scooby06

A bad Lawyer consultation

1 post in this topic

I just want to share this with you all. Hopefully you can give me some pointers and insight into this matter.

I called an Immigration lawyer in regards to my parents AOS. At first he seemed O.K telling me about how to start the process. When we got to the Affidavit of Support I explained to him that my income was below the poverty line. He then started to ask if we had any other income, savings or properties. I told him my husband is not working, but we have a house. The house, however, did not have enough in value to qualify for the needed asset. This was his responds, " How would I know what would qualify. After all I am not a lawyer ." I then explained to him that my household size is 4 , the amount of the poverty line is $27'563. Right know I make about 15'000 a year. That leaves a total of $ 15'000, I need to cover. I then multiplied that by 5 years and came to a total of $ 75'000.

His respond to this was. If I want to play Lawyer I should not bother him. My calculations are absolutely wrong and the laws regarding the affidavit of support change all the time. I don't have to multiply the reminder by 5 but only by 3. This means I only need a total of 45'000 in assets not 75'000.

I believe that over the last few weeks , I have read that USCIS lately is not even accepting properties assets any more. So for me, this was not even an important conversation. I never even had a change to tell him trough out the conversation that I have a joint sponsor.

There is one more thing that has bothered me. My dad had a misdemeanor several years ago. It go dismissed by a Judge. I asked the lawyer what we need to do in this regard and if it could be a problem. He said no problems at all and that it would not even come up as they are no criminal charges. Now correct me if I am wrong, but even if it is a civil judgment and goes to small claims, is it not a criminal charge?? Don't we need to get copies of this charge and other paperwork like incident report?

He blew me totally of on this matter and I am surly not happy with this consultation.

Sep. 19-06 send AOS papers

Oct. 02-06 received NOS of papers

Oct. 02-06 received Biometric appointment letter

Oct. 11-06 Biometric appointment

Oct. 12-06 RFE for I-485

Dec. 05-06 USCIS recived RFE package

Dec. 15-06 Recived Email EAD approved.

Dec. 21-06 Recived EAD card in mail

Jan. 05-07 send AR-11 to HLS

Feb. 12-07 Recived SS card in mail

Mar. 09-07 Recived USCIS updat notification on change of address (at new address)

Aug. 01-07 Interview date

Aug. 01-07 Interview in Memphis. Approved

Aug. 12-07 Conditional GC in mail

May 01 -2009 Start of Removing Conditon of Residancy send I-751 off

May. 04-09 I-751 package deliverd at USCIS Vermont

May. 16-09 NOA for I-751

May. 29-09 recived Biometric appointment letter

Jun. 09-09 Biometric Appointment

Oct. 13-09 Letter arrived. Approved

Oct. 26-09 10 Year GC in mail

May 04 - 2010 Start of Natruralization process sent N-400

May 06 - 10 N-400 delivered to Uscis Texas

May 18 - 10 recived NOA

Jun. 14 - 10 Biometric appointment

Aug. 11 - 10 Interview appointment

Spt. 29 - 10 Oath letter asrrived

Oct. 21- 10 I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.