TheTokenBrit

K-1 Visa Expiry Date Problem

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello there.

I just (today) got my passport back from the US Embassy in London with my K-1 Visa but there seems to be a problem. Everywhere I've read it says that It's valid for 6 months but on the Visa itself It says the issue date was 16SEP2010 and the expiry date is 04OCT2010. I have two weeks to get there or bust?

Now when I had my interview (November 09) I was put in to the dreaded Additional Processing and they hadn't received my Medical Results from the Embassy yet since i had to have a GP follow up because of some raised Liver Function Tests. My GP thought it would be safe to cehck out what was causing them and i went through an Ultrasound and a Liver Biopsy which took about 5 months in total with all the waiting times. Turns out i was OK and nothing was seriously wrong and so they finally submitted my report to the Embassy then i submitted my passport and i was approved. But now it turns out i've got two weeks to leave Britain. Was the case still running while i was taking care of my medical results and am i lucky to have two weeks and not two days? or have the Embassy made an error and i should contact them?

-Dominic

Depending on the medical results, embassies can limit the visa based on that data. (say if the medical was only valid for 3 months, they would only give a visa for 3 months)

You should contact the embassy and see if that is the case.

(here is the wording on this)

The validity of your visa will be limited with the validity of your medical report. Medical reports classified as "Class B (TB)" are valid for 3 months from the date the doctor signed the report. All other medical reports classified as "No apparent decease or defect" are valid for 6 months after the doctor’s signature date. If your case is subject to further administrative processing, or if the processing of your file is delayed due to missing documents, the medical report may expire before your visa is issued. In that case, you would be required to renew the examination and submit an updated medical report to our office before you receive your visa.

Source

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Depending on the medical results, embassies can limit the visa based on that data. (say if the medical was only valid for 3 months, they would only give a visa for 3 months)

You should contact the embassy and see if that is the case.

(here is the wording on this)

Source

Thanks for replying! Yes i figured this was the case. Ah well! I'll be in the US in Two weeks! Thanks again!

-Dominic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.