mawilson

Preparing for the next collapse

335 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is dumpster diving illegal? And if so, why?

I actually read something about dumpster diving in NYC last night. Appparently since most businesses leave their trash out on the sidewalk it's not against the law to go through the trash. There are just courtesy rules among dumpster divers. Stuff like tie bags back up and don't spread trash all over the sidewalk. I don't remember where I read this. There's actually a whole community of people who do this because businesses throw away really expensive food. Let me see if I can find it again cos it was kinda interesting.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Is dumpster diving illegal? And if so, why?

Yes. He said if he sees the police stroll by he runs his as$ off but got caught the other day.

Not sure what the ticket is called: loitering or something else. But he said it is a $500 fine...

Danno has a good point that all the guy is doing is recycling and making more space to dump real trash in land fills.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Timeline

Recycling is mandatory in California. When you go to the dump, you go through the recycling stations first before they weigh your load and you pay your fees. Well, at least the larger ones. For the smaller dumps, if you convince them you have nothing but recyclables, you pay nothing.

They were fining and arresting folks for taking stuff out of the recycle bins, to turn them in for cash.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Is dumpster diving illegal?

Yes or no depending on your local rules. Even if it's not illegal almost every dumpster out there has a sticker on it that says something like, "Do not play in, on or around dumpster." to keep the kids away and then something to the effect of "entering dumpster and/or removing contents prohibited" for the adults. Depending on where you are it could be anything from trespassing or loitering to theft.

You'll be hard pressed to find cops that want to bust someone that's been in a dumpster, but writing a ticket is easy and it's assumed they'll be cleaned up when they show up to court!

And if so, why?

Safety and liability concerns.

Dumpsters don't have steps on the side or handrails to help you get in and out. They have hard, jagged edges and often contain dangerous materials inside. If someone were to get hurt "using" the dumpster, is that person liable? Is the company that owns the dumpster liable? Is the place renting the dumpster liable? Would tax dollars have to be used to treat the injury?

That lawyer-BS aside, dumpsters have irregular pick-up times and it's not unheard of for hobos and bums to be crushed after a nice nap in a dumpster.

dumpster diving in NYC last night. Appparently since most businesses leave their trash out on the sidewalk it's not against the law to go through the trash.

Trash sitting out on the street is public property in most places. The contents of a dumpster are not since the dumpster is "active" at all times and considered a physical barrier to prevent people from gaining access to the refuse inside.

Recycling is mandatory in California.

They were fining and arresting folks for taking stuff out of the recycle bins, to turn them in for cash.

Sounds a lot like telling folks how much water they can have in their toilets. Yes, that's government's job alright.

Things like this make me tip my glass to Ronnie Barrett.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"