swsunshine

proof of taking kids out of the UK

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everybody, I'm having a little difficulty getting an answer to my question from the London embassy, it's like banging my head against a brick wall. So I wondered if anyone here might have a similar experience? basically I have 2 children and we're emigrating to be with my husband in the states. he's a US citizen and we're British. My children have different fathers and neither have been on the scene for a very long time. My sons father isn't even on the birth certificate so i know I don't even need permission from anyone to just travel with him. My daughter is 16 and her father has emigrated to Canada, hasn't seen her since she was 18 months old and I have a letter from CSA stating he last paid maintenance in 2002 and they closed the case in 2005. However I have been told that at interview stage I will need to prove the right to take them out of the country, when I asked London what kind of proof they just said something like a letter from a court. So I contacted my local court and after much to-ing and fro-ing they said they don't know what to tell me. In my son's case, there is no-one to take to court. In my daughter's case it could be a case of going to court to get a court order for residency, which is costly, plus when I divorced custody was automatically given to the mother and the absent parent had to fight for it. It wasn't written down unless they took you to court. That only changed if you divorced after 2002. But I don't know where my ex husband lives, apart from Canada. But they won't just give me a letter, only a court case. So, I went back to the Embassy and they said just wait til we call you for interview and we'll tell you what to bring. However, I feel like this is wasting valuable time. If I have to go to court and find my ex husband after 14 years, I would like to use the next few months doing so, not wait til I get to interview and they turn me down for my visa then start that process. my husband is currently in Afghanistan and I would very much like to get to the states in time for his homecoming and and spend some very valuable time with him. not be stuck here fighting for custody of a child I already have. is anyone going through the process with children and absent fathers? If so, what proof of your right to your child do you have or have you been told to get? Just a little glimmer of help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I answered this same question here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/308534-help-with-interview-at-embassy/page__p__4649462#entry4649462

Did you read the linked threads that are full of UK experiences? There's one saying the embassy let them sign an affidavit at the interview. No proofs.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.