Shelley and Danor

Letter of familial approval of relationship, engagement, intent to marry

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi,

I've searched the forums here for info on this but haven't had much luck. I'm attaching letters of familial approval both from my family and from my fiances family in Algeria for our relationship and coming marriage (K-1 visa). I was advised to do this for Algeria, as I don't have some of the basic forms of documentation (i.e. ticket stubs, or a good passport stamp). I am trying to find out what language my fiance needs to have his affidavits written it, or translated to, and if translated to English, who should do the translating? His native tongue is Kabyle Berber, but he also speaks French, Arabic, and English. His Mom and Dad, however, are illiterate, but can speak Arabic, French, and Berber as well.

Also, should the format for this affidavit be roughly the same as other affidavits I've seen for married couples? Thanks for any help you all can give me!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Burkina Faso
Timeline

Hi,

I've searched the forums here for info on this but haven't had much luck. I'm attaching letters of familial approval both from my family and from my fiances family in Algeria for our relationship and coming marriage (K-1 visa). I was advised to do this for Algeria, as I don't have some of the basic forms of documentation (i.e. ticket stubs, or a good passport stamp). I am trying to find out what language my fiance needs to have his affidavits written it, or translated to, and if translated to English, who should do the translating? His native tongue is Kabyle Berber, but he also speaks French, Arabic, and English. His Mom and Dad, however, are illiterate, but can speak Arabic, French, and Berber as well.

Also, should the format for this affidavit be roughly the same as other affidavits I've seen for married couples? Thanks for any help you all can give me!

Not sure if this will help, but I only included a letter from my parents (as well as a friend and employer) in my K1 petition. We will bring a few letters from his side for the visa interview - at that stage they don't need to be translated if they are in the local language (ie in Algeria I would imagine that french and arabic would be ok). If you want to submit to USCIS with the rest of your K1 app, my understanding is that the letters do need to be translated to english. If I am not mistaken the guidelines say that it must be translated by a third party who certifies their ability to perform a french to english (for example) translation. Although I've heard that some applicants just translate the docs themselves.

I'm not sure that having a letter from his parents would help you get around not having primary evidence of being in Algeria, though, although it might help establish that it is a bona fide relationship. Were you in Algeria for work or school - if so could they write a letter certifying when you were there? Also, if you received FF miles for the flight, you could attach the statement showing that those miles were credited. Are both your entry and exit passport stamps faded/illegible? I would think that if one of the two were legible, it would probably be acceptable, especially if you have passport stamps from previous trips.

Re his parents being illiterate - does he have another senior family member who is literate and can attest to the fact that the family approves of the relationship? eg an older brother, uncle, etc? If so, that person could write the letter. Another option would be to get someone to transcribe the letter for his parents.

My parents' letter just said that although they haven't met my fiance (at the time - my dad has met him since we filed), they have emailed and spoken on the phone with him and they approve of the relationship and think it is a good match, giving a few reasons why. They also said that since my dad emigrated to the US from france, they are aware of what is involved in marrying an immigrant and are supportive of our decision. It was actually a very sweet letter, especially since I hadn't really told them what to write :)

Timeline

Not sure if this will help, but I only included a letter from my parents (as well as a friend and employer) in my K1 petition. We will bring a few letters from his side for the visa interview - at that stage they don't need to be translated if they are in the local language (ie in Algeria I would imagine that french and arabic would be ok). If you want to submit to USCIS with the rest of your K1 app, my understanding is that the letters do need to be translated to english. If I am not mistaken the guidelines say that it must be translated by a third party who certifies their ability to perform a french to english (for example) translation. Although I've heard that some applicants just translate the docs themselves.

I'm not sure that having a letter from his parents would help you get around not having primary evidence of being in Algeria, though, although it might help establish that it is a bona fide relationship. Were you in Algeria for work or school - if so could they write a letter certifying when you were there? Also, if you received FF miles for the flight, you could attach the statement showing that those miles were credited. Are both your entry and exit passport stamps faded/illegible? I would think that if one of the two were legible, it would probably be acceptable, especially if you have passport stamps from previous trips.

Re his parents being illiterate - does he have another senior family member who is literate and can attest to the fact that the family approves of the relationship? eg an older brother, uncle, etc? If so, that person could write the letter. Another option would be to get someone to transcribe the letter for his parents.

My parents' letter just said that although they haven't met my fiance (at the time - my dad has met him since we filed), they have emailed and spoken on the phone with him and they approve of the relationship and think it is a good match, giving a few reasons why. They also said that since my dad emigrated to the US from france, they are aware of what is involved in marrying an immigrant and are supportive of our decision. It was actually a very sweet letter, especially since I hadn't really told them what to write :)

Timeline

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I think what we are going to do is hopefully have the notary transcribe the statements from his parents into french or english if possible. If not we'll have a third party translate it. I guess we're not going to go with any particular form...Just a letter that mentions all names and places. birthdates, etc. and their sentiments. I hope this will be ok. I wasn't in Algeria for work or as a student, I went solely to visit my fiance, only we were just dating then, so somehow a lot got lost. I just found out that he is going to get a receipt from a doctor I saw while there, as well as a hotel receipt. This should help a lot along with our pics together, etc.

Timeline

Hello,

from what u asked u need to give few details (how u guys met,did u travel together , or u just traveled to algeria)..cause all this will count.

The letters can be good evidence that all ure both families and friends know and approves u guys.(it is okay if they are translated, usually there are at embassy people speaking: arabic french and berber for translation and sometimes the counsilor him self do speka frensh ...)..the most important is to have real people that will say the truth..the language can always be translet by somebody at embassy or out side.

i have a question: in ure topic: u said: coming marriage (K-1 visa). ...becareful: u can NOT apply for a K1 visa if ure married( civil marriage in Algeria ,or even the fatiha the religeous marriage)

If u guys are already married in Algeria, u will haev to go for a Cr1..if im not wrong!!...u should check here in the forum for more info.

Cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.