sammy060382

American Tax Returns when no money is owed

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I filed my American taxes for the past three tax years back in August and was wondering why I wasn't receiving anything in the mail. Well, I got around to calling the IRS tonight and inquired about my tax returns. They had apparently been finished for a while but what was interesting was that the woman I talked to at the IRS said they wouldn't be sending anything in the mail since no tax was owed nor was I going to get a tax refund. For some reason, I thought that I would get something back from the IRS in the mail that my Canadian husband could use at his interview in a few months. Instead, he will need to use the copies of the tax return our accountant sent to the IRS. Since i'm sure several people in this forum have been in the same boat since they also worked in another country but still had to file their taxes in the U.S., i'm just wondering if I should actually be receiving something from the IRS and if not, a copy of the tax return that was sent to the IRS is sufficient in the interview.

Thanks for any help,

- Sam

Filed: Timeline

The copies that you sent might help a little, but you're prob going to be much better off presenting something that actually came from the IRS. B/c there's always the possibility that you only filled out the tax forms, and did no submit them.

Hi again,

Just wondering what everyone else did in my situation. I'm certain that anyone else who has filed a U.S. tax return while living in another country would be in the exact same situation as myself.

Thanks,

- Sam

The copies that you sent might help a little, but you're prob going to be much better off presenting something that actually came from the IRS. B/c there's always the possibility that you only filled out the tax forms, and did no submit them.

That's what I was thinking. I'd still love to know what other people used, but i'll go ahead and get the tax transcripts as well.

Thanks,

- Sam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.