nikolacolada

how to organize your papers for the interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I put all of our stuff together last night and we almost have everything we need! I'm just wondering how others brought their paperwork or are bringing their paperwork to the consulate in Ciudad Juarez when they go for their interview

Right now we have it in a plastic accordion style folder, which we'll keep it in until we get there but I've heard anything you bring needs to fit under a glass partition? And I don't think this big folder will..

do people normally just bring the papers in like file folder or no folder, or different folders for the different types of paperwork (forms, engagement proof, etc)

thanks for any advice :)

Timeline

Since we have mom & 2 kids going our papers are about 6 inches thick! I have them organised into a big 3 ring note book with seperate files (plastic) that can easily be removed...one section for each person, with DS-260, DS-156, DS-156K unsigned,etc. then seperate folders for afidavit of support & financial stuff, folder for Petitioners passport copy, lots of photos in plastic sleeves, proof of continued contact, which has skype screen shots, text & phone messages, boarding passes etc...

This way when they ask for something she can look for appropriate folder and hand it over!

I must say doing one person would be confusing enough, but with double copies of everything for mom & 2 kids is simply overwhelming!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Since we have mom & 2 kids going our papers are about 6 inches thick! I have them organised into a big 3 ring note book with seperate files (plastic) that can easily be removed...one section for each person, with DS-260, DS-156, DS-156K unsigned,etc. then seperate folders for afidavit of support & financial stuff, folder for Petitioners passport copy, lots of photos in plastic sleeves, proof of continued contact, which has skype screen shots, text & phone messages, boarding passes etc...

This way when they ask for something she can look for appropriate folder and hand it over!

I must say doing one person would be confusing enough, but with double copies of everything for mom & 2 kids is simply overwhelming!!!

WOW I can only imagine! I thought ONE person's paperwork was bad enough! Hopefully you are good at organizing (sounds like you are!) Good luck to you all.

07.24.09 Met in Mexico.

03.18.10 Began dating via internet.

07.10.10 Arrived in Mexico, 2nd trip.

12.16.10 Returned home to US. Last time I've seen him :(

12.20.10 I-129f sent to Dallas.

12.28.10 I-129f received.

12.30.10 NOA1

05.04.11 NOA2

05.07.11 Received hardcopy NOA2 in the mail.

05.31.11 NVC receive.

06.02.11 NVC sent.

06.02.11 Consulate Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Sent. (i.e. submitting DS-260 and filling out and printing DS-156 and DS-156K)

06.14.11 Scheduled ASC and interview.

07.10.11 Departure to Mexico City.

07.11.11 Mexico City to Juárez.

07.12.11 Medical

07.13.11 ASC appointment

07.14.11 INTERVIEW! and APPROVED!! :)

07.21.11 Visa in Transit.

07.22.11 Visa Ready to be Picked Up @ DHL.

07.23.11 Picked up visa @ DHL.

07.23.11 Crossed border to El Paso.

07.24.11 Flight to Boston and FINALLY IN MY ARMS AGAIN!!! Thank you Lord!

09.17.11 Married!

09.27.11 Sent in papers for AOS

02.13.12 Received RFE

Timeline

I'm organizing the papers very similar to Kimchimex. I will be using a 1.5 inch 3 ring binder with plastic sleeves. After reading several consulate reviews, I concluded that the beneficiary's passport, appointment confirmation email, & invitation letter (aka "packet 3") are going to be asked at the medical exam, ASC and consular interview (I also read the DS-260 will be asked right away at the Consulate). I put these papers mentioned in the beginning of the binder for easy access. Behind these documents, I put the rest of the papers.

Also, I'm using 8 dividers with the following titles/papers under each tab:

1. K Visa/Fiance(e) Packet (the one you print from: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html),

2. Packet 3 letter, Appointment Confirmation email, beneficiary's passport, & DS-260 confirmation

3. MRV Fee Receipt (this is the $350 one)

4. DS-156 (3 copies) & beneficiary passport style pictures (4 copies just in case)

5. DS-156K (3 copies), Beneficiary's birth certificate AND copy, Antecedentes no penales

6. Intent to marry letters (dated close to interview), Itineraries and boarding passes (petitioner's visit to Mexico), Skype screenshots, texting records, & pictures (all labeled on the back with: name of ppl in pic, date taken, location taken)

7. I-134, Employer's letter, last 10 months pay stubs, Income tax 2010 (also 2009 and 2008), & bank letter (states when I opened the account, how much is my average balance, and my current balance...printed on the bank's letter head)

8. Petitioner's birth certificate AND COPY, & Petitioner's passport and copy

...Still a work in progress!!!

By the way, here's a link to a helpful consulate review: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=87048

Edited by Alejandra y Mario
  • 12.30.2010: I-129F sent
  • 01.05.2011: I-129F received & signed by Cates
  • 01.06.2011: NOA 1
  • 04.25.2011: NOA 2
    ~~~NOA1 to NOA2: 109 days~~~
  • 04.29.2011: NVC received
  • 05.16.2011: NVC left (I don't know why my packet was held at NVC for over 2 weeks)
  • 05.19.2011: Consulate received & signed by Jesus
  • 05.17.2011: Packet 3's date on letter (so it appears my letter was written before it was received at the Consulate...)
  • 06.06.2011: Packet 3 mailed to petitioner in CA
  • 06.10.2011: Packet 3 arrived a CA
  • 07.05.2011: Medical
  • 07.06.2011: ASC appointment
  • 07.07.2011: Interview

event.png

Timeline

I'm organizing the papers very similar to Kimchimex. I will be using a 1.5 inch 3 ring binder with plastic sleeves. After reading several consulate reviews, I concluded that the beneficiary's passport, appointment confirmation email, & invitation letter (aka "packet 3") are going to be asked at the medical exam, ASC and consular interview (I also read the DS-260 will be asked right away at the Consulate). I put these papers mentioned in the beginning of the binder for easy access. Behind these documents, I put the rest of the papers.

Also, I'm using 8 dividers with the following titles/papers under each tab:

1. K Visa/Fiance(e) Packet (the one you print from: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html),

2. Packet 3 letter, Appointment Confirmation email, beneficiary's passport, & DS-260 confirmation

3. MRV Fee Receipt (this is the $350 one)

4. DS-156 (3 copies) & beneficiary passport style pictures (4 copies just in case)

5. DS-156K (3 copies), Beneficiary's birth certificate AND copy, Antecedentes no penales

6. Intent to marry letters (dated close to interview), Itineraries and boarding passes (petitioner's visit to Mexico), Skype screenshots, texting records, & pictures (all labeled on the back with: name of ppl in pic, date taken, location taken)

7. I-134, Employer's letter, last 10 months pay stubs, Income tax 2010 (also 2009 and 2008), & bank letter (states when I opened the account, how much is my average balance, and my current balance...printed on the bank's letter head)

8. Petitioner's birth certificate AND COPY, & Petitioner's passport and copy

...Still a work in progress!!!

By the way, here's a link to a helpful consulate review: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=87048

You and Kimichimex sound like you're doing it similar to how I did it.. but I don't have a binder, just the accordian folder.. they are probably about the same size though. I don't have the payment confirmation (I unfortunately didn't print that page.. :bonk: ... but I do have the appointment confirmation that has the MRV Fee confirmation number.. I hope that's enough!

Thanks for the link to that review too! I'll have my fiance read it cuz he's nervous about everything, maybe it will make him feel a little better to know how things are going to work when we go lol

I'm ALMOST done putting everything together, just need him to go get his pictures taken and stuff.. :)

Timeline

I'm ALMOST done putting everything together, just need him to go get his pictures taken and stuff.. :)

My fiance has had problems getting the right size passport picture in Mexico. If you don't want to wait until he mails you the passport style pictures, have him take a picture and email it to you. Then, go to this website http://www.epassportphoto.com/ and you can make the picture yourself. I printed mine at Costco for 13cents and a sheet gives you 5 pictures.

P.S. The program "epassport" is free, just make sure that you select "No thanks" (it's in tiny letter at the bottom of the "Print the Sheet" page) so you don't have to pay...

Buena suerte :)

Edited by Alejandra y Mario
  • 12.30.2010: I-129F sent
  • 01.05.2011: I-129F received & signed by Cates
  • 01.06.2011: NOA 1
  • 04.25.2011: NOA 2
    ~~~NOA1 to NOA2: 109 days~~~
  • 04.29.2011: NVC received
  • 05.16.2011: NVC left (I don't know why my packet was held at NVC for over 2 weeks)
  • 05.19.2011: Consulate received & signed by Jesus
  • 05.17.2011: Packet 3's date on letter (so it appears my letter was written before it was received at the Consulate...)
  • 06.06.2011: Packet 3 mailed to petitioner in CA
  • 06.10.2011: Packet 3 arrived a CA
  • 07.05.2011: Medical
  • 07.06.2011: ASC appointment
  • 07.07.2011: Interview

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey guys how many passport photos should he have total?

We saw that he'll have to attach one to the DS-156, but does he also have to do it for the DS-156K? How about for anything else? I think he'll have to get his photo done again because we're running low on copies. Also, how recent does it need to be and do they ever really check anyway to make sure it was done within that time frame?

07.24.09 Met in Mexico.

03.18.10 Began dating via internet.

07.10.10 Arrived in Mexico, 2nd trip.

12.16.10 Returned home to US. Last time I've seen him :(

12.20.10 I-129f sent to Dallas.

12.28.10 I-129f received.

12.30.10 NOA1

05.04.11 NOA2

05.07.11 Received hardcopy NOA2 in the mail.

05.31.11 NVC receive.

06.02.11 NVC sent.

06.02.11 Consulate Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Received.

06.13.11 Packet 3 Sent. (i.e. submitting DS-260 and filling out and printing DS-156 and DS-156K)

06.14.11 Scheduled ASC and interview.

07.10.11 Departure to Mexico City.

07.11.11 Mexico City to Juárez.

07.12.11 Medical

07.13.11 ASC appointment

07.14.11 INTERVIEW! and APPROVED!! :)

07.21.11 Visa in Transit.

07.22.11 Visa Ready to be Picked Up @ DHL.

07.23.11 Picked up visa @ DHL.

07.23.11 Crossed border to El Paso.

07.24.11 Flight to Boston and FINALLY IN MY ARMS AGAIN!!! Thank you Lord!

09.17.11 Married!

09.27.11 Sent in papers for AOS

02.13.12 Received RFE

Timeline

My fiance has had problems getting the right size passport picture in Mexico. If you don't want to wait until he mails you the passport style pictures, have him take a picture and email it to you. Then, go to this website http://www.epassportphoto.com/ and you can make the picture yourself. I printed mine at Costco for 13cents and a sheet gives you 5 pictures.

P.S. The program "epassport" is free, just make sure that you select "No thanks" (it's in tiny letter at the bottom of the "Print the Sheet" page) so you don't have to pay...

Buena suerte :)

Thank you! I was wondering about that because the picture size is a bit different..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.