RPS

Moving Countries

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all and thanks in advance for your advice on this topic.

Hubby and I are living happily together in Italy after a LONG (and unfinished visa journey) Check out my history if you're interested. Long story short, due to a confusion in his nationality the process was delayed and we were actually in love, so I temporarily moved to Italy to finish up the process. On the date of his interview (or probably the night before) his passport was stolen. All of Italy goes on vacation during the summer so getting a replacement took a couple of months. By the end of all this our lives were such a mess not being able to plan for anything, career, etc. so I just moved there to be together. Now we're both moving to New Zealand for my doctorate studies, so here are the questions:

1. Can we put the visa app on hold and if so for how long?

2. Can we transfer the application from the Naples Consulate to Wellington Consulate?

3. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to keep it active so we don't loose our investment and the chance of actually being able to live in the US again?

As we have both worked for agencies the US gov't is a part of, I thought about that too, but our contracts were less than 3 months. Too bad the US doesn't have a "you've been happily married, living abroad for xx years so you can apply for citizenship' policy like every other sane country!!!

1998-2001 - Undergrad together - Marine Bio - Florida Tech

2009 - Scotland; Hawaii; Missouri; Mauritius & Rome (a good year)!

11/20/09 - Married in Mauritius

11/23/09 - Sent I-130

12/4/09 - NOA1

2/25/10 - NOA2

NVC

3/5/10 - NVC Case # Assigned

3/12/10 - AOS and IV BILLS paid

3/13/10 - Mailed AOS

3/17/10 - I-864 delivered NVC

3/23/10 - I-864 accepted

4/1/10 - DS-230 delivered 11:03 AM

4/6/10 - AVR updated DS-230 checklist received

4/14/10 - RFE on DS230 (lots of them)!

5/19/10 - RFE packet sign for at NVC

6/6/10 - SIF

7/2/10 - Interview scheduled, but then canceled by Naples

7/14/10 - After many calls interview rescheduled

7/13/10 - Husband mugged on way to interview, still waiting for new passport.

August 2010 - He got the new passport, but I moved to Italy - after trying to maintain overseas marriage, my life in the states was worth leaving

2/24/11 - Long story, now we both live in New Zealand :) (no greencard, hoping to transfer the case down under)

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

We had a similiar situation in Naples except the passport wasn't stolen, we were placed on "hold" because of a domicile issue and we are trying to get our case transfered to London. But there is really no advice or thoughts on teh matter anywhere on the web. The only thing I did that got a reply or answer is to email the USCIS Rome Field office about the case and they forwarded my email to the IV Unit in Naples. But no response. Also, I think it could help to contact your senator or Congressman in the US (from wherever you were living before).

Let me know if you find out anything!! We are desperate!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.