cananner

CEGEP/Canadian community college degrees

7 posts in this topic

I am a Canadian who will most likely end up in the States. Right now my highest degree is a DEC (basically a community college degree, for anyone outside Quebec) in Liberal Arts. I am considering getting another college degree, possibly in another province. From what I understand, they are roughly the same as an associate's degree from a US community college.

Does anyone know if/how the US recognizes these types of degrees?

Job-wise, would an employer be likely to choose someone with an associate's over my what-is-this-thing-you-call-cegep degree?

And schoolwise, would my having a Canadian community college degree decrease the number of years needed to complete a bachelor's at an American university?

03/15/2011 - NOA1

05/31/2011 - NOA2

06/??/2011 - NVC received

06/14/2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal

06/20/2011 - Packet 3 sent from Mtl

06/27/2011 - Sent Packet 3 back

07/07/2011 - RFE for Packet 3 sent from Mtl

07/18/2011 - RFE sent to embassy

07/21/2011 - RFE logged

07/25/2011 - Packet 4 sent, interview date made

10/31/2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

11/11/2011 - Visa ready for pickup

12/21/2011 - POE

02/24/2012 - Married!

05/14/2012 - AOS, EAD, AP forms sent

05/21/2012 - NOA1

08/13/2012 - AOS interview...APPROVED!

07/21/2014 - I-751 filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to have all your school stuff checked by a company that translates all the credits and classes to american stuff. Then you can see what your schooling actually converts as.

Associates degree... probably is not going to help much. I have one and it took me over a year to find a job, couldn't even get fast food jobs or retail jobs with it.

I finally found something in my field of work which is the only way my degree worked for me.

Most places look for Bachelors but even then people with bachelors are making tacos at taco bell. IF they can even get one of thos jobs.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

A 3 year DEC would usually translate as a 96 credit Associate's degree.(quite better than most community college degree). I dunno exactly how much for 2 years DEC... Now, how it would be used toward your Bachelor's degree depends on which University or college you are planning to attend. I would strongly recommand that you call the school and ask how many credits exactly they intend to transfer,(they will ask for a transcript and probably order it from your CEGEP but a FAX copy of your final grade report should do too...) and consider the info when choosing a school to attend. Make sure you have a writen proof of what they told you before you enroll, as they tend to make people believe that there won't be any problem (BS) and school here is MUCH MUCH more expensive than in Canada(been there done that), espacially for international student.

Hope it helps

P.S. Actually if you ever list your DEC on a resume for a job in the US, you should probably list it as an Associate's Degree.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

At the tech college in my state a 2 year program is $35,000

In Canada it was close to around $5,000-10,000 for what I took.

( just for a general example, and that program for 35k is the cheaper one they have, most are well over 35k.)

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm actually going through this right now to get my Virginia Teaching License. I have to get ALL my reports cards, my license, my diplomas (from CEGEP and univeristy) translated. Not fun and quite expensive.

And then, I have to go through a company that will check my credentials and transfer what can be transfered. Again, not fun and quite expensive.

If you have the time right now, get your stuff translated if it's not in English, and you can also contact a company that does this credentials transfer thing for your line of work BEFORE you move.

I wish I had!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

You need to have all your school stuff checked by a company that translates all the credits and classes to american stuff. Then you can see what your schooling actually converts as.

Associates degree... probably is not going to help much. I have one and it took me over a year to find a job, couldn't even get fast food jobs or retail jobs with it.

I finally found something in my field of work which is the only way my degree worked for me.

Most places look for Bachelors but even then people with bachelors are making tacos at taco bell. IF they can even get one of thos jobs.

yeah, times are hard right now. good to hear you got a job! and thanks for the info!

A 3 year DEC would usually translate as a 96 credit Associate's degree.(quite better than most community college degree). I dunno exactly how much for 2 years DEC... Now, how it would be used toward your Bachelor's degree depends on which University or college you are planning to attend. I would strongly recommand that you call the school and ask how many credits exactly they intend to transfer,(they will ask for a transcript and probably order it from your CEGEP but a FAX copy of your final grade report should do too...) and consider the info when choosing a school to attend. Make sure you have a writen proof of what they told you before you enroll, as they tend to make people believe that there won't be any problem (BS) and school here is MUCH MUCH more expensive than in Canada(been there done that), espacially for international student.

Hope it helps

P.S. Actually if you ever list your DEC on a resume for a job in the US, you should probably list it as an Associate's Degree.

thanks so much!

03/15/2011 - NOA1

05/31/2011 - NOA2

07/21/2011 - RFE logged

12/21/2011 - POE

02/24/2012 - Married!

05/21/2012 - NOA1

07/21/2014 - I-751 filed

I'm actually going through this right now to get my Virginia Teaching License. I have to get ALL my reports cards, my license, my diplomas (from CEGEP and univeristy) translated. Not fun and quite expensive.

And then, I have to go through a company that will check my credentials and transfer what can be transfered. Again, not fun and quite expensive.

If you have the time right now, get your stuff translated if it's not in English, and you can also contact a company that does this credentials transfer thing for your line of work BEFORE you move.

I wish I had!

sounds like a good idea to get it done early. thanks for telling me! sucks that everything has to cost so much. c'est la vie, i guess...

03/15/2011 - NOA1

05/31/2011 - NOA2

07/21/2011 - RFE logged

12/21/2011 - POE

02/24/2012 - Married!

05/21/2012 - NOA1

07/21/2014 - I-751 filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.