duck soup

Anyone gone through the K1 process more than once?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi everyone.

ok so let me give you a little bit of backstory. I'm a US citizen, went through the K1 visa process once without any complications and married my wife from another country in 2005. We were married and both lived together happily for over 5 years, but sadly decided to get divorced. The divorce was not messy. No kids, alimony, or fighting. She has a 10 year green card but never attempted to become a citizen.

My question is, how hard would it be for me to go through the K1 process again with someone new given my past? Will they suspect me of fraud cause ive had one divorce? What about the affidavit of support? Would it just be easier to do a K3?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had a prior in 2004. Got the I-129f approved, but she never made it to the embassy.

Can't tell you if it won't cause me a problem since that page on my script has not been written yet. But I can tell you what I did:

First, I disclosed it to my SO up front, when we first met. Second, I withdrew it formally and got a letter to that effect. Third, I fully disclosed it in my current I-129f.

I don't think you will have a problem. Just prepare your SO to not look surprised when the interviewer tells her about it.

oh no, id never try to hide it from anyone. Theres no point in doing that. Just curious if it would make the approval process harder for me a second time.

Also im still wondering about the affidavit of support. Theyre supposed to last for 10 years. My ex has never gotten welfare or anything like that from the government (me either) so shes definitely not a burden. She doesnt need help from me either. I know if i started a new relationship eventually id need that affidavit of support approved. Is it possible for that to happen if i still have that affidavit of support in effect for my ex?

Edited by duck soup

ok, i went to justanswer.com and got an answer from a immigration lawyer. Thought i'd share the info with you guys just in case anyone else is wondering what it is.

The news is good. Over 5 years is a substantial amount of time for a marriage so immigration will not suspect any type of fraud. I should be able to petition a new fiancee on K1 or K3 with no problem. As for the affidavit of support, i can file a 2nd one for a new fiancee if i choose, the amount i make will just have to be more than twice the poverty line.

ok, i went to justanswer.com and got an answer from a immigration lawyer. Thought i'd share the info with you guys just in case anyone else is wondering what it is.

The news is good. Over 5 years is a substantial amount of time for a marriage so immigration will not suspect any type of fraud. I should be able to petition a new fiancee on K1 or K3 with no problem. As for the affidavit of support, i can file a 2nd one for a new fiancee if i choose, the amount i make will just have to be more than twice the poverty line.

wont be any problem cuz your ex wife become permanent resident or citizen

if she were ilegal for some reason,yes it could be denied like happen to me jejeje

dont worry aply for the k1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.