britishspouse

CR1 Visa London Medical Experience

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hey folks!!

Well here is my experience of the medical which I had today!!

Firstly, UK sized passport photos are OK I called up 3 hours before I was due in, to double check and they said yes UK ones were fine. So to the people about to get their US ones done, you dont need them for the medical, however You will for the interview, but it eases the rush

My medical was booked for 3:30pm, Im ALWAYS early, and turned up at 2:40pm. Gave the girl at reception my documents, she handed me a quick form to fill in, much like the questionnaire, and then led me to the VERY crowded waiting room. There are 2 sofa's and some chairs, but there were people standing too, I counted 18 people there in total.

After about 15 mins I was called through to the vaccination nurse who told me although im up to date, The US require you to have had 3 MMR jabs in your lifetime, so although by UK standards im covered, by US im not, so I have scheduled another on thursday at my GP, didnt want to shell out the 36ish quid for it there and then.

After that, I was led into a smaller waiting room. About 20 minutes later A nice happy chap led me into the X ray room. I was told to undress top half only, and put on a robe. Then he x ray 'd my chest, and led me back into the waiting room, still in the robe.

About 20 more minutes later and the nurse came to get me for my actual medical, she was a really nice indian lady. First she took my height and weight (See below***), then led me to the bed and did a quick eye test, checked out my mouth and ears and drew blood. After that listened to my heart, and took my blood pressure. Lifted up my leggings quickly, had a quick glance 'down there' and that was that. She also asked me how often I have smear tests, and if they were clean and asked a few questions about hubbys job and the occupation I intend to fulfill (this may have just been chitchat).

With regards to my weight. Basically when I moved to America on my student visa in 2006 I was 140 lbs.... now in 2011 I have ballooned to 230 lbs.. EEK !! Well although my blood pressure is fine, my BMI is not, so she says im in the 'dangerous' range and that after 6 months I have to check in with a GP in america to ensure I have dropped in. She said it will not affect the Visa, and basically the medical is complete, but there will be like an extra step for me, which will be the checking in to ensure Im losing weight and thus not becoming a bit fatty burden on America :P

All in all a good day. When I came out the waiting room was empty, the Spousal ones take much longer than the fiancee medicals, they were zipping in and out. Paid the 210 pounds and on thursday after my jab they will fax it to the doctors, who said they will then continue to send my completed medical results to the embassy that day.

Total time from posting I-130 to VISA in hand 7 months 21 days :D

timeline.jpg?t=1311777984

Thanks for posting this. I feel so much better now I know what to expect.

I am a few months off having the medical, but thanks to you I can now make sure I have the Third MMR Jab.

Guess I should prepare myself for the BMI lecture too. Lol

Thanks again

Mike

Hey folks!!

Well here is my experience of the medical which I had today!!

Firstly, UK sized passport photos are OK I called up 3 hours before I was due in, to double check and they said yes UK ones were fine. So to the people about to get their US ones done, you dont need them for the medical, however You will for the interview, but it eases the rush

My medical was booked for 3:30pm, Im ALWAYS early, and turned up at 2:40pm. Gave the girl at reception my documents, she handed me a quick form to fill in, much like the questionnaire, and then led me to the VERY crowded waiting room. There are 2 sofa's and some chairs, but there were people standing too, I counted 18 people there in total.

After about 15 mins I was called through to the vaccination nurse who told me although im up to date, The US require you to have had 3 MMR jabs in your lifetime, so although by UK standards im covered, by US im not, so I have scheduled another on thursday at my GP, didnt want to shell out the 36ish quid for it there and then.

After that, I was led into a smaller waiting room. About 20 minutes later A nice happy chap led me into the X ray room. I was told to undress top half only, and put on a robe. Then he x ray 'd my chest, and led me back into the waiting room, still in the robe.

About 20 more minutes later and the nurse came to get me for my actual medical, she was a really nice indian lady. First she took my height and weight (See below***), then led me to the bed and did a quick eye test, checked out my mouth and ears and drew blood. After that listened to my heart, and took my blood pressure. Lifted up my leggings quickly, had a quick glance 'down there' and that was that. She also asked me how often I have smear tests, and if they were clean and asked a few questions about hubbys job and the occupation I intend to fulfill (this may have just been chitchat).

With regards to my weight. Basically when I moved to America on my student visa in 2006 I was 140 lbs.... now in 2011 I have ballooned to 230 lbs.. EEK !! Well although my blood pressure is fine, my BMI is not, so she says im in the 'dangerous' range and that after 6 months I have to check in with a GP in america to ensure I have dropped in. She said it will not affect the Visa, and basically the medical is complete, but there will be like an extra step for me, which will be the checking in to ensure Im losing weight and thus not becoming a bit fatty burden on America :P

All in all a good day. When I came out the waiting room was empty, the Spousal ones take much longer than the fiancee medicals, they were zipping in and out. Paid the 210 pounds and on thursday after my jab they will fax it to the doctors, who said they will then continue to send my completed medical results to the embassy that day.

Hi, i got the blood test done for MMR to see if I am immune or not. I am immune that means i got it done when I was young. Does that mean I have to get MMR again?

I recently had Hepetises B need 3 dozes within 3 months..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi, i got the blood test done for MMR to see if I am immune or not. I am immune that means i got it done when I was young. Does that mean I have to get MMR again?

I recently had Hepetises B need 3 dozes within 3 months..

No if you can prove your immune to all 3 you shall be fine.

She told me if I had the titer and was only immune to 2, id have to have the jab anyway so im just going to go ahead with the jab :)

Edited by britishspouse

Total time from posting I-130 to VISA in hand 7 months 21 days :D

timeline.jpg?t=1311777984

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.