Ali Flower

Crochet Hook Allowed in US Consulate?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I've put this in the right spot. My k-1 interview is coming up soon, Jan 18 in Montreal. I'm starting to teach myself to crochet, and I find it to be very calming. I could definitely use some calm while I'm waiting for my name to be called for the interview (I'm sure it will be fine but I tend to get nervous thinking of all the things that COULD go wrong even though they probably won't...lol).

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to bring my crochet hook and some yarn in the consulate with me? Would the hook be considered a "tool" so therefore a prohibited item? Obviously I wouldn't bring scissors, but I was hoping that because there isn't really a sharp point on a crochet hook that it would be allowed.

Has anyone tried to bring one in? Will they confiscate items you can't bring in or do you have to leave the line and drop them off somewhere before you'd be allowed in?

Thanks! :)

K-1 Visa ~ VSC

Sent: April 1, 2010
Interview Date: Jan 18, 2011
APPROVED!!
POE: March 4, 2011
Wedding: April 2, 2011

Adjustment of Status
Filed AOS, EAD, AP: May 4, 2011
NOA: May 16, 2011
Transfer to CSC: June 1, 2011
Biometrics: June 9, 2011
AOS Approved: June 27, 2011

Removal of Conditions

Filed: April 13, 2013

NOA: April 17. 2013

Biometrics: May 31, 2013

No it is NOT allowed. It is something that could be used as a weapon and therefore it is not allowed in a secured government building. To pass time, bring a book, but in all honesty you may not be waiting all that long.

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I've put this in the right spot. My k-1 interview is coming up soon, Jan 18 in Montreal. I'm starting to teach myself to crochet, and I find it to be very calming. I could definitely use some calm while I'm waiting for my name to be called for the interview (I'm sure it will be fine but I tend to get nervous thinking of all the things that COULD go wrong even though they probably won't...lol).

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to bring my crochet hook and some yarn in the consulate with me? Would the hook be considered a "tool" so therefore a prohibited item? Obviously I wouldn't bring scissors, but I was hoping that because there isn't really a sharp point on a crochet hook that it would be allowed.

Has anyone tried to bring one in? Will they confiscate items you can't bring in or do you have to leave the line and drop them off somewhere before you'd be allowed in?

Thanks! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In august 2009 when I went for my interview at montreal there was a note taped on the window at the front door that specifically said no knitting needles of any sort. It also had pictures of different knitting and crochet items with a giant red circle and bar through them. Not sure if its still on the window but no you cant bring anything remotly "weapon like" into the place.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Thanks for the responses guys. That's good to know for sure. I was pretty sure that it wouldn't be ok, I just thought I'd double check.

Hopefully I won't be waiting very long, but a book will be a good backup. Thanks again! :)

K-1 Visa ~ VSC

Sent: April 1, 2010
Interview Date: Jan 18, 2011
APPROVED!!
POE: March 4, 2011
Wedding: April 2, 2011

Adjustment of Status
Filed AOS, EAD, AP: May 4, 2011
NOA: May 16, 2011
Transfer to CSC: June 1, 2011
Biometrics: June 9, 2011
AOS Approved: June 27, 2011

Removal of Conditions

Filed: April 13, 2013

NOA: April 17. 2013

Biometrics: May 31, 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.