Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

J1 change of status to J2

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts


I'm looking for information for a friend of mine. She came in the US with the Fullbright program under a J1. Her boyfriend came with the same program, but a year later. In case they get married here, is she able to switch to J2 (considering she will be the spouse of the J1 holder) and extend her stay in the US?

She also has a 2-years home residence requirement, so she would need to apply to the waiver.

Thanks a lot

2007: Buenos Aires

2008: New York

2009: New York, Paris

03/12/2010: Came to Chicago under J1

09/14/2010: Got married!

09/16/2010: Sent AOS application, I-130, I-131 and I-765

09/24/2010: NOA1

09/27/2010: I-485 touched

11/18/2010: I-131 approved

11/19/2010: Biometrics

02/09/2011: Green Card interview

Mid Feb 2011: Green Card received!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.