quann

for people getting pink slips...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

how soon did your SO come over? were you able to get them on the same flight as you? how did you buy your ticket? if they had to travel separately, did you fear they would get lost?

probably just dumb questions late at night as i ponder... :dance:

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

First things first.. get the visa first, then worry about the flight... Too often people buy a ticket expecting the visa will be in hand on a specific date and delays happen... My wife flew alone no worries because her english is very good.. others have used IOM when there were issues in speaking english... from the date the pink is issued the visa could be in hand as asson as 1 week or it could take a long time given the consulates actions after the pink is issued... dont try to rush things as it could cost you a great deal of $ and frustration...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

how soon did your SO come over? were you able to get them on the same flight as you? how did you buy your ticket? if they had to travel separately, did you fear they would get lost?

I did exactly what Scott advised not to do. I took a chance and booked the tickets for the day after she was told the visa would be ready. I took a risk because her visa was supposed to be ready on December 22nd, and I wanted to get back by Christmas. If I had waited until she had the visa in hand then we wouldn't have been able to fly out until at least a week later. I was willing to risk the cost of the tickets for the chance that we'd fly out on time, rather than save the money for the virtual guarantee that we'd fly back later. It's a gamble, so if you can't afford to lose then don't roll those dice.

My own ticket had an open return date, so I could reschedule it, if needed, without any problems.

I booked the tickets and paid online with a credit card while simultaneously talking with the booking agent at the airline's office in Vietnam. I wanted to make sure I could book my wife and step-kids tickets while also reserving my own return flight. If you book online then you have to present the credit card when you arrive at the airport to check in, so you can only do this if the credit card holder will be present at check in. Don't book online if you're going to be in the US when she checks in.

I wouldn't have worried about her getting lost if she would have needed to travel alone. Even if she spoke no English at all, there are plenty of Viet Kieu on those flights who will help them transit to change flights, and help them get to the immigration counters when they arrive in the US. Mostly, you just follow the crowds.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My fiancee is supposed to pick up her visa this Friday, and I just already got her ticket booked! I guess I just have faith like I did during this whole process. I'm coming back to get married to her then she will be coming back to the states with me.

Timeline

My soon to be wife will be coming over next month April. She will be going with my parents vacationing in VN now. Her ticket was about $900 one way. If she were to go alone, it would have been around $700. These prices were booked 2 months ago. It has significantly gone up now. She is born year of the lion, flying alone is a piece of cake.

Timeline

My soon to be wife will be coming over next month April. She will be going with my parents vacationing in VN now. Her ticket was about $900 one way. If she were to go alone, it would have been around $700. These prices were booked 2 months ago. It has significantly gone up now. She is born year of the lion, flying alone is a piece of cake.

tiger you mean? :) my fiancee is also a tiger ('86) anyways yes i plan on flying back when she goes in the for the interview. i'll leave my tix open for the return date and hopefully we can fly back here together. reading this thread seems like you can buy a ticket pretty fast.

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiancee is supposed to pick up her visa this Friday, and I just already got her ticket booked! I guess I just have faith like I did during this whole process. I'm coming back to get married to her then she will be coming back to the states with me.

You are getting married before she enters the US on a K1? :blink:

I did exactly what Scott advised not to do. I took a chance and booked the tickets for the day after she was told the visa would be ready. I took a risk because her visa was supposed to be ready on December 22nd, and I wanted to get back by Christmas. If I had waited until she had the visa in hand then we wouldn't have been able to fly out until at least a week later. I was willing to risk the cost of the tickets for the chance that we'd fly out on time, rather than save the money for the virtual guarantee that we'd fly back later. It's a gamble, so if you can't afford to lose then don't roll those dice.

My own ticket had an open return date, so I could reschedule it, if needed, without any problems.

I booked the tickets and paid online with a credit card while simultaneously talking with the booking agent at the airline's office in Vietnam. I wanted to make sure I could book my wife and step-kids tickets while also reserving my own return flight. If you book online then you have to present the credit card when you arrive at the airport to check in, so you can only do this if the credit card holder will be present at check in. Don't book online if you're going to be in the US when she checks in.

I wouldn't have worried about her getting lost if she would have needed to travel alone. Even if she spoke no English at all, there are plenty of Viet Kieu on those flights who will help them transit to change flights, and help them get to the immigration counters when they arrive in the US. Mostly, you just follow the crowds.

I did the same as did Brnie and we both ended up with change fees because of the delays.. I didnt mind the fee but for some they may not be able to afford it.....

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you marry her in Vietnam they will cancel your visa, on a K1 you must remain single until you are in the US. IF you are just doing the ceremony for her family without signing any documents then you are fine. Just make sure you dont sign anything!

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You are getting married before she enters the US on a K1? :blink:

I did the same as did Brnie and we both ended up with change fees because of the delays.. I didnt mind the fee but for some they may not be able to afford it.....

If you marry her in Vietnam they will cancel your visa, on a K1 you must remain single until you are in the US. IF you are just doing the ceremony for her family without signing any documents then you are fine. Just make sure you dont sign anything!

We're well aware of the circumstances. There is no legality involved in this wedding, no paper work whatsoever, we will have another one once we get in the states. We are very family-oriented and since most of her family are in VN, we must have something so that they can attend and celebrate with us.

Edited by VinceN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.