tenshiswife

AOS interview experience in Albany, NY (approved)

3 posts in this topic

Interview experience ( adjustment of status from B2 visa)

I will try my best to write as detail as possible and i hope this can help other memebers.

Came to USA with a B2 visa. I-94 expired on Mar 17, 2010 but only filed for AOS on Nov 8 , 2010.

Both me and my husband wear smartly (as if we are going for job interview)

Interview appointment: 9.15 am on Feb 14, 2010

Reach Albany office at 8.50am. Going through security check with no problems. Cellphones are not allow. They are super strict with this.

We hand over the bag of our documents/evidences with the interview letter to the security guard. By 9am we were seated at the waiting area.

We were call in by the IO at 9.45am. He is tall and very smart looking. We got into his room and was reunited with our bags of documents. We were told to raised our right hand and sworn in.

We were seated right in front of him. IO explained that the interview can be long or short. There is no specific time for it. He started by asking for my passport and my husband's ID. He then removed the I-94 and place my passport at the side of his table. He immediately return the photos i submitted when i sent in the application. He then asked when and how me and my husband met. I told the IO our story and the main reason we got together because we have a lot in common. My husband added that also because i love Motown. IO then asked me which Motown group i like the most which i answered The Supremes and The Temptations. IO replied he like The Temptations too.

He then explained that he have to asked those questions because they are alot of people fake the marriage in order to get a greencard. We nodded and agreed with what he said. He then asked if we have any lease agreement, bank statements or pictures that we can show him. I showed him our Sprint family plan bills where it have both of my name and my husband's name. The National Grid bills, and our joint checking account statement. I even showed him the medical bill i got from Albany Medical Center that was address to me ( this is to prove i stay in the same apartment with my husband) I then showed him our photo album. We only have 1 photo album ( about 150 pics). IO wanted to see our wedding pictures and pictures with our friends. We explained that we only got married in Albany city hall and my only friend is staying in Arizona. We also explained that we dont have any wedding reception yet because we are planning 1 for 2012 in Penang, Malaysia. He then took our wedding pictures and make a copy of it. I told him he can keep the rest of the national grid, sprint and bank statements. My husband also explained that he was unable to put in my name in the insurance because i have yet to have my SSA.

Then he explained a lot of the process is redundant but he still need to go through the forms 1 by 1. He started of with form I-130. Double check our details. Then he said he will approved the I-130 because he believe that we are in bonafide marriage.

He then proceeded to check the I-693 ( the medical).After I-693, he proceeded in checking the Affidavit of Support ( I-864). He was looking at my husband pay stub and an excel table i did to show him how much my husband made in 1 year because he have 2 jobs and we barely make it to the poverty line. He looked at the table for a quite sometimes and then he asked if we have the latest W2. I gave him copies of my husband W2.

He then check the I-485. He check our particulars like address, phone number, parents name and ask the those terrorist questions. Which i answered seriously. He then told us he will approve the I-485 because he really believe that we are in bonafide marriage.

He then explained to us about Removal of Condition and when we should file it. Told us to be very careful with the filing dates. Even though it saids we can file as early as 90 days before the expiration of the 2 years condition greencard, it is best to file 60days before expire instead of 90 days. Reason being is that, he is afraid if we file 90 days before the expiration date, we might miscalculate the days. if we send in 91 days before expiration, USCIS will denial it and we wont be able to get the fees back.

He also explained that we got the condition permanent resident because we only married less than 2 years. He then stress again because alot of people faking marriage for greencard, hence this is necessary so that USCIS will know that we are still married after 2 years.

Explain to us that we can apply citizenship 3 years from now if i want to.

He then told me that i will be expecting my greencard in the mail approximately 10 days from today.

The whole process took approximately 45 minutes. 90% of the time, the IO was checking our application forms and counter check with us to make sure it is correct. The whole process was very relaxing. No funny business or intimidating questions.

We leave the place with a big smile and happy that this part of the journey is over. We are very happy and grateful for all the members in this forum that help us and supported us through this journey.

Adjust from B2

09 Nov 2010 - File for 130, AOS, EAD and AP (sent via USPS Delivery Confirmation)

16 Nov 2010 - NOAs 1 received via email & check was cashed)- Day 5

19 Nov 2010 - Hardcopy of NOAs 1 (AR, AOS, EAD and AP)- Day 8

23 Nov 2010 - Received Biometric App Letter (14 Dec 2010 @ 11am)- Day 12

14 Dec 2010 - Biometric App - Day 33

21 Dec 2010 - Received 2nd Biometric App - Day 40

29 Dec 2010 - 2nd Biometric App - Day 48

14 Feb 2011 - Interview App - (approved together with I-130)Day 95

19 Feb 2011 - Received GC notice via USPS (Welcome to America) - Day 100

Removing of Conditions

14 Dec 12 - Sent I 751 package

19 Dec 12 - Received NOA1

22 Dec 12 - Received Biometric Apt Letter

10 Jan 13 - Biometric Apt

• 8 months later...

This post may be oldish but it's one of the best AOS posts I've seen yet. Thanks for taking the time to report back your experiences. Wish you nothing but happiness

K-1 Visa

I-129F application received at USCIS: November 30, 2010

I-129F approved: March 28, 2011

Packet 3 Received: April 11, 2011

Packet 3 forms submitted to Consulate: May 4, 2011

Packet 4 received: June 16th, 2011

Interview date: July 25, 2011 (Pink!)

Pick up Visa: August 1, 2011

POE: August 5th, 2001 (Woot!)

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the info, my journey is just beginning

6/29/12 AOS Package mailed Chicago Lockbox

7/01/12 Package delivered

7/09/12 NOA email notification

7/14/12 Received hard copy of NOA in the mail

7/16/12 Received biometric appointment letter for 8/01/12

7/23/12 Successful walk in Biometrics

8/15/12 Received email for interview notice

8/17/12 Received interview notice in the mail

9/10/12 EAD card ordered, (didnt get email or text checked it on USCIS website)

9/18/12 EAD card received in the mail

9/18/12 Interview done, approved on the spot!

9/19/12 Got email that approval notice was mailed out on 9/18/12

9/22/12 Received Approval notice in the mail

9/24/12 Got email that greencard was sent in the mail

9/26/12 Received greencard in the mail, thank you lord!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.