012 - Married!

AOS
09/25/2012 - AOS + EAD + AP sent
09/27/2012 - AOS package received in Chicago
10/02/2012 - Text messages + email received with 3 case numbers showing NOA for EAD + AP Sep 28/ NOA I-485 Oct 1
10/03/2012 - Check cashed $1,070.00
12/07/2012 - EAD + Travel Permit combo card

07/22/2013 - GC approved

07/25/2013 - GC in production

07/29/2013 - GC received

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

05/14/2015 - Package sent

05/18/2015 - Package received in Vermont

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.