iampatricias

Waiting for our passports from Montreal

Passport wait times  

299 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you wait for your passport after your Montreal interview?

• 1-3 business days
    • 4-7 business days
    • 8-10 business days
    • 11-14 business days
    • More than 14 business days - they were just very slow.
    • More than 14 business days - my circumstances were exceptional.
  2. 2. If your wait was longer than expected, what do you think caused the delay?

• The US Consulate in Montreal caused the delay.
    • DHL delivery caused the delay.
    • All of the above.
    • None of the above. Something else caused the delay.
    • None of the above. I was satisfied with the delivery time.

2,640 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been reading the news about the glitches and it would be appear to be an issue for anyone that has submitted an online application for a passport or Visa on or after June 9th. So then in theory then this wouldn't be an issue for those who started this process way back in July 2014, right? My interview is two weeks from today, once the interview is successfully done I will ask them about the glitch and possible delays.

To the best of my knowledge, if for example you had completed the interview and submitted all necessary documents before June 9th, the only hold up you will experience will be the physical printing of the visa and your passport return. The entire process, up to but not including, the visa issuing will continue as normal. Technically, everyone will experience some sort of delay if you did not have your visa mailed out before June 9th.

For example, I had my interview May 14th, was put into AP June 3rd but even if whatever issue that is holding up my visa is cleared, I will not get my visa until this issue is resolved.

The only people who were exceptionally affected by this were those in a small window who scheduled their interviews around June 4th or later (I believe?) who will have to reschedule appointments for whatever reason.

I would really recommend asking what you mentioned and if I could make a suggestion, scroll back up in this thread and check out the questions YVRDualCouple suggests asking about delayed visas.

ROC - July 2017 CSC Filer (I-751 July 2017 Filers Spreadsheet)

• 7/15/2017: I-751 Sent
  • 7/17/2017: I-751 Received
  • 7/18/2017: NOA1 Date
  • 7/20/2017: Cheque Cashed
  • 7/21/2017: NOA1 Received
  • 7/29/2017: Biometrics Received
  • 8/10/2017: Biometics Appointment Completed
  • 2/26/2018: Case Received at Local Office
  • 11/27/2018: I-751 Case Approved - New Card Being Produced
  • 12/04/2018: Card received via USPS. ROC process now complete!

July 2017 ROC Filers Posting Template:

Service Center: CSC/VSC
First 5 Digits from WAC/EAC Receipt #: E.g. WAC17290
NOA1 Date: E.g. July 15, 2017
Filed N-400?: Yes/No
Case Transferred?: Yes/No

If yes, provide to what service center? On what date?: Yes/No; Transferred to NSC (Nebraska Service Center) on August 18, 2018

Approved?: Yes/No

If yes, what was the date of your approval?: October 1, 2018

If yes, did you have a RFE (Request for Evidence)? On what date?: Yes/No; September 1, 2018

If yes, did you have an interview? On what date?: Yes/No; September 30, 2018

Any other information: E.g. Received my 18-month extension letter on XX; Issues cashing our check originally, etc.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I like to ask a question from all who are waiting for their visas more than what they were told to wait.

Did any of you received the "Welcome to the United Stated" letter _welcome letter_ after their interview at embassy from the officer?

If you don't mind please let me know. Thank you

Edited by Mshp

Timeline

I like to ask a question from all who are waiting for their visas more than what they were told to wait.

Did any of you received the "Welcome to the United Stated" letter _welcome letter_ after their interview at embassy from the officer?

I certainly did receive this letter and a statement from my interviewer my passport and visa would arrive in two weeks or less...it'll be 5 weeks this Thursday!

If yes, provide to what service center? On what date?: Yes/No; Transferred to NSC (Nebraska Service Center) on August 18, 2018

If yes, did you have a RFE (Request for Evidence)? On what date?: Yes/No; September 1, 2018

Any other information: E.g. Received my 18-month extension letter on XX; Issues cashing our check originally, etc.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I certainly did receive this letter and a statement from my interviewer my passport and visa would arrive in two weeks or less...it'll be 5 weeks this Thursday!

Exactly the same situation for me as well.

Timeline

If it makes you feel any better, one member on this thread YVRDualCouple has been waiting I believe 9 weeks at this point...gah. I'm going insane with my wait, I can only imagine double that. There needs to be better oversight on these issues. It is entirely not fair to leave people's lives in limbo for weeks or months on end without even so much as a simple explanation for what the hold up is.

Heck, I would even be happy with: "Yeah...we put your file down on a desk in the back and forgot about it". At least then I could know what the hold up was.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Timeline

We were handed the "Welcome to the United States of America" letter at the end of our interview. The officer was very friendly. Told us 7-10 days to Loomis. This Thursday will be NINE WEEKS since our sparkly-clean interview. And crickets.

Our congresswoman's office has been told our case is in administrative processing, and her team has requested more info on what's happening. I'm trying to get them to advise if it would muddy the situation and her effectiveness if I also begin sending emails to the consulate.

Strangely, our online status still shows ready, and the most recent "update" was May 15. Ouch. We are trying to not lose hope as our emotional and economic hardships are mounting.

To those of you about to go: ASK QUESTIONS!!!! Are the promising you a visa in 7-10 days or not? What could delay it? How long? Insist in details! Ask for a phone number!

Timeline

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to have any issues with your interview? Any documents you needed to send after the fact?

I only ask as there seems to be a small pattern developing here of people who had a flawless interview in Montreal yet for some reason are being held up for unknown reasons.

Timeline

Welp...just a quick update on my file: While I am still stuck in Administrative Processing purgatory, there appears to have been an update on my file today as it shows June 16th there was an "update". As to what that update was, I have no idea. This does give me a small glimmer of hope that things are progressing and whatever processing that needed to be done is now finished. Or perhaps they just saw it has now been a month and wanted to keep stringing me along? Who knows?

However, I am unsure if any of you have been following the federal database breach saga, but according to an update by the DOS, they do not expect the issue to be resolved before next week, thus, I do not believe anyone waiting for a visa will see "Issued" until Monday at the absolute earliest.

Edited by Trenz

Timeline

I am glad you are getting a bit positive input. My date has not changed and nothing new. I am not expecting anything until the issue is resolved but waiting is sooooo difficult.

I hear you loud and clear, my friend! No matter what the wait is, waiting is difficult in this situation given how much time we have already invested, let alone the monetary and emotional commitment we have made to the process.

It does not matter if it is one day or one year over the prescribed timeline we are given at the consulate, any time over what they claim is too long of a wait in my opinion. To some, this may sound selfish, but I argue that it is unfair to applicants to give them a false sense of hope. Couple that with essentially no contact or person to speak with involved in this process, it makes the unknown even harder.

I can only pray that this backlog becomes a blessing in disguise. How so? Perhaps with this time officials can now become better acquainted with people who have been waiting for weeks on end and tend to their application? Perhaps with piles of applications they will be able to finally prioritize those who are waaaaaay back at the start of the lineup to receive their visa first?

While that is wishful thinking, I can only try and remain positive during this depressing time.

Timeline

Yes staying positive is really helpful. I think the fact that your date was updated today can only be positive that may be they are looking at the backlog in the meantime. Once the problem is resolved, I hope some of us hear good news.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to have any issues with your interview? Any documents you needed to send after the fact?

I only ask as there seems to be a small pattern developing here of people who had a flawless interview in Montreal yet for some reason are being held up for unknown reasons.

Yeah my interview was flawless as well. I actually brought too many documents believe it or not. The only "unique" thing I can think my case has that may differ than others is that I am engaged to someone in active military service. I would think if anything that would help speed the process up! Not that I expect special treatment, I just know how Americans favour their military people.

Timeline

Yeah my interview was flawless as well. I actually brought too many documents believe it or not. The only "unique" thing I can think my case has that may differ than others is that I am engaged to someone in active military service. I would think if anything that would help speed the process up! Not that I expect special treatment, I just know how Americans favour their military people.

You raise a very good point with everything you said.

To be honest, I am starting to wonder if there really is a definitive reason as to why this happens. At first I thought my application included too many documents as yours did...but then I learned of others who brought even more than myself who received their visa in under a week. Then I thought perhaps it was due to all my names being super common and the consulate needing to do a more thorough background check...but then I learned of people with equally as common of names succeeding very quickly.

Perhaps, and I only say this as a 'perhaps', some files are selected for further scrutiny for no rhyme nor reason? Perhaps in some elaborate bid for quality control applications each day are selected at random to be scrutinized? That of course ignores a litany of reasons why this practice wouldn't be fruitful, but at this point I am beginning to wonder if that is the case?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.