silvermug

So... in laws :-)

12 posts in this topic

I'm married to an American with mixed European descent (although, Italian is dominant). The family has more females than males. He is the only biological son (he has a step brother living in another state) and he has two sisters. Plus, an unmarried aunt. Expectedly, in a crowd dominated by women, stories -- both constructive and destructive, are always there. Also, gatherings and parties are almost ... a given.

I am not a very social person. We believe in strong family ties, but that is usually not expressed in attending gatherings or holding parties. As our life in my home country did not sail as smooth as other lives would, we are usually busy trying to find means to live and survive, instead of buying dresses and shoes to attend gatherings. In other words, luxury is not really on top of the priority list (if it is even on the list).

My question is -- in the US culture, is attending family gatherings considered obligatory for "immediate" family members? I do not want to disappoint anyone, especially family members. More importantly, I do not want to hear any saddening story about me in the family, just because I did not cooperate. If it is something that I, unfortunately, have to endure, then I guess, so be it.

Some families are more social than others. I don't think the dominant number of females has any real aspect in this. Have you discussed this with your husband to see what his feelings are in attending these social functions? If he is really close to his family it may be hard to ask him not to go. Maybe some type of compromise can be made such as you attend maybe every other and let him go to the others by himself. I was kind of in the same boat with my ex-wife's family. They are Mexican and had parties all the time which I really hated going to. I would go maybe once every couple of months just to make an appearance and say I was busy with work or something else on the other occasions. I never stopped the ex from going though. Good luck.

Edited by Atencio

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Some families are more social than others. I don't think the dominant number of females has any real aspect in this.

I feel it has something to do with it because they are the ones who make a deal out of it, haha.
Have you discussed this with your husband to see what his feelings are in attending these social functions? If he is really close to his family it may be hard to ask him not to go. Maybe some type of compromise can be made such as you attend maybe every other and let him go to the others by himself. I was kind of in the same boat with my ex-wife's family. They are Mexican and had parties all the time which I really hated going to. I would go maybe once every couple of months just to make an appearance and say I was busy with work or something else on the other occasions. I never stopped the ex from going though. Good luck.

Yes, have been. And he usually says that he is already used it and I tell him, well I'm not used to it. I tried that trick of not attending most of them and just showing up once in a while, just to be there. But you can only find few excuses. It makes me sad when I have to ask my husband to lie for me. To have him say that I have work to do, la li la. But actually, I could make it, if I wanted to. When I don't attend, I usually hear undesirable stories about me. Not really happy ones.

And of course, I never and I never will stop him from going. He is free to attend the family gatherings or any other gathering he feels reasonable to attend to.

As an American male I wanted to give you my opinion (and it is only my opinion) based of my past marriage. My ex wife passed away years ago but her family was big on getting together and parties and such. I was not so excited about going to all of these parties but I did because it made my ex happy and she did not have to lie for me. She was always ready to attend all of my family gatherings as well. If your husband wants to attend then you should attend with him. After all, it is his family and even if he does not tell you, I am sure that he wants for you to get along with his family just as you want him to get along with your family. How would/do you feel if he makes excuses to not join in on your family's gatherings? If his family goes to the trouble to try to include you then try going. As you get to know them better you will feel much more comfortable with them as well. You are not attending to make them happy, you are attending as your husband's wife and that will make him happy.

* Aug 2008...........Initial meeting

* July 2009...........Proposed

* Nov 24, 2009.....Married in Philippines

USCIS PROCESS

* April 11, 2010...I-130 mailed to Chicago LockBox

* April 14, 2010...I-130 package received at CSC

* April 21, 2010...Checks cashed

* April 21, 2010...NOA1

* July 15, 2010....NOA2

NVC PROCESS

* July 26, 2010...Cases received

* July 29, 2010...Received DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill

* July 29, 2010...Returned DS-3032s by Email

* July 29, 2010...Paid AOS Fee Bill online

* Aug 03, 2010...Mailed AOS Package

* Aug 03, 2010...Case complete, forwarded to Embassy

CONSULATE PROCESS

* Aug 09, 2010...Our Nightmare with USEM begins

* Aug 09, 2010...USEM received Package from NVC (verified delivered by DHL tracking number)

* Aug 09, 2010...USEM losses Package.

* Aug 16, 2010...USEM claims case not received from NVC

* Aug 16 through Sept 16...Many phone calls and faxes to try to get embassy straightened out

* Sep 16, 2010...Finally received Interview Appts. (Oct 12, 7:00 am)

* Oct 04-07, 2010...Medical Exams - Passed

* Oct 12, 2010, 07:00 ...Interview --- Approved!

POE and more

* Oct 26, 2010...POE Houston, Texas - Very quick and easy immigration process. No problems.

SSN Received 2 weeks after POE.

As an American male I wanted to give you my opinion (and it is only my opinion) based of my past marriage. My ex wife passed away years ago but her family was big on getting together and parties and such. I was not so excited about going to all of these parties but I did because it made my ex happy and she did not have to lie for me. She was always ready to attend all of my family gatherings as well. If your husband wants to attend then you should attend with him. After all, it is his family and even if he does not tell you, I am sure that he wants for you to get along with his family just as you want him to get along with your family. How would/do you feel if he makes excuses to not join in on your family's gatherings? If his family goes to the trouble to try to include you then try going. As you get to know them better you will feel much more comfortable with them as well. You are not attending to make them happy, you are attending as your husband's wife and that will make him happy.

That is best answer, Marriage is constant compromise, doing what the other wishes even before they ask it of you. knowing how to please them and making effort to try your best. It will Help grow the foundation of your marriage if you both attend the other's family functions !!!

Thanks for your reply. This definitely brings some light to the issue and I am willing to do this for my husband, at least (if not only for him). Sometimes when I am with his mom and sister(s), they talk about the other in-laws and I just feel like putting my earphones on. It is not a discussion about me, but I feel so bad for the person spoken about. Unhealthy.

Although it is not applicable (since my family is in the PH), but if my husband does not want to attend any of my family gatherings, that is totally fine with me and totally fine with my family. I know that for a fact because I hardly see my brother-in-law and things are good.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

K1 Visa
Sept.2009 Sent Petition
Oct.2009 Petition Approved
Nov.2009 Visa Recieved
-------------------------
AOS
Feb. 2010 Sent AOS
Mar. 2010 Biometrics
May 2010 Interview
Jun 2010 GC Recieved
-------------------------
Removing of Condition:
Mar.19,2012---------ROC sent
Mar.20,2012---------VSC received signed by D. Renaud
Mar.23,2012---------Check encashed
Mar.24,2012---------NOA1
Apr.19,2012----------Biometrics (Early Bio 4/11/2012)
May 2012 ------------Biometrics redo

Nov.30,2012---------RFE (fingerprint can't read needs to submit police clearance)

May 2013-------------Received Permanent Residence Card

00bor6fe477d3.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

it looks bad if you dont go. if my mother had something and my cathy didnt go and i went and i made up an excuse, my mom and sisters would know it. best advice i can give:

find someone in the family you like and spend time with them outside of the gatherings, that way when there are gatherings you have someone to cling to when your hubby goes off to do guy things.

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

By not wanting to attend any family functions is like when you and your husband take a trip back to visit Your Family in the Phils...How would you like it if he stayed in a hotel and never wanted to come to your familys' house to visit?

Even if you are a shy person, by attending family functions frequently you will lose the shyness you ahve now. If you chose to NOT attend with your husband you will be sending his family a message that You Do Not Like or Accept them. After all when two people get married both of them become part of the others FAMILY. Are you just jealous of the "Girls" or number of Single women that attend these functions? Maybe you need counceling of some sort or you do not trust your husband. :unsure:

you have to learn to adjust. just because your own family were not big on seeing spouses of your siblings/relatives, does not mean the same thing applies to your husband's family. remember, ibang lahi sya kaya what you are ok with, does not mean is ok with him or mostly, his immediate family.

you need to stop trying to say things like ok lang sa family if they don't see him at gatherings or your upbringing does not believe in gatherings to prove strong family ties, etc. etc. etc. k'se it seems like you're saying these things as an excuse and make you feel better about not wanting to go to his family's shindigs.

and if you do go, you said you just want to put your headphones on so you don't have to listen to them. that you don't like listening to the things they say. that type of situation is no different from any family out there. don't tell me in the gatherings you go to...you don't hear your relatives talk about someone they know (a friend or a relative) that's not at the party. nothing new in this type of situation with every other gatherings. what you can do is...even if you don't want to hear what they're talking about, strike up a different conversation with the family member next to you.

i've never heard of having/needing to buy new clothes and shoes as a requirement to go to family gatherings. hell, i show up in house slippers and pang-bahay na shirt to most of our family gatherings....LOL

Edited by TravellingNomad

I-130 for wife and kids

---------------------------------------------

02/11/2010: I-130 as an LPR mailed certified

02/25/2010: Recvd letters-I-130s was recvd

06/17/2010: Oathtaking - Became a US Citizen

06/21/2010: Called USCIS to let them know to update my I-130 from an LPR petition to a USC petition.

06/25/2010: Case for both sons Touched

06/28/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Oldest son)

06/30/2010: Petition updated to a USC petition (Wife & youngest son)

07/19/2010: G-325A returned. Incomplete.

07/30/2010: Completed G-325A mailed back via certified mail

08/04/2010: Certified mail delivered at Laguna Niguel

08/07/2010: Touched - UCSIC received reply to RFE

08/13/2010: I-130 APPROVED!!! (recvd email update)

NVC JOURNEY

08/20/2010: NVC recvd I-130 and case number assigned

09/01/2010: Recvd AOS fee bill & DS-3032 via email

09/02/2010: Paid AOS fee & DS-3032 sent back via email

09/13/2010: AOS packet mailed via UPS

09/15/2010: AOS signed for by NVC. IV fee for wife & kids ready.

10/07/2010: Per AVR/NVC - Need to correct I864W for kids

10/11/2010: DS-230 packet & corrected I-864W sent to NVC via UPS

10/15/2010: Recvd and signed for by NVC

11/02/2010: NVC online fee payment portal SIF. NVC adviced that final stages of review.

11/03/2010: AVR - APPLICATION COMPLETED!!

11/10/2010: Medical...1st day at St. Luke's

11/12/2010: Pick up results for Medical - PASSED!

11/16/2010: USEM interview scheduled on 12/14/10

12/14/2010: VISAS APPROVED!!!!

12/20/2010: Visas received

02/22/2011: Cali bound

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

just thought of something, if fashion is an issue, cause i have sisters who are like that. ask one of them to go shopping with you :)

they will love that.

just make sure its a friendly one :)

hehe treat it like making a new friend at school

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.