USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congrats! Looks like 10/30 is also going to be a holiday :) Always glad to hear of a success story with all the negative ones we see on the various other threads.

---

Quick question for everyone

My wife is planning on getting the required vaccinations the last week of October (the medical exam is scheduled Fri Nov 4). I did not find exactly what is needed on the embassy website but through reading various threads here I understand there are four shots required. My wife visited the red cross in Medellin to see about prices/scheduled (just drop in) and this is what we are planning:

MMR 27.000

TETANO 12.000

DIFTERIA 77.00

VARICELA 112.100

So four shots for 228,100 pesos or about 120 Dollars.. Does that sound about right as far as the shots to get?

Hey,

Those are basically the shots your wife needs, you are missing the influenza one though.

I had the same dilemma before my doctor appointment, about getting them before so i wasnt going to spend so much money. But i have to tell you i preferred to wait to get them with the doctor. They told me to bring an extra 270.000 pesos for all the vaccinations i could need according with my age. So yesterday i went to my medical appointment and i brought my records and just needed two shots. Total Was 114.000 pesos. Anyways, if your wife needs to get all of them it is going to be covered by the 270.000 or the money they told her to bring. It is up to you, just wanted to share my experience. I waited until the doctor to get only what i needed an not potentially pay for them twice. Also there are different classes of brands for vaccinations, so that can be another thing to think about.

Timeline

My husband doesn't have any record of his shots so he has to get all of the required ones. He will do this in Bogota since the doctors there try to make you re-do them (so they can make more money off of you). We are not willing to pay them twice.

I'm so glad I'm getting my bonus from work soon or I would have no way of affording all of this!! It's getting expensive- and I'm not even going!

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

My husband doesn't have any record of his shots so he has to get all of the required ones. He will do this in Bogota since the doctors there try to make you re-do them (so they can make more money off of you). We are not willing to pay them twice.

I'm so glad I'm getting my bonus from work soon or I would have no way of affording all of this!! It's getting expensive- and I'm not even going!

My Wife had her vaccinations obtained in Barranquilla - about 4 weeks before our interview. She took proof of her vaccinations to Bogota where her vaccinations were validated by a Doctor there.

7424_1229863422224_1098240232_30695987_4296726_n.jpg

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for the comments on the Vaccinations everyone.. She is going to call the doctors office in Bogota and see what they are going to charge assuming she has no vaccination card and then make a decision on the better route to take.

I've been using PayPal to transfer money (she has the world card so she can withdraw money using PayPal from ATMs for a $1.00 charge) and have found this the least expensive route for sending money... The big caveat with that is that the money you transfer from your account takes *5 days* to appear in PayPal - mind you its gone from your bank account in one day - Normally I just don;t worry about it but when the peso dropped at the end of last week to 1950+ to the dollar I put everything I thought would be needed for the trip into the account (doctor, vaccinations, spending money for when i am there, etc).. Just waiting for the money to transfer has reduced the value by close to five percent (down below 1900 now) and she can only take out about 500.000 per day so even if she started today (which she cat, PayPal still has not added the funds) it would still require a few days.

Pointless ranting I know but gaa! there always seems to be one more thing!

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

Thanks for the comments on the Vaccinations everyone.. She is going to call the doctors office in Bogota and see what they are going to charge assuming she has no vaccination card and then make a decision on the better route to take.

I've been using PayPal to transfer money (she has the world card so she can withdraw money using PayPal from ATMs for a $1.00 charge) and have found this the least expensive route for sending money... The big caveat with that is that the money you transfer from your account takes *5 days* to appear in PayPal - mind you its gone from your bank account in one day - Normally I just don;t worry about it but when the peso dropped at the end of last week to 1950+ to the dollar I put everything I thought would be needed for the trip into the account (doctor, vaccinations, spending money for when i am there, etc).. Just waiting for the money to transfer has reduced the value by close to five percent (down below 1900 now) and she can only take out about 500.000 per day so even if she started today (which she cat, PayPal still has not added the funds) it would still require a few days.

I always do my transfers through Wells Fargo. It's the most current rate, and I don't get charged anything (relationship with bank) to transfer to him and he doesn't get anything charged to pick it up. AND it's available like, an hour after I have sent it (of course, online). I love it.

IR-1

USCIS CSC

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

EMBASSY

-Happily Ever After-

Timeline

I always do my transfers through Wells Fargo. It's the most current rate, and I don't get charged anything (relationship with bank) to transfer to him and he doesn't get anything charged to pick it up. AND it's available like, an hour after I have sent it (of course, online). I love it.

Good info.. where does he pick it up? When you say relationship with the back what do you mean? I have a savings/checking account with WF..

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Trust me, I know. I am nearly out of money. Of course I had to pay $$$$ for a lawyer and my fiance is going to need a waiver. LMK on the Bogota price, my fiance will also need the vaccinations. Perhaps the Barranquilla facility is a better option for her as well.

Timeline

I haven't yet seen any chatter about this, and I haven't yet completely figured it out yet, but I need to start some discussion and get feedback. I'm not sure which all visas are affected, but the way we do K visas has changed as of this month. Much of what I have read here on VJ and at the embassy site concerning packet 3 and 4 has changed. I got an email response today from the embassy telling me that "This office is pleased to inform you that it can begin to process your fiancé(e) visa case." There were 6 attachments with it. 3 in English, and the same 3 in Spanish. Medical Exam Instructions, How to Schedule you K Visa Appointment, and K Visa Instructions Packet 3/4.

Well my head is still trying to sort this out, but what I see that is different so far is that we no longer mail, fax, or email the DS 2100, and DS 230. Those are gone. We go to he embassy website and create an account, pay online?(still trying to figure this out), and schedule the interview date ourself. The day of the interview you take in DS 156 and 156K, the list of documents(changes here!), and your medical exam info(now 4 doctors to choose from).

The embassy still has the old packet 3 and 4 posted on the site. I'd have no idea about the new stuff had I not got the email. My novia told me a month ago that we could pay online for the interview, but I had told her she was loca until today. The new Spanish Packet 3/4 is dated revised June 2011. The English Packet 3/4 is dated October 2011.

The new document requirements not only say nothing about the petitioner needing the DAS thingy, but also has omitted it for the beneficiary. (this is the DAS that pertains to entries and exits)

The baptism certificate looks like that it is only needed if the birth certificate is older than 2 years.

Overall, the changes I see are positive, but on the downside I have no "cookbook" to follow with the from the experiences of others.

I need to read through it again, and hopefully have enough confidence tomorrow to create the embassy account, pay for the interview, and schedule the date.

Any insight is appreciated.

Andy

PS: As to exactly what does and does not need to be translated is murkier than ever. At least for me it is. The new Packet 3/4 says "If you already

included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not

need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies." From reading this, I assume everything needs translated that wasn't translated for the original petition. From reading previous posts, I gathered that nothing needs translated for the embassy. Anyone?

Edited by Jo & A

Timeline

Wow- that sounds like they are simplifying things. I wish we would have fell under that. We emailed DS2100 and DS230 around Sept 20th or so and are waiting to see when the interview date will be. I think we can check it online around Oct 20? Regarding payment, I know very little about it. I think I've read something here about paying at Banco Helm (which I've never even heard of). Waiting for interview date and packet 4 before I jump ahead any further.

I haven't yet seen any chatter about this, and I haven't yet completely figured it out yet, but I need to start some discussion and get feedback. I'm not sure which all visas are affected, but the way we do K visas has changed as of this month. Much of what I have read here on VJ and at the embassy site concerning packet 3 and 4 has changed. I got an email response today from the embassy telling me that "This office is pleased to inform you that it can begin to process your fiancé(e) visa case." There were 6 attachments with it. 3 in English, and the same 3 in Spanish. Medical Exam Instructions, How to Schedule you K Visa Appointment, and K Visa Instructions Packet 3/4.

Well my head is still trying to sort this out, but what I see that is different so far is that we no longer mail, fax, or email the DS 2100, and DS 230. Those are gone. We go to he embassy website and create an account, pay online?(still trying to figure this out), and schedule the interview date ourself. The day of the interview you take in DS 156 and 156K, the list of documents(changes here!), and your medical exam info(now 4 doctors to choose from).

The embassy still has the old packet 3 and 4 posted on the site. I'd have no idea about the new stuff had I not got the email. My novia told me a month ago that we could pay online for the interview, but I had told her she was loca until today. The new Spanish Packet 3/4 is dated revised June 2011. The English Packet 3/4 is dated October 2011.

The new document requirements not only say nothing about the petitioner needing the DAS thingy, but also has omitted it for the beneficiary. (this is the DAS that pertains to entries and exits)

The baptism certificate looks like that it is only needed if the birth certificate is older than 2 years.

Overall, the changes I see are positive, but on the downside I have no "cookbook" to follow with the from the experiences of others.

I need to read through it again, and hopefully have enough confidence tomorrow to create the embassy account, pay for the interview, and schedule the date.

Andy

PS: As to exactly what does and does not need to be translated is murkier than ever. At least for me it is. The new Packet 3/4 says "If you already

included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not

need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies." From reading this, I assume everything needs translated that wasn't translated for the original petition. From reading previous posts, I gathered that nothing needs translated for the embassy. Anyone?

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Where in Barranquilla did she get the vaccines?

My wife said, "En la Cruz Roja (donde es mas costoso), o cualquier centro de vacuñacion". She had private Nurse take care of her vaccinations.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Andy

Andy - My Master's Degree work was just like this. Just break it all down in order of importance, and knock each task out individually. Don't worry about there being a cookbook - just ask your Fiance to help figure out the tasks, since all of the above is explained to the beneficiary - right down to the interview process at the US Embassy. You have to have faith in your other half that she will be organized and make the right decisions in order to get your Visa approved. :thumbs:

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Timeline

How much did they charge her and how did she know which vacunas she needed? Do they tell you in packet 4 which vacunas you need to get or did she just trust that the people en la Cruz Roja knew which ones to give her?

thanks!

My wife said, "En la Cruz Roja (donde es mas costoso), o cualquier centro de vacuñacion". She had private Nurse take care of her vaccinations.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline

Good info.. where does he pick it up? When you say relationship with the back what do you mean? I have a savings/checking account with WF..

The type of account you have may waive the fee. It can be picked up at Bancolombia, Davivienda, and BBVA. Try it out. It really is great. And if the fee isn't waived it's still only like 3.50 or something minimal like that. It's worth it.

IR-1

USCIS CSC

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

EMBASSY

-Happily Ever After-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.