MikelanNida

travel warnings

22 posts in this topic

I'm in no way an expert, but I spent about 6 weeks in Mindanao this summer; almost all of it around the Butuan area.

I felt safe at all times but keep in mind that I was always with other people. And since you aren't going to be in the "bad" areas, I would guess you'll be pretty safe. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Enjoy your trip.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Davao City is beautiful & safe. Enjoy! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Amen Davao City!

I have traveled to Mindanao 4 times with no problems. Having said this, I took extra precautions like many have suggested. Be constantly aware of your surroundings, low profile and keep to the busy areas to shop etc.

i will land in butuan head to bus station and head towards mangagoy, bislig area, its the bus ride that bothers me, i can handle myself on foot and read peoples body language etc. but the bus will go where it will go... maybe i just worry too much.

I am not exactly sure of your locations because looking on a map Bislig in Mindanao and Mangagay are fairly far apart. If your destination is in Mangagoy area you will be very near Cotabato City and there has been numerous problems with MILF there in the past. The map I looked at showed Bislig near Davao City area. I can not find an airport called Butuan in Mindanao but have heard of a city called Butuan . Needless to say I am confused at this point to help you further. However the warnings the US State Dept puts out are usually way over exaggerated. I believe the warnings are to scare people from going anywhere is Mindanao. Here is a report from the Philippine Government put out yesterday based upon the US State Dept.'s latest warning of traveling to the Philippines:

Aquino to ask for reconsideration of travel advisories

President Benigno Aquino III will discuss with several foreign leaders their concerns on the safety of their citizens in the Philippines when he attends the 18th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders Meeting in Japan next week.

In a media interview in Malacanang on Friday, the President said the government has been communicating with the embassies of the Unites States, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Canada and France which have issued travel advisories warning their respective citizens of possible terror plots in several areas in Mindanao including Metro Manila.

The President said the Philippines will request in the most diplomatic way for a reconsideration of such advisories particularly if there is no concrete basis.

The President said the issue could be raised with the foreign leaders when he attends the 18th APEC Economic Leaders Meeting in Yokohama, Japan slated on Nov. 12-15.

“We will be meeting with a lot of them for the APEC visit by next week,†the President said.

As it is, he said the Philippines does not consider the matter lightly and government security forces are now preemptively monitoring the possible entry of terrorists including linkage with domestic terror groups “to prevent them from carrying out any plans.â€

The six foreign embassies issued their travel advisories this week after an alleged “cargo bomb" from Yemen destined to the United States was foiled last week and triggered fears that the terrorist group al-Qaida was launching another terror campaign.

I am not exactly sure of your locations because looking on a map Bislig in Mindanao and Mangagay are fairly far apart. If your destination is in Mangagoy area you will be very near Cotabato City and there has been numerous problems with MILF there in the past. The map I looked at showed Bislig near Davao City area. I can not find an airport called Butuan in Mindanao but have heard of a city called Butuan . Needless to say I am confused at this point to help you further. However the warnings the US State Dept puts out are usually way over exaggerated. I believe the warnings are to scare people from going anywhere is Mindanao. Here is a report from the Philippine Government put out yesterday based upon the US State Dept.'s latest warning of traveling to the Philippines:

Aquino to ask for reconsideration of travel advisories

President Benigno Aquino III will discuss with several foreign leaders their concerns on the safety of their citizens in the Philippines when he attends the 18th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders Meeting in Japan next week.

In a media interview in Malacanang on Friday, the President said the government has been communicating with the embassies of the Unites States, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Canada and France which have issued travel advisories warning their respective citizens of possible terror plots in several areas in Mindanao including Metro Manila.

The President said the Philippines will request in the most diplomatic way for a reconsideration of such advisories particularly if there is no concrete basis.

The President said the issue could be raised with the foreign leaders when he attends the 18th APEC Economic Leaders Meeting in Yokohama, Japan slated on Nov. 12-15.

“We will be meeting with a lot of them for the APEC visit by next week,†the President said.

As it is, he said the Philippines does not consider the matter lightly and government security forces are now preemptively monitoring the possible entry of terrorists including linkage with domestic terror groups “to prevent them from carrying out any plans.â€

The six foreign embassies issued their travel advisories this week after an alleged “cargo bomb" from Yemen destined to the United States was foiled last week and triggered fears that the terrorist group al-Qaida was launching another terror campaign.

I just pulled up another may with more detail of Mindanao and see exactly where you will arrive and travel to. I would feel safe in any place of that area of Mindanao. As far as the long bus ride, I would feel a little unesay if I tarveled anywhere in the Phils myself that distance myself and I would ask my wife to send a few of her brothers to meet me at the Butuan bus station to travel with me. It appears as if there could be some rural areas for the buss to travel through. Maybe there is a closer bus airport than Butuan to cut the travel time shorter?

I just pulled up another may with more detail of Mindanao and see exactly where you will arrive and travel to. I would feel safe in any place of that area of Mindanao. As far as the long bus ride, I would feel a little unesay if I tarveled anywhere in the Phils myself that distance myself and I would ask my wife to send a few of her brothers to meet me at the Butuan bus station to travel with me. It appears as if there could be some rural areas for the buss to travel through. Maybe there is a closer bus airport than Butuan to cut the travel time shorter?

thanks alot for your advice, and i will clarifymy prior statements, i am going to bislig, mangagoy is the barangay within bislig i will be going to, and so far as i know butuan city has the nearest airport, so i will be landing there and getting on the bus there as well, and also no brothers there to meet me, Nida told me it is a 5 hour ride, so we spoke lately of another possible mode of transportation. I thank you for your help.

K1 Visa Timeline

10/11/2010 - I-129F sent via USPS

10/19/2010 - NOA1 hard copy received, dated 10/15/2010

04/08/2011- received NOA2 hard copy, dated 04/05/2011

04/12/2011- NVC received petition

04/18/2011- received letter from NVC

04/18/2011- Manila embassy received petition

04/27/2011- medical exam passed

05/04/2011- appointment letter received dated 06/01/2011

06/01/2011- appointment date, put on administrative review

06/24/2011- visa granted

06/29/2011- received visa

07/18/2011- cfo class

07/21/2011- arrived in America

09/02/2011- happily married!

AOS Timeline

12/01/2011- AOS packet sent

12/06/2011- received email and text from USCIS with MSC number

12/07/2011- check was cashed

12/10/2011- received NOA hard copy dated 12/05/2011

12/12/2011- received NOA hard copy for biometrics appointment for 12/28/2011

12/24/2011- received NOA hard copy stating that our case was transfered to CSC on 12/20/2011

12/28/2011- biometrics appointment completed

06/25/2012- put in service request

09/12/2012- AOS approved

09/17/2012- card production

09/21/2012- greencard in hand

ROC Timeline

08/04/2014 - sent ROC packet

08/13/2014 - received I-797, NOA, dated 08/08/2014

08/28/2014 - received biometric appt. letter for 09/11/2014

02/25/2015- ROC approved

For reference:

Travel.State.Gov Link

As I mentioned earlier don't get too hung up on just MILF. NPA has been known to cause trouble outside of Butuan proper as well as Bislig.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.