keysjangle

I-130, question 14 help D:

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I posted this earlier in CR-1 forum but didn't get a satisfactory answer :\

My husband (the USC/Petitioner) will be filing my I-130 (For CR-1) while I'm with him for a summer visit in Hawaii.

If he answers that I'm a visitor in the U.S. at the time of filing, how am I supposed to fill the form? I will be leaving to go back to Toronto after a 10 week visit.

The last two summers I've gone for long visits I got a B2 stamp in my passport (at Pearson customs) without issue, so I'm going to assume it will happen again.

So assuming I get that B2, what would we put in for question 14?

"If your relative is currently in the U.S., complete the following: He or she arrived as a: "B-2 Visitor" ??

"Arrival/Departure Record (I-94): | | | |-| | | | | | | | |" ---> What in high heaven would I put here?

"Date Arrived:" Would be the day I crossed the border with B2?

"Date authorized stay expired, or will expire, as shown on Form I-94 or I-95:" I would assume this would be the 6 month expiry date for B2, however it asks for I-94/95, so...?

Advice? Thanks anyone. I know a lot of people do this for their I-130, it just seems they haven't replied to my first cry for :help:

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Hey there, I'll take a stab at it. I studied in Hawaii for two years and met my wife there. Now we're living in Mexico doing DCF!

For a 10 week visit as a Canadian citizen rarely have I encountered getting an I-94. But if you get one, just be completely honest. When he files, again be honest, there is nothing wrong with you going to the States for a visit when he files. You are married after all.

I would bring ties back to Canada, an employment letter, lease, car registration, or if you're in school show that you're enrolled. A ticket back home would be the most important thing.

They shouldn't hassle you, but bring some ties back to Canada, and just be honest. I've crossed 3 times into the US since we filed and never had any issues. Also the fact that you haven't filed yet shouldn't raise any red flags at the border.

I posted this earlier in CR-1 forum but didn't get a satisfactory answer :\

My husband (the USC/Petitioner) will be filing my I-130 (For CR-1) while I'm with him for a summer visit in Hawaii.

If he answers that I'm a visitor in the U.S. at the time of filing, how am I supposed to fill the form? I will be leaving to go back to Toronto after a 10 week visit.

The last two summers I've gone for long visits I got a B2 stamp in my passport (at Pearson customs) without issue, so I'm going to assume it will happen again.

So assuming I get that B2, what would we put in for question 14?

"If your relative is currently in the U.S., complete the following: He or she arrived as a: "B-2 Visitor" ??

"Arrival/Departure Record (I-94): | | | |-| | | | | | | | |" ---> What in high heaven would I put here?

"Date Arrived:" Would be the day I crossed the border with B2?

"Date authorized stay expired, or will expire, as shown on Form I-94 or I-95:" I would assume this would be the 6 month expiry date for B2, however it asks for I-94/95, so...?

Advice? Thanks anyone. I know a lot of people do this for their I-130, it just seems they haven't replied to my first cry for :help:

Timeline

I always come loaded with ties, but I've never been asked to show more than my itinerary (showing my return flight home). Usually the officers joke with me and it just makes me more freaked out.

Last time I went to the U.S. in April it went smoothly except the officer, a very dashing young man, got light hearted with me:

Him: "You're 21 and married? That's too young!"

Me: "aaahuheheuheuh ehe yeah true love, you know, hhstegahgojshgfsd"

Got the all clear, wiped my clammy palms and trundled out to my gate lol.

Anyway, this question about #14 on I-130 is really bumming me out, it's the ONE thing I can't figure out on my own :( I've never gotten an I-94 at customs before, only when coming back from the states... and on my way there to fill in before I go to customs. On my way to the States, they always take it after I get the thumbs up from the customs officer. And obviously on my way home, at Pearson you give it to officers after picking up your bags.

SO I'm totally lost.

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

The bottom line is you have a Canadian passport, and we are the exception. The US does not require a visa to cross the border.

"If your relative is currently in the U.S., complete the following: He or she arrived as a: "B-2 Visitor" ?? (NO because you're a Canadian - Visa-Free travel).

"Arrival/Departure Record (I-94): | | | |-| | | | | | | | |" ---> What in high heaven would I put here? (Date you arrived, And date of departure as per your travel Itinerary).

"Date Arrived:" Would be the day I crossed the border with B2? (Yup)

"Date authorized stay expired, or will expire, as shown on Form I-94 or I-95:" I would assume this would be the 6 month expiry date for B2, however it asks for I-94/95, so...? (Yes, but again your passport allows you to travel Visa Free). So 180 days (6 months).

Timeline

okay so if I put:

AunW1.jpg

how's that?

(assumed dates for my next trip on a mock up form)

oh would I put N/A for the last part, or just leave with the 6 month date. i'm assuming the 6 month.

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Timeline

we sent out teh i130 when I was visiting him for 5 months. I remember putting that I was a visitor and the date I arrived , I also put the date I was leaving not sure about the rest as i dont remember it.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

okay so if I put:

AunW1.jpg

how's that?

(assumed dates for my next trip on a mock up form)

oh would I put N/A for the last part, or just leave with the 6 month date. i'm assuming the 6 month.

That looks good. "N/A - Canadian" for the I-94 number is exactly right. I would put the 6-month date for the date your authorized stay will expire. That's how long Canadian visitors are admitted for, unless informed otherwise by CBP at the time of entry.

If you want to clarify your status even further, where it asks what status you arrived as, you could write "Canadian Visitor." Then they'll know exactly what's going on.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Beautiful :) Thanks so much guys

USCIS

Aug 4/11 - Touched

NVC

Final Steps

May 1/12 - Medical Date
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned

ROC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.