monicatony

just starting out

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello fellow lovebirds

I married my American husband in Canada and we are just waiting on the marriage certificate so we can get started on the K3. He lives in Indiana. What is step one? Even though the ceremony was up here I think we still fill out the packet and send it off to a service centre in his area. Anyone know for sure where the heck we start?

Thanks Mon

p.s. When you get a background check from your local police... do you have to be prepared to give them all your addresses since you were 16?

Filed: Other Timeline

once you get your marriage certificate, your husband will file petition I-130 to the Nebraska service centre. When he gets the NOA from that, he can send petition I-129F to Missouri. (both petitions required G-325A bio forms to be included from both of you, as well as other supporting documents, read instructions carefully) And then you wait a few months.

No, you do NOT need to get police records from every city you've ever lived in in Canada. You only need ONE police check from the RCMP Canada wide, takes about a week. Unless you have a criminal record, then you'll need a fingerprints report, and that'll take a few months. If you have no criminal record, then wait on this until you have the petition approved tho. They're only valid about 6 months I think, so if you were to get it now, it'd be expired by the time your interview rolls around.

Congratulations, and welcome to the journey.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The process is somewhat designed around the American citizen marying in the foreign country. So yes, the process is the same. You have to get that marriage certificate and get yourself a few additional certified copies of it. At the same time get certified copies of your long form Canadian birth certificate and get certified copies of the USC's long form birth certificate.

You need police certificates from every country you have lived in for 6 months or longer since you were 16. The police do these checks, at least in Canada based on your name. They only want your current address. If you have ever been arrested or have anything else nasty on your police certificate, you will need a fingerprint check.

The first form you file is an I-130. It gets filed in the service center having jurisdiction over the USC's current address. After you get the receipt from the I-130 you file a K3 petition (I-129F).

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Hi and congrats on your wedding.

As for being able to deliver your life's history -- YES! lol. I think many of the K3 and K1 forms are the same and if so, then they do ask for your residential addresses, employment and education history as well as visits to the US.

Just do yourself a favour and get yourself a drink and maybe a little snack before settling down to begin filling out forms - you may be there a while!

Good luck!

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The process is somewhat designed around the American citizen marying in the foreign country. So yes, the process is the same. You have to get that marriage certificate and get yourself a few additional certified copies of it. At the same time get certified copies of your long form Canadian birth certificate and get certified copies of the USC's long form birth certificate.

You need police certificates from every country you have lived in for 6 months or longer since you were 16. The police do these checks, at least in Canada based on your name. They only want your current address. If you have ever been arrested or have anything else nasty on your police certificate, you will need a fingerprint check.

The first form you file is an I-130. It gets filed in the service center having jurisdiction over the USC's current address. After you get the receipt from the I-130 you file a K3 petition (I-129F).

:o Certified copies??? I just check the Guide of I-130 (again, we just send it) and nowhere it says "certified", only "copies"...now i'm really preoccupied!!...

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

ok, Knowledge... take a deep breath and calm down :)

With the orignal I-130 package you only need to send copies but the NVC or the Embassy (depending on what country you are from) will ask for the certified copies of your birth certificate and marriage certificate...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

With the orignal I-130 package you only need to send copies but the NVC or the Embassy (depending on what country you are from) will ask for the certified copies of your birth certificate and marriage certificate...

Thanks for everyone's help! The journey begins.... We'll start filling out the I 130. I know an immigration officer at the airport can give me a certified copy of the marriage ct....wonder who certifies a birth certificate. I know I don't have the "long" form so I guess I'll get working on that too....

Thanks again!

Mon

Hi and congrats on your wedding.

As for being able to deliver your life's history -- YES! lol. I think many of the K3 and K1 forms are the same and if so, then they do ask for your residential addresses, employment and education history as well as visits to the US.

Just do yourself a favour and get yourself a drink and maybe a little snack before settling down to begin filling out forms - you may be there a while!

Good luck!

Mo

Thanks Mo!

I visited the US almost every 2 weeks for the last 1 1/2 years so THAT will require a large space to document. May require more than one bottle of wine while filling out forms...... don't want to mess up anything though. According to the K3 guide... we send the forms and copies of documents and both of our passport pictures in the first step....sound right to you?

Cheers

Mon

once you get your marriage certificate, your husband will file petition I-130 to the Nebraska service centre. When he gets the NOA from that, he can send petition I-129F to Missouri. (both petitions required G-325A bio forms to be included from both of you, as well as other supporting documents, read instructions carefully) And then you wait a few months.

No, you do NOT need to get police records from every city you've ever lived in in Canada. You only need ONE police check from the RCMP Canada wide, takes about a week. Unless you have a criminal record, then you'll need a fingerprints report, and that'll take a few months. If you have no criminal record, then wait on this until you have the petition approved tho. They're only valid about 6 months I think, so if you were to get it now, it'd be expired by the time your interview rolls around.

Congratulations, and welcome to the journey.

Thanks for the good info. Wish me luck!

Cheers

Mon

Timeline

Do get the long form birth certificate take a look here to see what you need to do to get it for the province you were born in... you might want to send for it now because sometimes it can take awhile to receive it...

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/birthcertificates/

this is what a long form Birth certifcate should have on it.. "Long Form (Certified) - This contains all registered information, including parents' information, and signatures and is a copy of the original record. It is provided in the form of a certified copy."

As for the certified marriage certificate ,the one you are waiting for is the certified one.... you don't need to go out and get it certified :no:

As for listing all the times you have visited the US, you can be a bit general about it.... They are aware that because Canada is so close to the US that we Canadians might visit the US alot... I would put the major trips and then just generalize the other trips... like put "from such and such a date I made frequent trips to the United States"... This is what I did and I had no problems.... I wouldn't even have been able to remember all the trips I made to the US.... For 15 years I lived only 40 minutes from the border and we would frequently pop over to the US for a day trip....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

by "certified" they mean the actual certificate you get from the appropriate government office, that's all. the only office that can "certify" a document as original is the office it comes from. For birth and marriage certificates, that's the provincial or county registrar.

In Ontario, they'll only allow you one copy of your long form birth certificate, no idea about other provinces. You send a photocopy of it with your petitions, and then take the "original certified" with you to your interview. Same with the marriage certificate. We got 2 certified copies from the county court house when we were married, but only ever had to pull one out once at my consular interview.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
by "certified" they mean the actual certificate you get from the appropriate government office, that's all. the only office that can "certify" a document as original is the office it comes from. For birth and marriage certificates, that's the provincial or county registrar.

In Ontario, they'll only allow you one copy of your long form birth certificate, no idea about other provinces. You send a photocopy of it with your petitions, and then take the "original certified" with you to your interview. Same with the marriage certificate. We got 2 certified copies from the county court house when we were married, but only ever had to pull one out once at my consular interview.

You can get more copies of the Long Form Birth Certifcate but after the first one it costs more. I got three. Just to be safe but at the interview the returned the orignal and only kept the copy. And order it online it is ALOT faster. 15 days I think. Otherwise the first one I ordered took months.

Edited by Buttons

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Timeline

Thank you very much Marilyn, i'm in Canada. :blush: I'm learning something today...i have looked at your timeline, noticed the rule is to send them the certified copies..So we are then going to prepare...i believe it's at the DS-230 moment...right?..

And also would like to congragulate you for your baby!!!! wow!!! :dance:

You can get more copies of the Long Form Birth Certifcate but after the first one it costs more. I got three. Just to be safe but at the interview the returned the orignal and only kept the copy. And order it online it is ALOT faster. 15 days I think. Otherwise the first one I ordered took months.

Thanks for the valuable info!!!

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

NVC :

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

Timeline

Thank you very much Marilyn, i'm in Canada. :blush: I'm learning something today...i have looked at your timeline, noticed the rule is to send them the certified copies..So we are then going to prepare...i believe it's at the DS-230 moment...right?..

Yeah when you get the DS-230 send in the certified copies with that form.... Our lawyer sent in photocopies :P..... that is why we got the RFE.... I had to explain to him that the NVC wanted the certified copies...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Yeah when you get the DS-230 send in the certified copies with that form.... Our lawyer sent in photocopies :P..... that is why we got the RFE.... I had to explain to him that the NVC wanted the certified copies...

Thank you very much!...i hope you fired him! :yes:

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

NVC :

In USA:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Congradulations on the wedding! sounds like your on the same step of the same journey as us.

Very recently, ordering your marrage certificate is available online in ont. Make sure you order it online! we applied by mail in early may... decided they lost it in late july, and ordered online. Both of them arrived within a week of eachother.

I wasnt expecting a 4 month wait for the marriage cert, in the states its a week at most (and calling the Office of the Registar is a joke.... only take calls from 1:00 to 4:00 on tuesdays or somethign stupid) It really threw off our plans, so be certain to plan for it =)

Service Center: Nebraska Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

First Met:..............................2003-08-14

Proposed:.............................2006-2-10

Marriage:..............................2006-04-29

Marriage License Applied for:..2006-05-08

Marriage License Recieved:....2006-08-15 (bout time....)

I 130

I-130 Sent:......................2006-08-17

I-130 NOA1 issued:..........2006-08-28

Touch:............................2006-08-30

I-130 Check Cashed:........2006-09-01

APPROVED.......................2006-10-24 (68 Days)

Case Number Assigned......2006-11-13

Choice of Agent accepted...2006-11-20 (via email)

IV Bill Generated................2006-11-27

RFE.................................2007-??-??

CASE COMPLETE @ NVC......2007-12-14

INTERVIEW.......................2008-5-7 -- APPROVED AND DONE!

I 129F

I-129F Sent:..................2006-09-05

I-129F NOA1 Issued:......2006-09-11

I-129F NOA1 Recvd:......2006-09-13

Touch:..........................2006-09-14

Touch:..........................2006-09-20

Touch:..........................2006-10-23 (Transfer to CSC)

Touch:..........................2006-10-25

1-129F Approved...........2006-11-29

Packet 3 Recvd..............2006-12-19

Medical.........................2007-01-5

Packet 3 Sent................2007-01-18

Interview Scheduled.......2007-06-19 APPROVED!

Visa in hand..................2007-06-25

Moving Day!..................2007-06-30

Timeline

Thank you very much!...i hope you fired him! :yes:

we should have I guess but we were close to the end of our journey and we had paid him quite a bit of money already so we didn't :whistle:

Congradulations on the wedding! sounds like your on the same step of the same journey as us.

Very recently, ordering your marrage certificate is available online in ont. Make sure you order it online! we applied by mail in early may... decided they lost it in late july, and ordered online. Both of them arrived within a week of eachother.

I wasnt expecting a 4 month wait for the marriage cert, in the states its a week at most (and calling the Office of the Registar is a joke.... only take calls from 1:00 to 4:00 on tuesdays or somethign stupid) It really threw off our plans, so be certain to plan for it =)

I got mine sent to me a couple of months after our wedding... I didn't have to apply for it or anything.... :huh: This was in BC, so maybe it works different there...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.