libragodess

Non-Muslim SO's Practice Ramadan with their Muslim SO

77 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't really understand what you're saying. Do you think people are supposed to be sad during Ramadan? Morocco is one of the less strict Muslim countries as you know I'm sure... but still people do observe Ramadan and are happy to do so.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand what you're saying. Do you think people are supposed to be sad during Ramadan? Morocco is one of the less strict Muslim countries as you know I'm sure... but still people do observe Ramadan and are happy to do so.

No, I agree! I like Ramadan in Morocco -- I am just saying that as it is observed in Morocco it is not very difficult as a "fast" -- I reallze that poorer people in the country do not eat very lavishly. Even so, I lived for 2 years in a village and we ate very very well :) I am not saying anything major at all -- just that Ramadan probably differs from place to place. Life really does shut down in Morocco - people have different working hours, businesses close, and there are literally hordes of sleeping men on the side of the road! I am talking about "real" Morocco, not Rabat or Casablanca -- I mean the "bled."

People are very festive and happy in Ramadan - it really is a fun time. We always settled in around the TV (anybody see "Lalla Fatima" while they were in Morocco?) and slurped our harira. When the call to prayer started I would start to drool. The shared "suffering" is what it is all about. But, as I said before, what really surprised me was that it wasn't very difficult to do Ramadan as Moroccan. It is more joyful and well.... full of calories!

Timeline

Gotcha.

So why do you think it is easier to observe Ramadan in Morocco than in other countries? Just curious!

Sarah

It seems like you are really generalizing the entire Moroccan population with what you said.

Oh well. I lived in the following places: Beni Mellal, Azilal, Er-Rachidia province, and Rabat. I spent my first Ramadan in Fes and Azilal and in a mountain village. The 2nd one in Beni Mellal and a tiny little village in Er-Rachidia province. The 3rd Ramadan was Rabati (wow, what a difference!). I'm just calling it like I see it. I figure variation within the population would be assumed.

Timeline

I'm just curious is all.... that's cool that you lived there for so long. What do you think makes Ramadan so much easier in Moroccan than in other countries? (in your opinion)

Gotcha.

So why do you think it is easier to observe Ramadan in Morocco than in other countries? Just curious!

Sarah

Because it is shared. Like everyone is saying here -- we still have to work (in the US) - usually pretty early. In Morocco it is literally against the law to break the fast before sundown and people are prosecuted if caught. Here, everything goes. I think it will take more self-control. Anyway, I have never done Ramadan here (and husband is coming right in the middle of it) -- so we will see! Maybe it will be better than I think.

Sorry to generalize but it really is true that people get lazy during Ramadan. People still work, but you should see quality. More bus accidents happen at this time. I avoid public transportation during Ramadan. Anyway, I am rambling off-point... I think in the US we are focused on high-standard work-ethics and are very result-oriented. Over there I think it is more about the quality of the experience so it is no big deal to basically shut down the country for a month and relax. My husband still has to run his business and wake up at 6:00 and not drink water all day (difficult) but all the men that work on his projects come in late, sleep as much as possible and go home early. It is expected.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
In Morocco it is literally against the law to break the fast before sundown and people are prosecuted if caught.

Wow, I didn't know this. Do you know what sort of punishments are given?

Timeline

Thanks for explaining that to me and it makes sense that you say it is shared in Moroco. That is a good point. Congrats on your husband coming! Take care,

Sarah

Thanks for explaining that to me and it makes sense that you say it is shared in Moroco. That is a good point. Congrats on your husband coming! Take care,

Sarah

Congrats on your husband coming too! Two Hichams are better than one! :) (Now if I can get my family to pronounce his name correctly. Do you ever just spell it Hisham so people will get it?)

Timeline

Sarah

Congrats on your husband coming too! Two Hichams are better than one! :) (Now if I can get my family to pronounce his name correctly. Do you ever just spell it Hisham so people will get it?)

haha my mom feels so bad cause she is completely incapable of pronouncing that is "foreign". I haven't thought to spell it like that but it's a good idea. He gave his name at a restaurant and when they called his named they called "Justin! Justin!" It was so funny.

What did you do in Morocco for that long?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I hope to share in our second Ramadan together. Last year I fasted only on weekends and not sure about this year yet. Will try my best. My husband also says you do not sleep all day as that isn't the point. We go about our daily lives during the week and weekend. He still plays soccer, not eating or drinking until the right time, that always worries me because he definitely needs the water but he won't. Next year he may travel back to Morocco during this time as I know he misses the "social gatherings". He really looks forward to this time of the year.

Doreen

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.