8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Question for any of you who might be able to help

I am currently going through the I-129F process with my fiance and I have a question that we have been unable to find the answer to. My fiance is currently a student so he has not served in the Turkish military. Is it possible for him to still be approved to get a K-1 Visa to come here eventhough he has not served in the military? Does anyone know the stipulations around this? If he is able to come without serving in the military will there be any restrictions that could be imposed upon him? I.E if he was approved for the visa to come here, could they (TURKEY) hold him if he returned to Turkey later on and require him to pay monies to the Turkish government in lieu of serving, or could they hold him there and refuse him the right to return to the USA until he serves?

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moving this to regional discussion.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I asked my husband what he thought about this situation and here is what he said (not sure how helpful this information will be, maybe you already know it): He thinks that he can definitely get the visa. After your fiance graduates, he can also delay his military duty for 2 years. Efe also thinks that, for example, if your fiance were to go back to Turkey and the military service was overdue, that they would track that when he goes through customs in Turkey. Hopefully you can find a more solid answer.

11/29/2010 Sent AOS package
12/10/2010 NOA1
01/07/2011 AOS transfer to CSC
01/11/2011 Biometrics
2/08/2011 AOS approved
2/22/2011 Green card in hand!

Timeline

I asked my husband what he thought about this situation and here is what he said (not sure how helpful this information will be, maybe you already know it): He thinks that he can definitely get the visa. After your fiance graduates, he can also delay his military duty for 2 years. Efe also thinks that, for example, if your fiance were to go back to Turkey and the military service was overdue, that they would track that when he goes through customs in Turkey. Hopefully you can find a more solid answer.

Great,

Thank you so much for your response. Honestly, any information provided is of great help. Honestly whatever we have to do after the fact we are willing to do, we just did not want this to jeopardize the visa. Now, let me ask you this, he is not scheduled to graduate prior to when we might have his interview for the K-1 Visa, do you think that will be a problem?

Thanks

event.png

2010.07.10 We met

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Great,

Thank you so much for your response. Honestly, any information provided is of great help. Honestly whatever we have to do after the fact we are willing to do, we just did not want this to jeopardize the visa. Now, let me ask you this, he is not scheduled to graduate prior to when we might have his interview for the K-1 Visa, do you think that will be a problem?

Thanks

Yes he may have issues going back into turkey. Its better that he serves...He will soon be a college graduate and they can be allowed to serve less time...If he wants to return to turkey it is smarter he does his military time because it can cause issues in future.

Timeline

He won't have a problem getting a visa to come here. He will have to do his military service at some point in the future though, and he has until the age of 38 to do so. When he's here, he will have to goto the turkish consulate and file paperwork every 2 years to request an extension for his military service. He can only get this extension if he can show that he is actually working or attending school here. If he fails to file for this extension in a timely manner, and decides to visit Turkey, he could potentially be taken away and have to serve at that time, or face some sort of trial. They don't take such extreme action until he's flagged as "wanted" by the military and there's a decent grace period if he does fail to file for the extension on a timely manner. (usually they let you get away with a year or two)

Once he's here and working or studying, he will have the option to serve out his military duty in a very short period of time, if he pays an additional fee. The service is for 3 weeks (give or take a few days) and you will have to pay 8500 euros (I believe thats the current rate, I might be off a little though) You lose out on this benefit if he ever goes back to turkey for more than 6 months in a given year.

That's usually the easiest, if he were to serve before coming here, it'll be a minimum of 6 or 9 months.

Hope that helps.

Married 08-17-2006

K3 Visa Started 08-26-2006

K3 Visa Received 03-29-2007

AOS Started 07-25-2007

2yr - GC Received 05-12-2008

ROC Started 02-02-2009

10yr - GC Received 06-10-2010

Naturalization

N-400 Sent 01-29-2011

NOA Received 02-14-2011

Biometrics 02-23-2011

Interview Letter __-__-2011

Interview __-__-2011

Oath __-__-2011

When it's all done, it will have taken approximately 4 years and 9 months

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

He won't have a problem getting a visa to come here. He will have to do his military service at some point in the future though, and he has until the age of 38 to do so. When he's here, he will have to goto the turkish consulate and file paperwork every 2 years to request an extension for his military service. He can only get this extension if he can show that he is actually working or attending school here. If he fails to file for this extension in a timely manner, and decides to visit Turkey, he could potentially be taken away and have to serve at that time, or face some sort of trial. They don't take such extreme action until he's flagged as "wanted" by the military and there's a decent grace period if he does fail to file for the extension on a timely manner. (usually they let you get away with a year or two)

Once he's here and working or studying, he will have the option to serve out his military duty in a very short period of time, if he pays an additional fee. The service is for 3 weeks (give or take a few days) and you will have to pay 8500 euros (I believe thats the current rate, I might be off a little though) You lose out on this benefit if he ever goes back to turkey for more than 6 months in a given year.

That's usually the easiest, if he were to serve before coming here, it'll be a minimum of 6 or 9 months.

Hope that helps.

Thank ou so much for the information and I will certainly make sure that he files for his extensions with the Turkish Consulate every two years while he is here to request an extension on his military service. I really appreciate the information. Thanks so much!

event.png

2010.07.10 We met

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.