Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Where to start?!

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Firstly, I apologize for my lack of understanding of the entire immigration system. I've read through numerous threads on this site as well as others, but am still unsure of the best option for this situation.

SO, I'm hoping for some advice, preferably from those who have experience with a similar situation to mine.

I am a US citizen. For the past two(ish) years I have been living in the UK. Whilst there I met my boyfriend. Unfortunately, my UK visa expired and I am now back in the US. We took a holiday to Canada over New Years and became engaged at that time. The original plan was for him to transfer his current studies to a university in the US, therefore get a student visa, and we would work out the marriage visa later. However, it's very clear that a student visa will not be granted for those with intent to remain in the US.

I'd really appreciate any advice and suggestions you have!

I have a feeling the general response is going to be "get a K-1." If that is the only option, so be it, but if there are any other options what so ever, please please fill me in. I've probably provided unnecessary background information, but I'm trying to be as specific as possible in the hope that someone can help me!

Once again, apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks for your time, you wise visa people, you. =]

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You CAN get married via courthouse or something, he can go back to the UK (or could do it there if it's possible) and you can apply for a CR-1. This would allow it so you wouldn't have to AOS after your wedding, he would automatically be able to get a SSN and GC. Or you could marry, then live with him there in the UK and file DCF after 6 months or longer. I'm not sure how it works in the UK but when we got married, we flew back to Belgium and I was able to reside there right off, no waiting. Just had to have our marriage certif apostilled and show my passport and such. We lived there little over a year, filed DCF and then got the visa to come back here.

That's the only other option I see.

Edited by Mithmeoi


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.