Dau Que

Sending $$ to her family in VN

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

So my wife called home to VN the other day, her oldest sister ask her when she's sending money home so that she can have spending money for Tet. My wife and I already agreed that we were not going to send money for Tet this year. But the fact that the sister in law just assumed we were going to rubbed me the wrong way. Not angry and PO'ed, just a bit annoyed.

I still don't understand how her family servives. I get that they don't have a mortgage. But no one works in that family. Everyone is perfectly capable of working, but no one has a job. It boggles my mind.

We normally send money home twice a year, Tet and in the fall for her mom's memorial. 500 each time. I just don't know how they survive. That money isn't going to last that long. I will not send them money just for living expenses (food, utilities, gas, etc). Medical emergencies are fine, I have no problems shelling out for that.

And it's not like they are living off bags of noodles. Seems like they eat well, have internet, cable tv. I don't know how they do it.

Unfortunately, and I hope they're not, I've heard that a lot of people in VN now are borrowing against their houses and spending off of that... basically doing reverse mortgages, except they're not sr citizens yet so the equity will run out far too early.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

when i call my aunts and uncles just to say hello and how are you they would hint that they need money but would not directly ask. such as saying life is so tough and working in the rice fields will never lead to a better life. the funny thing is they have acres upon acres of rice fields not to mention the govt. are returning some more land to them after seizing it a long time ago. i dont get why they say they are so poor. when i visit them everything seems so self sustaining. they have a farm where chickens/ducks/pigs just free range. next to the farm are 30+ mango trees, 30+ orange trees (trai buoi) and a ton of other fruit trees. they have large four storees homes, internet, flat screens and dress well. from my eyes life is good over there. im planning to retire and live in vietnam.

Timeline

My wifes family does very well there also. They all work and have a huge house complex that goes from the main street to the local market in the back part. They have shops along the street and also stalls and shops that front the market. They also own land and everyone works or else has a shop to make money. My wifes parents did have 14 kids though and money could be tight but they are known to be not rich but doing OK. They have never asked for money but we do send a lot of over the counter meds and perfume for the mother and a couple of sisters. We are now shipping a box full of meds and perfume to a cousin in San Diego so he can give it to them. The mother calls sometimes and asks if we can get something for a rash or constipation or what not and I always find something and get it. When we know of someone going over then we pack it up and send it to them so they can take. I did say that maybe we should send money to the family for the holidays and my wife said her mother told us to not do so and that we maybe needed it more. Guess I am lucky.

I am supposed to keep my eyes open for suitable husbands for eligible babes there and have hooked up two now. So I now only need to find a couple dozen more.whistling.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just to put things in perspective for alot of you to consider before sending money to VN...

Annual salary in Vietnam is approximately $2,000 USD for a family of 3-4 to live comfortably.

You have to keep in mind that you may need to continuously remind your VN family a few things:

• Yes, I make 20,000+ a year
  • Yes, I have bills of 19,000+ per year
  • Yes, I believe you have two hands and two feet (hopefully!), and
  • No, I can not send you money because it is MY hard earned money

People don't realize that the cost of living in the US is higher than in VN...all they see is the 5 or 6 figures you bring in before having to pay bills and mortgage and food....

...just food for thought!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Yes, the cost of living is way different, but many people over here do realize that. Unfortunately, there's a preconception that everyone is rich in the U.S. Hearing stories that even poor people receive money even without needing to work doesn't help. I try to explain about welfare, but people will want to believe what they want to believe it seems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.