byebye

Which to do? I729f or I-130 for fiancee in Ethiopia

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Question for any of you on this forum that can suggest or have any tips on which way to file? My fiancee lives in Ethiopia, and I live in U.S., we're not sure which way to go since processing times can vary, but we're afraid of filing fiancee visa and getting denied...but we are not sure either, if we should get married in Ethiopia, and file for the I-130 when I get back to the states? which is easier? I met my fiancee back in april 2011, and I'm going back to visit this august, so I dont know if we should just get married and pay one time, and if it would be faster for us? dont know what to do? we are so in love and want to be together soon, but which way would be better for us to go? any tips? thanks!! :yes:

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

The fiancee visa is faster than IR1 visa by just one or two months. It is, however, more expensive since you will have to pay for the AOS (add the hassle of filing paperwork). Personally, I think getting married and filing for I-130 makes more sense financially. It is also less risky as IR1 visa will show that you already made the marriage commitment.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

The fiancee visa is faster than IR1 visa by just one or two months. It is, however, more expensive since you will have to pay for the AOS (add the hassle of filing paperwork). Personally, I think getting married and filing for I-130 makes more sense financially. It is also less risky as IR1 visa will show that you already made the marriage commitment.

The AOS, does that happen when he comes here? or do we have to do all that before he gets the Visa to come? it's hard as we do intend on getting married either way, but he says in Ethiopia, it can be difficult to get the I-130 as many of his friends have gone through it, and are still waiting...so the $340 we pay at the beginning is just to get the petition filed, right? then after the AOS? thanks for your input, we appreciate it!! :)

Filed: Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

The AOS, does that happen when he comes here? or do we have to do all that before he gets the Visa to come? it's hard as we do intend on getting married either way, but he says in Ethiopia, it can be difficult to get the I-130 as many of his friends have gone through it, and are still waiting...so the $340 we pay at the beginning is just to get the petition filed, right? then after the AOS? thanks for your input, we appreciate it!! :)

If you go through the fiancee route, and once he visa is approved, your fiancee has to move to the US then you should marry within 90 days. That is when you will apply for the AOS (within 90 days of arrival). The fiancee visa was introduced because I-130 used to take a long time. At this time, they relatively take the same time. Many people who are not aware of the current I-130 processing trend will advice you to go through the fiancee route. You should just know that they take about the same time (may be I-130 takes one more month or so). The rest will be your decision. Many people avoid traveling to overseas to get married and arrange their marriage in the US. Also, it won't cost you more to apply for a fiancee visa (you will pay for the I-130 fee anyway).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Basically, it is you who has to make the decision but it worth to look to all options . As fazmo said K-1visa used to take half of the time of the CR-1 while your fiancée was outside US and depending on the person, there is another 2-4 months in US before your fiancée gets his Green Card. However, now both process lines took the same time outside US and there is another 2-4 more months for the K-1. On the top of that, fiancée case has more chance of denial decision than the married case; however I have met few individuals that their CR-1 visa denied by the consulate office. Both cases need very tangible and credible evidences to prove the relationship as well as the marriage.

Good Luck

K-1 Time Line

Service Center:_California Service Center

Consulate: _Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: _2011-03-20

I-129F NOA1:_ 2011-03-30

I-129F NOA2:_2011-06-18

NVC Received: _2011-07-19

NVC Left:_2011-07-20

Consulate Received:_2011-07-25

Packet 3 Received: _2011-07-28

Packet 3 Sent: _2011-07-29

Packet 4 Received:_ 2011-08-09

Interview Date: _ 2011-08-24

Interview Result:_ Approved(After 3 weeks AP)

Visa Received:_2011-09-21

US Entry:_@ JFK 2011-11-16

Marriage: _2011-12-20

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed: _2012-02-07

NOA Date: _2012-02-13

Bio. Appt. Notice recieved_2012-02-17

Bio. Appt.:2012-03-12@ 8:00 AM in Columbus OH

Bio Done:2012-03-05 WALK IN- Columbus OH

State ID: 2012-03-05

DL Permit: 2012-03-08

AOS Transfer: 2012-03-14

AOS Touched @ USCIS: 2012-03-21

EAD/AP Approved & Card Producton: 2012-04-03

EAD/AP on Hand:2012-04-11

AOS_RFE: 2012-09-28

RFE Sent: 2012-11-09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.