Dogwood_Poet

Problems calling the Philippines?

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had trouble connecting with the Philippines since the earthquake? Some nights I only get a message saying: "Your call cannot be completed as dialed." for several attempts then it will finally connect.

Some nights I never do get through.

I called the phone company and they said everything checks out OK, I wonder if the increased traffic with people trying to connect with friends/family in Japan is just overloading the system.

Anybody else having troubles as well?

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

I just got back from Japan/China/Philippines

No more problems than norman calling PI or China or Japan.........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone else had trouble connecting with the Philippines since the earthquake? Some nights I only get a message saying: "Your call cannot be completed as dialed." for several attempts then it will finally connect.

I called the phone company and they said everything checks out OK, I wonder if the increased traffic with people trying to connect with friends/family in Japan is just overloading the system.

I used to call a couple of years ago quite often. Many times I got a message like that. Or even a busy signal. My wife would say she was not on the phone when there was a busy signal after I tried again.

I thought it was system overload back then too but never checked into it. I just kept trying until it went through, and sometimes it took many attempts. Like five or six.

We rarely call now but she did call once after the earthquake to tell them to go onto chat, and it didn't happen.

Timeline

I have also been noticing a lot more frequent problems since the earthquake. Many times since then, the ring tone is different and I show up as a different number on her caller id. Many times when I call, nothing happens, or I get weird tones. Today I even got a weird message in some language I could not understand. That's the first time for that.

-James

James and Cynthia

08-22-2008 - Met my wonderful wife in the Philippines.
03-21-2010 - I proposed to her in the Philippines.
09-07-2010 - I-129F filed for K-1 Visa.
09-12-2010 - NOA1 confirmation email received.
11-02-2010 - I visitied the Philippines again.

02-07-2011 - NOA2 email recieved. Approved.
03-22-2011 - Case at USEM.

04-15-2011 - Interview Date. She passed.
05-01-2011 - POE

06-25-2011 - We were married.

-Life has been great ever since.

I often have to call 2-10 times in a row to get thru. But I am calling from Afghanistan, using VOIP to the US, which is then routed to USEM. So I am surprised when I get thru on the 1st or 2nd attempt.

When I was in Korea, I often could not get thru after several tries, I would just try again later. Same thing calling from the US to PI from Sep-Dec of last year. The phone systems in the PI are not as reliable as in the US. I think what you are experiencing is normal.

Timeline

AT&T did that to me alot when I was using them for long distance so it is not the quake. I went to Owtel international and they were ok. Rebtel is great for the Philippines.

09-16-2009 Sarah and I met online

01-20-2011 We met face-to-face for the 1st time at Cebu Mactan Airport

K-1 Process

02-14-2011 I-129F Sent

02-18-2011 I-129F NOA1 Received

02-22-2011 NOA1 hard copy received

07-19-2011 NOA2 Approved!

09-11-2011 St Luke's Med. Appt.- the dreaded 'sputum test' needed ;(

10-03-2011 'Sputum test' on the 3rd, 4th, & 5th

12-05-2011 Told sputum test was negative over the phone!

12-06-2011 Completed Sarah's medical

12-07-2011 Interview- Approved!

12-08-2011 Completed CFO seminar

12-17-2011 2go delivered the visa!

12-19-2011 CFO sticker received!

12-20-2011 Flight from Manila> Tokyo> Los Angeles> to Dallas,TX

12-30-2011 Married!

I use Tel3, only 12.9¢ to PI mobiles, 9.9¢ to land lines. *EDIT* This is an intro rate only. Regular rates jump to around 18¢ after first 30 days.

Rebtel is 15.9¢ to mobile, 10.9¢ to land line.

I just found Startec, 8.9¢ mobile, 9.9¢ to land line. *EDIT* 16.9¢ if calling SMART.

When shopping around, beware of monthly "maintenance fees" as well as per-call connection fees. They can really reduce the value. The three listed above have no add'l fees when calling.

Edited by DavenRoxy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I sent Vonage VOIP to the Philippines to call. I never have any problem getting through to them via VOIP. I never have to worry about per minute charges and can talk long hours.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

I sent Vonage VOIP to the Philippines to call. I never have any problem getting through to them via VOIP. I never have to worry about per minute charges and can talk long hours.

I thought about that. But Vonage is $30 a month, my Packet 8 Voip is $6 per month (because I am a long-time customer), while skype is $FREE.99 (plus does video calls). So I just use skype to talk to the family. We might do a VOIP solution when my asawa leaves the PI, but not sure yet.

Edited by DavenRoxy

Timeline

I use Vonage compared to others because some VOIP provider, they require a PC and install their software (ads) to use their VOIP. Vonage does not require PC. Other VOIP might be similar to Vonage.

Anyway, I also send to Philippines are as follows:

AT&T EP5632 5.8 GHz Digital BlueTooth Enabled Cordless Phone with Answering System

http://www.amazon.com/AT-Digital-BlueTooth-Cordless-Answering/dp/B000RPT2QQ/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1301232434&sr=8-21

and

Bluetooth Headset

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-H680-Luxury-Black-Gold/dp/tech-data/B001HB8JWW/ref=de_a_smtd

If you are talking for a long time on the phone, your hands will soon get tired and you will have stiff neck. However, with the Bluetooth and Bluetooth enable phone, your love ones can talk long hours and at the same time they do other things (cook, clean house, eat, wash clothes, etc). Believe me, they will appreciate it and will tell you why you did not think of it before? :)

Edited by Haarp425

Yeah, Packet 8 is a phone (base unit) that plugs into an internet jack (RJ-45), and it comes with a cordless handset, as well. I don't care for the PC-based VOIPs, might as well just use Skype or YM.

Blue tooth is a nice touch, as long as the batteries last.

One nice feature of Vonage is that you can select the phone YOU want, not tied to the Packet 8 phone, though their phones are high quality...

Timeline

Yeah, Packet 8 is a phone (base unit) that plugs into an internet jack (RJ-45), and it comes with a cordless handset, as well. I don't care for the PC-based VOIPs, might as well just use Skype or YM.

Blue tooth is a nice touch, as long as the batteries last.

One nice feature of Vonage is that you can select the phone YOU want, not tied to the Packet 8 phone, though their phones are high quality...

The H680/H681 I use last 8 hours.

Packet 8 is good then since it just plugs straight to the RJ-45.

Timeline

Are you calling PLDT (Philippine Long Distance Co.)?

I know PLDT/Smart encountered an earthquake-related problem with their international cable facility. They have an advisory for customers calling their repair hotline as of early last week. Not sure if they've fixed the problem already. I won't be surprised if the other telcos also had that same issue.

Grace

Edited by graceroxas

• 10 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I use Google voice with an OBI 110, its free. Plug the OBI into the router then plug your phone into the OBI, no computer needed after the router and OBI are communicating with each other. I have it setup so Google voice forwards to my cell phone also.. no OBI needed for that. You can also use the OBI by themselves to call other OBI users.... free also, and of course using a regular phone - no computer

http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.