venassa

passport..renew or not?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My passport expires in August 2012, which is fine because My interview is next month and hopefully be on a plane to my fiancee in November. Im just wondering if i should bother to renew my passport. I know its a hassel doing it from the states (because I do plan on getting it renewed before it expires) Im just wondering because ill have my k1 visa in the passport...so does that change anything next year when I have to renew it? Would i have to pay for a new visa?

The other issue is the name change. Since I will be changing my last name, will I have to get a new passport anyways? There would be no point in spending the 80$ on a renewed passport if I only have to get it redone due to the name change...

If I traveled and filled out a customs form...my last name would be different then that which is in the passport...ya know? hmmmm

anyone got any info on this?

so should i renew it before i leave...or just wait till to renew it next August?

You have almost two years, so (unless you manage to get a stack of RFE's) you will be in US (most probably on your 2-year pre-conditions-removal GC) by that time.

A well-used method of renewing Canuck passports is to make a trip to Canada close to the expiry date, and then renew it relaxedly. As for name-change, just do that in 2012!

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You cant just renew your passport with a changed name, you have to use the full form and apply for a whole brand new passport.

It is faster if you take a trip to canada and then apply in person in the main center ( not the small ones ) the main center can get it back to you really fast if you pay a little more. The smaller ones take forever to get back to you with the passport.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.