vosk

Travelling into US while CR-1 processing

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are waiting for I-864/DS-230 approval and my husband is in Canada, me in the US. He came into the US for Christmas and the customs agent told him he is not allowed to travel into the US while the Visa is processing and should he encounter a mean border agent they may deny him entry and even cancel the application. I have read several posts about traveling and understand they have the right to deny entry and he should bring ties to his homeland, but has anyone heard of them denying the Visa approval because of this?? We would like to go to Hawaii on vacation and are willing to take the risk that he may be denied but not risk getting our application denied and starting this year long process all over again. We have a lawyer who has been extremely unhelpful and does not seem to know anything about this subject.

Thanks!!

Timeline

We are waiting for I-864/DS-230 approval and my husband is in Canada, me in the US. He came into the US for Christmas and the customs agent told him he is not allowed to travel into the US while the Visa is processing and should he encounter a mean border agent they may deny him entry and even cancel the application. I have read several posts about traveling and understand they have the right to deny entry and he should bring ties to his homeland, but has anyone heard of them denying the Visa approval because of this?? We would like to go to Hawaii on vacation and are willing to take the risk that he may be denied but not risk getting our application denied and starting this year long process all over again. We have a lawyer who has been extremely unhelpful and does not seem to know anything about this subject.

Thanks!!

I am in the middle of a CR-1 Visa process...our case just got completed at the NVC stage. I cross into the US about 2-3 times a week to see my husband. My story never changes...I always mention wh are in the process and where about we are. I have NEVER had a problem. Even when we were just dating, never had a hassle.

I keep copies of my marriage certificate, rent receipts, utility bills and of course, copies of our 130 petition receipt and our 130 petition approval.

It really seems like he got someone on a bad day. He can be denied entry if he doesnt prove residence in Canada...but as long as he carries the documentation, like I listed above...they would have no reason to deny him.

Met in 2004 at a Dave Matthews Band concert, started dating November 2005, engaged February 2009 and married November 14, 2009. Together in the US on March 19th 2011

CR-1 journey

USCIS: (170 days)

2010-03-27: I-130 sent

2010-09-23: NOA2

NVC: (93 days)

2010-10-06: NVC Case Number assigned

2011-01-05: SIF and Case Completion!

2011-02-15: Medical in Toronto

2011-03-07: Interview approved (335 days from NOA1)

2011-03-10: Passport received

2011-03-19: POE - Buffalo, NY

2011-03-28: SSN received

2011-03-31: USCIS Welcome

2011-04-05: Conditional Green Card received

2012-11-30: Notice to file I-751 received

2012-12-12: I-751 (Remove of Conditions) sent

2013-08-16: Conditions removed. 10 year Permanent Resident Card received

Timeline

Thanks!!

No they cannot just deny his visa for no reason....they can deny him entry into the Country and then "secondary" could be a new battle as they can be a pain in the ####### once you have been denied entry but being denied entry will not affect your visa.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

Thanks all, good to hear you both have never had problems and they can't cancel our application. He has been to the US dozens of times since we started our paperwork and never had a problem so we were a little freaked out when he said they could deny our application just for going to the US. He has never had to show any documents, but after reading this we will definitely travel with those going forward.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.