FormerlyKnownAs

Egypt Travel Warning

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've been reading that other countries are lifting their travel restrictions to Egypt. I am hopeful that our State Department will follow suit and soon! I have heard that everything is back to normal there with the exception of the midnight to 6am curfew and the stock market closure. The stock market should reopen next week.

I had to postpone my trip again since things were still a little heated on my travel date, so my new date of travel is the 10th of March. I am very excited because Air France has FINALLY stopped rerouting Cairo-bound flights (from Paris) through Beirut. This means my layover in Paris will now be 2 hours as opposed to 15 hours... Thank goodness for small blessings.

My real hope is for the embassy to get back to normal operations so that those of you waiting for interviews and visas can start seeing some progress again! Also it'll be better for my conscience if my trip could be somewhat sanctioned by our State Department rather than:

"The U.S. Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens to defer non-essential travel to Egypt."

Keeping my fingers crossed!! Also would love to hear from those who are there or who have trips planned. Getting very very excited again about going. The feeling of apprehension is fading... Wish I could speed up the clock. Two more weeks!

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

I've been reading that other countries are lifting their travel restrictions to Egypt. I am hopeful that our State Department will follow suit and soon! I have heard that everything is back to normal there with the exception of the midnight to 6am curfew and the stock market closure. The stock market should reopen next week.

I had to postpone my trip again since things were still a little heated on my travel date, so my new date of travel is the 10th of March. I am very excited because Air France has FINALLY stopped rerouting Cairo-bound flights (from Paris) through Beirut. This means my layover in Paris will now be 2 hours as opposed to 15 hours... Thank goodness for small blessings.

My real hope is for the embassy to get back to normal operations so that those of you waiting for interviews and visas can start seeing some progress again! Also it'll be better for my conscience if my trip could be somewhat sanctioned by our State Department rather than:

"The U.S. Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens to defer non-essential travel to Egypt."

Keeping my fingers crossed!! Also would love to hear from those who are there or who have trips planned. Getting very very excited again about going. The feeling of apprehension is fading... Wish I could speed up the clock. Two more weeks!

Hi long road home. i am resident in egypt with my husband and things do appear to be getting back to normal as i have been to both tahrir square and to alexandria lately. I had an appt for me and my husband scheduled mar 8, but because of protests and closing we lost our slot. I am kinda patiently waiting for them(embassy) to reopen so i can get another appt hoping it is sooner rather then later. The only thing that i think is keeping it from opening is they are wanting civilian security forces here to be "fully restored". who knows when that will be.

I think the usa always aids on the side of caution when it comes to their public bulletins and i am praying soon i can be finished with the waiting and can return home.

Enjoy your trip

Thats good news. Inshallah, soon it will reopen.

also, btw. i talked to a staff at embassy and was told(dont know how pertinent this info is) that when they do open at first it will be limited to only spousal visa's so good news to married couples but not good news for those seeking other types of visa's. As i said before though, i don't know if his information is accurate or not :blush:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

also, btw. i talked to a staff at embassy and was told(dont know how pertinent this info is) that when they do open at first it will be limited to only spousal visa's so good news to married couples but not good news for those seeking other types of visa's. As i said before though, i don't know if his information is accurate or not :blush:

Wow, even better news. Thanks for the update, lets hope he/she is correct. I just got recently approved for the I-130 & I129F, so we havent even got our NVC number yet. I've been told that the I129F will be closed by NVC. I really hoping for that and to have a fast process so by the time the embassy opens we wil be ready as well and our file send there.

I do wonder if even if its not open, files completed at NVC will be shipped to Cairo and just wait till to process them till they are full staffed or will NVC hold them till they reopen completely.

Wow, even better news. Thanks for the update, lets hope he/she is correct. I just got recently approved for the I-130 & I129F, so we havent even got our NVC number yet. I've been told that the I129F will be closed by NVC. I really hoping for that and to have a fast process so by the time the embassy opens we wil be ready as well and our file send there.

I do wonder if even if its not open, files completed at NVC will be shipped to Cairo and just wait till to process them till they are full staffed or will NVC hold them till they reopen completely.

from what i gathered from talking with the guy at the embassy. they have no staff only emergency personnel so now i think its a waiting game for us all. I hope you a speedy resolution :)

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just got email from Air France that my flight on the 11th of March from Paris to Cairo has been canceled... !! (interesting to me that they would cancel this far out when they have flights going today and yesterday that seem to be fine!) They booked me on the flight from Paris to Cairo on the 12th, however I do not intend to spend 26 hours in the Paris airport. I'll have to figure out whether I want to reschedule a day earlier or a day later, both of which pose problems. So back to the drawing board I go.

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just got email from Air France that my flight on the 11th of March from Paris to Cairo has been canceled... !! (interesting to me that they would cancel this far out when they have flights going today and yesterday that seem to be fine!) They booked me on the flight from Paris to Cairo on the 12th, however I do not intend to spend 26 hours in the Paris airport. I'll have to figure out whether I want to reschedule a day earlier or a day later, both of which pose problems. So back to the drawing board I go.

That really sucks. Good luck!

Maybe u wouldnt mind it on the way back. You could have a nice day in Paris.

I always want to make my flight to Cairo the fastest to see my hubby and on the way back well I dont mind it. I have tended to make short city visits in different places before.

Filed: Timeline

I am leaving on Feb 28 to go to Egypt. I am taking Lufthansia and having been watching the arrivals coming through Cairo International Airport. in the last week I have not seen any Air France flights come in. The only ones coming in from Paris is Egypt Air. But the Lufthansia are keeping all flights going to Egypt. And it was not really expensive. And another lady left the end of last week for Egypt and had no issue's. You might want to think of a different airline to go through. Delta is not going to Egypt either but offering tickets for over $2,000, go figure.

sorry to hear about your cancellation, perhaps another flight may be cheaper and less comfortable but atleast you can be with your husband.

another thing i heard in the news here was from a reporter from aljazeera who is claiming that there is no one manning the libyan, egypt border which is scary but i have no ideal how that will effect the embasssy decision to reopen or flights but i am living here so it is to me, scarrrrrrrry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.