Ugly_American

NVC Misspelled fiancee's name in their system...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been calling and emailing the NVC every few days. I'd already been issued a new case number, however I've been trying to keep on top of when they mail it out.

The first and only email I received (this morning) had a misspelling of her first name. I know for sure it was an input error on their part. So I phoned them to have them make the correction. The agent said I needed to email them a copy of her passport. I complained that all my forms were proper, with out the mistake and that they simply needed to re-examine my application to discover their error, but she said the procedure requires me to submit her passport. Of course now we're going to scramble to get it to them asap, however I do fear that if they have her improperly listed in the system, and pass it along that way to the foreign embassy, that it may bounce back to the US and get delayed or lost.

It's already such a frustrating process, but when they make a mistake it's unfair that they require us to supply documents they never initially required.

Has anyone else ever had them make a spelling error, and what were the consequences? It's extremely lucky that I sent them an email otherwise I never would have discovered the mistake.

Edited by Ugly_American

We had a similar issue of my wife's birthdate being off by 3 days in the NVC system. And since I didn't know the birthdate they had they were unable to open the file and tell me anything. We had to send them a copy of every page of her passport. Then, guess what, they STILL had it wrong. The embassy ended up correcting it for us in Dublin. Be prepared to be frustrated beyond belief with the NVC. Oh, and the time it took to photo copy her passport in Ireland, send it back to the US and for them to receive it and look at it cost us a MONTH extra. Welcome to the US immigration process!

I think you don't have to bother correcting it with NVC??? correct me if im wrong.. what matters is that you correct it with the US Embassy in Mnl.. we actually never even received any mail from NVC..

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i emailed the nvc the scan of her main profile page of her passport. Perhaps it doesn't matter. i just fear bureaucratic nightmares.

My wifes name was wrong on her online iv,spelled with her maiden name even though the i130 was spelled correct. After a telephone call and a email sent along with mailing a hard copy of her passport biographic name change w cover letter, they added my last name but kept her middle name the same, not matching her new passport. It took another phone call 2weeks latter for them to change it to the right name after talking to a operator who told me they were now waiting on my ds-230 which they had singed for 2 weeks previous. Long story short the name was changed online to match her new passport a few days ago, still waiting to get out of nvc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.