ghunt2121

Additional Appointment

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

We went for our interview last Wednesday, June 8, at the US Embassy in Bogotá. What a horribly ugly place!

We were seen by the consul at about noon, 5 hours after arriving, and he said that we had a very good case, but were missing several documents and that "I can't issue the visas until I have these documents". This was a list of three things... 1] my income tax return for last year (which was not requested in the instructions sent by the embassy) 2] Birth Certificates for the two children, which we had, but there was some technical issue with them and they had be be obtained again and re-delivered and 3] Baptism documents for the children ( something I don't really understand since this is not a government issued or controlled document, why would it be required? - besides which, the instructions say "if available" -- well, they were not readily available -- the family did not have them, so we did not include them).

Ok, so all that aside, let's stipulate that all of this is reasonable, useful and correct and that they really should have those documents to complete the record. Ok. The consul said that they were giving second-pass appointments for such situations in something like 10 or 12 days right now. A bit of a wait, but, oh well. When my fiancée called 45 minutes ago to make the appointment (it took us this long to get the additional documents together) we were told that the earliest appointment date was 11th of July, more than a month from our interview date (June 8).

Since, according to the consul, this is simply a matter of delivering lacking documents, and not a continuation of the interview process, I think that it is ridiculous that anyone should have to wait a month simply to deliver additional documents and cause an additional month delay in a process already over 9 months long (petition was sent to VSC on Sept 1, 2010).

Please help... is there any way to get an expedited appointment date?

Edited by ghunt2121

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We went for our interview last Wednesday, June 8, at the US Embassy in Bogotá. What a horribly ugly place!

We were seen by the consul at about noon, 5 hours after arriving, and he said that we had a very good case, but were missing several documents and that "I can't issue the visas until I have these documents". This was a list of three things... 1] my income tax return for last year (which was not requested in the instructions sent by the embassy) 2] Birth Certificates for the two children, which we had, but there was some technical issue with them and they had be be obtained again and re-delivered and 3] Baptism documents for the children ( something I don't really understand since this is not a government issued or controlled document, why would it be required? - besides which, the instructions say "if available" -- well, they were not readily available -- the family did not have them, so we did not include them).

Ok, so all that aside, let's stipulate that all of this is reasonable, useful and correct and that they really should have those documents to complete the record. Ok. The consul said that they were giving second-pass appointments for such situations in something like 10 or 12 days right now. A bit of a wait, but, oh well. When my fiancée called 45 minutes ago to make the appointment (it took us this long to get the additional documents together) we were told that the earliest appointment date was 11th of July, more than a month from our interview date (June 8).

Since, according to the consul, this is simply a matter of delivering lacking documents, and not a continuation of the interview process, I think that it is ridiculous that anyone should have to wait a month simply to deliver additional documents and cause an additional month delay in a process already over 9 months long (petition was sent to VSC on Sept 1, 2010).

Please help... is there any way to get an expedited appointment date?

ghunt2121,

The bad part is the hassle of getting an appointment to show the documents and having to wait a month to do so, the CO shouldn't have given you a time frame since they're not in charge of assigning the appointments. The good thing is that your fiancée only needs to go to the embassy on the day of the appointment, show the CO the documents that were requested, and the visas will be approved.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Could you be more specific on this one?

2] Birth Certificates for the two children, which we had, but there was some technical issue with them and they had be be obtained again and re-delivered and .

Are we talking about Your Kids or your fiance Kids?

What is the Issue with the documents that you summited?

Regards

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.