Up in the Sky

Crime in GUZ

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Me and my wife just view a news video about Guz and there were robbers on motor bikes robbering Chinese and American victims in Bus stations and near the consulate. I also heard hear on VJ that someone got their document stolen as they went to their interview.

Now I'm planning not to take cash in hand but use ATM instead. From watching the video no one helped each other while a crime is being committed. I saw a lady being drag with her purse and 4 other people just look and walked passed.

I'm no worry I'm just afraid I might do something stupid when protecting my wife and me....geezzz it's good to be cautious but now it's in my head about the city. And being that Guz get a lot of foreigners going there...

just a thought this topic might get moved...

04/06/11 Automatic recorder on the NVC machine stated that my package was received this date and have to wait 6-8 weeks for next responds

04/16/11 RFE issing my spouse passport biopage

04/18/11 Email back the missing paperwork for NVC

04/19/11 Email from NVC they recieved the RFE I sent.

04/20/11 Spoke with NVC they say have to wait 20days for change

05/16/11 Spoke with NVC they say "case is complete, and that their interview appointment is full for June- to call back in June 17 for a interview appointment time for July most likely."

05/16/11 SIF on the payment portal website

05/20/11 Interview letter arrived via email for June 15 interview date in Guz

06/13/11 Medical Test today

06/15/11 Doc intake

06/16/11 Interview day waited for my wife at the embassy

06/16/11 APPROVE

06/18/11 Visa in her hand at China post office

6/23/11 Land in US at San Francisco airport

7/11/11 Waiting for her SSN card, received her Green Card Already

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, I think as a westerner you are going to be an obvious target and it is quite common for people to not get involved. Not getting involved has a lot to do with some recent cases where people were falsely blamed and sentenced for being a "good Samaritan." This has created a much more widespread attitude of detachment when people see bad things happening...of course they will watch. I had two guys following me and my wife in Chongqing and I noticed this when I deliberately changed course along the streets a few times. I waited for a good opportunity and then made a direct loop onto them, at which point they turned around and went the other way. I guess they wanted a good chance but lost the advantage and bugged out. The only problem is that as an American, you really don't want to cause trouble, just avoid it, because you are a FOREIGNER and held to the laws of China while you are there. Don't wear anything flashy and carry your cash in an inconvenient place and you should have no troubles. It also helps if you have the size and attitude advantage. :innocent: Good luck!

From the Chinese point, I honestly don't blame the criminals. They know that if you have the money to come to China then you have more somewhere and you are also a foreigner who is there with "their" women. It is a silly way to think, but you see it here in the states as well.

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.