giraffemd

2523.5 klicks later

15 posts in this topic

Hi all

here is a quick update on bringing my stuff accross the border. I had my car packed to the rafters, entered through Manitobawith British Columbia liscence plates The border guard took our passports (just my stamp was there...still no greencard...but I didn't need anything the stamp was good) :) So he asked where we were going, where we work, do we own all the stuff etc. He waved us through..which we were shocked as we had so much stuff (I had a list...he did not want it) Did not ask for proof of ownership, letter of compliance, DL...nothing :blink: We had to go in and request the form you need to enable you to get tabs for your car here in MN. and again the office guard did not ask for the compliance letter, or anything...just stamped that paper, signed her name and told us to have a nice day.....it was weird...we expected it would be so much harder...now I am finally re-located totally, now just want to know where the h*** is my green card :lol: We drove all the way from northern BC to MN and visited family in between...all in a week....but it was a fun road trip...even Saskatchewan was fun....my hubby had never been there, so I felt like the tour guide :lol: anyway that was my experience hope it helps someone.

actually it was 3523.5 klicks :lol:

AOS, EAD, AP, filed on Feb 8, 2006

NOA received Feb 18, 2006

Biometrics done on Apr 21, at St. Paul office..wait some more......

Touched on April 24 and 28

email aproval for AP on May 1

email approval for EAD on May 3

received AP on May 3

received EAD in mail on May 8

start work of June 1

AOS interview in Bloomington on July 19 8am

AOS approved,passport stamped on July 19

as of Dec 10, 2006 still no greencard....waiting and waiting....USCIS says we are approved, and check back in 60 days...no idea what is happening

Dec 18, email stating welcome letter is in the mail

Dec 20, 5 emails saying they ordered production of my new card......

Dec 24...welcome to America letter in the snail mail

Dec 26...GC in hand and all is correct...

NOTE TO SELF..file to lift conditions 04/19/08

04/22/08 filed to lift conditions

05/01/08 package returned wrong form

05/05/08 re-submitted right form to california

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

05/19/08 appointment letter for biometrics received..appointment on 05/28/08 at 11 am at USCIS St. Paul

05/28/08 took my two appointment letters and had my fingerprints done

11/13/08 touched and email stating card production ordered and will be sent to me in 30 days

11/21/08 GC in hand no mistakes expires 11/13/18

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats. Didnt know K1'ers received a green card, figured they would get that after aos ( I was cr-1)

Be nice about sask, as I grew up there, lol. But yes it can be a boring drive down South. i grew up in North Central Sk. Hopefully the farmers are having a good yr.

I to found the border agents relaxed in Mb. when I crossed a few yrs back. i was going from Wiinipeg to Greenwood NS, with a stop over in DC --to see my then gf, now wife-- My car was packed, and they didnt care either. Congrats again

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Congrats. Didnt know K1'ers received a green card, figured they would get that after aos ( I was cr-1)

Be nice about sask, as I grew up there, lol. But yes it can be a boring drive down South. i grew up in North Central Sk. Hopefully the farmers are having a good yr.

I to found the border agents relaxed in Mb. when I crossed a few yrs back. i was going from Wiinipeg to Greenwood NS, with a stop over in DC --to see my then gf, now wife-- My car was packed, and they didnt care either. Congrats again

Well I love Sask .....I am a born and bred Prince Albertan...even took the hubby to diefenbakers house :lol: It was a nice trip...I love my Sask roots...even got a *Corner Gas* t-shirt...but about the green card...we had our appointment for AOS on July 19 and got the stamp of approval in the passport...they said the green card would be here in 2 weeks...still waiting...but I guess if I got in and out with the stamp and no greencard I am not going to panic...will check into it if it doesn't come in the next few months....

BTW the crops are great and they have had a great summer..everything was beautiful and green....and my hubby even cruised in and asked for a double double and was amazed when they knew what he was talking about :lol: went to Timmies 3 times a day for the whole time we were there...and now I am in withdrawls :crying:

received AP on May 3

start work of June 1

as of Dec 10, 2006 still no greencard....waiting and waiting....USCIS says we are approved, and check back in 60 days...no idea what is happening

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

05/19/08 appointment letter for biometrics received..appointment on 05/28/08 at 11 am at USCIS St. Paul

11/13/08 touched and email stating card production ordered and will be sent to me in 30 days

Timeline

I was born and raised in PA as well!! crazy!! We lived on Grey owl Cres--backed on to Prime Ministers park. Parenst left there in 2002 and now live in S'toon. Graduated Carlton in 1991. Good old PA. Was back there for a few hrs in July. City has started to look a bit run down and I assume it will get worse since the pulp mil has closed. Cheers, Scott

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I remember once a group of us took a bus from BC to Regina, Sask for a conference.... As we were driving through Sask., we would get excited when we saw a curve in the road :lol:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I drove through the prarie provinces once and can't remember much except the giant blue sky. But I have to say that my most loyal friend is from Manitoba. I met him in Toronto years ago and we've always kept in touch. He's a big hockey fan and I hope to get him to a real Devils game in New Jersey someday.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Timeline

Good to read of positive border crossings

we too had a breeze thru peace bridge last thursday morn at fort Erie NY

no probs at all we have a 12ft u haul towed behind our 4 runner

which has s dakota plates and of course we have FL d licenses.

so happy not to go south via hwy 75 from ontario

realised on aug 12 th that from cinncy to detroit is not very scenic etc etc

and hauling a trailer is not reccomende thru there.

we headed south via 90/79/19/77

jules loves the scenery from NY to WV to Virginia and into NC

we are right now in Charlotte ,resting up ,we are both really sick after our

europe cruise was 100 plus in athens on aug 22

interested in moving to NC in the future ,so we are looking at homes today.

luckily we also avoided staying with mates in NJ

so missed ernesto , we have had good weather too.

hopefully my ssn will be in naples upon arrival

yeah right ???????

if not straight down the ss office

reckon we will make naples tuesday afternoon

tomorrow will be long drive day from NC to florida

happy labour day

red :devil:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sask is ok, I like flat so it is good. I wanted to get a corner gas shirt before I left and forgot!

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Sask is ok, I like flat so it is good. I wanted to get a corner gas shirt before I left and forgot!

My corner gas shirt says *Property of some small town in Canada* with the little corner gas logo on the back....love that show...but I think you have to be from Sask to get it.......

I was born and raised in PA as well!! crazy!! We lived on Grey owl Cres--backed on to Prime Ministers park. Parenst left there in 2002 and now live in S'toon. Graduated Carlton in 1991. Good old PA. Was back there for a few hrs in July. City has started to look a bit run down and I assume it will get worse since the pulp mil has closed. Cheers, Scott

well a small world or what....I went to school at PACI...then U of S in Saskatoon...we walked down the viaduct to central ave, and I felt like I was in a time warp.....when I tell people I really miss Sask they look at me like I must be on drugs :lol: but it still feels like home, and I have not lived there for 30 years.....but Minnesota feels much like the prairies, so I feel at home here too. :yes: but every day I have to listen to CBC online......then I feel better :yes:

received AP on May 3

start work of June 1

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

Timeline

I went to PACI as well. At that time was only grades 8-9. Believe they now have 7-9 there. You probably wouldn't want to go back to PA now, as I stated earlier, pretty run down, i was rather suprised and dissapointed. Central hasn't changed much though. I woul dnever live in PA again, but have no qualms with Saskatoon

I went to PACI as well. At that time was only grades 8-9. Believe they now have 7-9 there. You probably wouldn't want to go back to PA now, as I stated earlier, pretty run down, i was rather suprised and dissapointed. Central hasn't changed much though. I woul dnever live in PA again, but have no qualms with Saskatoon

agree I love visiting, but never would I live there...I loved saskatoon....loved the university there...were you born in PA?....I went to PACI when it was 9-12...graduated there.....still looks exactly the same, except we could park in the front parking lot...not so now...just for teachers I guess....used to hang out at Pat's Place on central...but now that is no more...can't believe I am having a conversation about good old PA on VJ :lol:

received AP on May 3

start work of June 1

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

Timeline

Born in PA back in 73!! Lived there for the majority of my first 18 yrs--except for a few yrs in La Ronge. PACI does pretty much look the same, except for the big communication tower on the side. Enjoyed my 2 yrs at PACI. Only have 1 uncle left there now, so my days of visiting PA are limited.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.