amiquechu

A friend in need of help

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The situation:

Somebody I know got her green card and had conditions removed. She then got divorced and requested a name change back to her maiden name. She filed the I-90 form last September to change the name and replace the green card. She received a NOA saying that the application had been approved and that she should wait for a letter with information regarding her biometric appointment and that if she did not hear from them within 90 days that she should call. She called after 90 days had passed (approximately three weeks ago) since she had not heard anything and they said there had not been a letter sent out with the biometric appointment information and that they would put in a request to have one sent out. Yesterday she received a letter in the mail saying that she had failed to appear at the biometric appointment (biometric appointment date last November) and that the application was denied for failure to appear. She called USCIS in a panic asking what to do, because she needs to have her name changed by mid-March. The person she talked to at USCIS suggested that she either refile the I-90 request for name change or file a I-290B (dispute), but the person at USCIS stopped short of admitting they screwed up. Does anybody know what would be the quickest way to rectify the situation? Does she have any hope of getting her name changed/new green card within the next month?

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

Why does she HAVE to have her name changed by mid March on her green card?

USCIS are never great for admitting their mistakes. I'd file that I 290B as well - the I 90 isn't cheap if I remember correctly!! And no, I'd say it's going to be difficult to get USCIS to admit their mistake and repair it in less than a month.

My only other suggestion would be to have her get her elected representative (Senator or congressman) involved - see what they suggest first. They may be able to intervene w/ out her having to go through the I 290B process.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

If she filed the expensive I-90, then she paid the $450 already, didn't she? If so, and in light that she never received the bio appointment letter, I would make an infopass appointment and get personal face to face. I surely wouldn't pay another $450 for this.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

She ended up making an infopass appointment yesterday and talked to a guy there. He recommended that she write a letter to USCIS describing the situation and request a new biometrics appointment. Then, as she was in the car on the way home, the guy from the infopass meeting actually called her because he felt bad for her and said he would personally put in a request for a new biometrics appointment and that she should get something in the mail within the next 10-15 days. He said if she didn't get anything in the mail that she could call him personally to help push things through.

Surprised the heck out of me how someone from USCIS was so willing to help.

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.