Mikhail

impending interview......... passport questions

5 posts in this topic

Ok so I have heard thru the whole process that getting a NEW passport for your wife after getting married is OPTIONAL it isnt necesssary but it is a good idea because it makes the marriage look more bonafide etc. so i can see them letting a woman thru if she never changed her name and has the same name as her passport because its all consistent, but my situation is different..if youve read any of my other posts you have probably seen that my wife still has her old passport, then we got married and after getting married from the I-130 on everything was signed as her new name, my last name with her maiden name as her middle name, just like all pinays. She even had her postal id or whatever the hell it is changed to her married name, i can never remember what exactly it is but I think you get the jist of it. SINCE we got married in Hong Kong it has been a long arduos month after month long process in getting our marriage reported to the philippines which in turn has delayed us from getting a new passport, now with an interview date on APRIL 4th we are rapidly running out of time. So my question is COULD WE not have the passport changed once the marriage is finally reported and have her travel her on her old passport, EVEN THOUGH all her paperwork/case etc. signatures have her last name as my name? WOULD THAT POSE A PROBLEM IN THE INTERVIEW? If you read my last post i also asked if it would be allowed to attend the interview with the conflicting names ie. (my last name on signatures and case with her old name on passport) and just have her explain that she is waiting for her new pasport in the mail and she wont leave the country until receiving it, would that work? anybody that is or has been in this situation before would be helpful because I feel like these are my only 2 options unless the interview was delayed or the marriage was reported tom and we were able to receive the passport just in time.......thanks for any replies

As long as her passport is still valid for more than 6 months at the time of the interview, then that's okay. I do not think it is required to change it. She can simply say that she will wait till it is expiring and change it to her married name then. I don't plan on changing my passport until 2015 when it needs to be renewed.

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

As long as her passport is still valid for more than 6 months at the time of the interview, then that's okay. I do not think it is required to change it. She can simply say that she will wait till it is expiring and change it to her married name then. I don't plan on changing my passport until 2015 when it needs to be renewed.

so you dont think they will care that all her signatures are different then whats on her actual passport

I wouldn't think so.. I plan to do AOS and do my AOS interview with my current passport, which will not have my married name, and I have never heard of it being an issue? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if her passport is still valid then there would be no need to change it yet. Although its true that it would look better if you could change it, I honestly don't see it as a big deal :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.