decocker

Computer Glitch in Montreal

9 posts in this topic

senator mark warners office called back with some interesting information:

montreal has a 'glitch' in their internal 'system' and they are showing visa's printed that have not, etc..she said this isn't specific to our case, but when montreal checks electronically on any case processes are shown as completed that are not. currently - there is a 'task team' from the department of state at the montreal consulate trying to fix the problem. they are scheduled to be there today and tomorrow working on it.

i would think that a problem such as this is only ADDING to the backlog at montreal. i'm not sure, specifically, what processes a glitch like this would hold up, but if its system wide then, who's to say??

she told me that she told them they needed to contact her the minute they figured out what was going on with our case. she told me to call her back monday morning after 11 if i hadn't heard back from her at that point. she was really nice, and seemed really concerned. she asked me when the wedding date was..i told her it was all tentative because orfee has to give two weeks notice at two jobs and pack all of this belongings from two locations, hence my 'annoyingness' she said she totally understood.

anyway - i don't know if this info is good or bad but, something to think about as we continue to curse montreal (not that cursing them isn't justified - computer glitch or not - they should definitely respond to their emails. how hard is it to set up an automatic reply stating they're having technical difficulties???) jeez. :blink:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

senator mark warners office called back with some interesting information:

montreal has a 'glitch' in their internal 'system' and they are showing visa's printed that have not, etc..she said this isn't specific to our case, but when montreal checks electronically on any case processes are shown as completed that are not. currently - there is a 'task team' from the department of state at the montreal consulate trying to fix the problem. they are scheduled to be there today and tomorrow working on it.

i would think that a problem such as this is only ADDING to the backlog at montreal. i'm not sure, specifically, what processes a glitch like this would hold up, but if its system wide then, who's to say??

she told me that she told them they needed to contact her the minute they figured out what was going on with our case. she told me to call her back monday morning after 11 if i hadn't heard back from her at that point. she was really nice, and seemed really concerned. she asked me when the wedding date was..i told her it was all tentative because orfee has to give two weeks notice at two jobs and pack all of this belongings from two locations, hence my 'annoyingness' she said she totally understood.

anyway - i don't know if this info is good or bad but, something to think about as we continue to curse montreal (not that cursing them isn't justified - computer glitch or not - they should definitely respond to their emails. how hard is it to set up an automatic reply stating they're having technical difficulties???) jeez. :blink:

My bet is that this glitch has to do with the big transition to the new system for visa interview scheduling and communication, which I believe involves a subcontractor. My husband is in a similar line of business (nothing to do with this particular project, but similar kinds of computer systems) and he says that these transitions tend not to go smoothly.

I totally agree with you, though, that they are not handling communication well at *all.* The good news is (I think) that once they're through the transitional period, things will go much better than in the past. This is just a guess, but I have a hunch that they hired a subcontractor because they realized that they were NOT coping with the visa scheduling and communication. Of course, they could have hired more government employees...but a subcontractor is likely much cheaper.

C.

Edited by mtlgato

My bet is that this glitch has to do with the big transition to the new system for visa scheduling and communication, which I believe involves a subcontractor. My husband is in a similar line of business (nothing to do with this particular project, but similar kinds of computer systems) and he says that these transitions tend not to go smoothly.

I totally agree with you, though, that they are not handling communication well at *all.* The good news is (I think) that once they're through the transitional period, things will go much better than in the past. This is just a guess, but I have a hunch that they hired a subcontractor because they realized that they were NOT coping with the visa scheduling and communication. Of course, they could have hired more government employees...but a subcontractor is likely much cheaper.

C.

hopefully, they can get it all together quick - for all the people who have the unfortunate timing as the lab rats for the new experiment..

of course, my mind is still going a mile a minute.. if they thought they printed his visa, where's the file? where's his visa? do they send the file on for the next step? would it still be in montreal? en route to dos? i have no clue and i should probably not think about it or i'll go crazy.. :bonk:

Timeline

hopefully, they can get it all together quick - for all the people who have the unfortunate timing as the lab rats for the new experiment..

of course, my mind is still going a mile a minute.. if they thought they printed his visa, where's the file? where's his visa? do they send the file on for the next step? would it still be in montreal? en route to dos? i have no clue and i should probably not think about it or i'll go crazy.. :bonk:

I sympathize! I'm glad, at least, that your senator's office is listening!

Btw, the consulate's website does say something along the lines of "we are anxious that the transition to the new system not disadvantage applicants who were part-way through the process at the time of the change"...obviously, we ARE inconvenienced--but I appreciate them at least expressing concern. It's RARE from them!

Good luck to you!

C.

Timeline

Thank you so much for the information Valerie78! I guess the glitch explained why the NVC operator said that they 'found out' about my interview date today and why I still haven't received the email...

USCIS

2010-01-20: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

2010-01-27: I-130 NOA 1

2010-03-24: I-130 NOA 2 (e-mail)

I-130 was approved in 56 days from NOA1 date.

NVC

2010-03-30: NVC case number assigned

2010-03-31: Sent OPTIN e-mail and DS-3032

2010-04-02: Received DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill (e-mail)

2010-04-03: Paid AOS Fee online

2010-04-15: Received EP confirmation e-mail

2010-04-27: Sent I-864 package by e-mail

2010-04-27: Paid IV Fee Bill

2010-04-29: Sent DS-230 package by e-mail

2010-05-06: Received RFE for I-864 and self-employment letter

2010-05-08: Resent corrected I-864 and self-employment letter

2010-05-19: Received e-mail from NVC: case complete

Consulate

2010-09-24: Medical examination in Montreal

2010-10-26: Interview- Approved

Thank you so much for the information Valerie78! I guess the glitch explained why the NVC operator said that they 'found out' about my interview date today and why I still haven't received the email...

yeah, that seems totally possible!

congrats on the interview date :)

Timeline

yeah, that seems totally possible!

congrats on the interview date :)

Thank you! And I hope your fiancé will receive his VISA really really soon...!!

USCIS

2010-01-20: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

2010-01-27: I-130 NOA 1

2010-03-24: I-130 NOA 2 (e-mail)

I-130 was approved in 56 days from NOA1 date.

NVC

2010-03-30: NVC case number assigned

2010-03-31: Sent OPTIN e-mail and DS-3032

2010-04-02: Received DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill (e-mail)

2010-04-03: Paid AOS Fee online

2010-04-15: Received EP confirmation e-mail

2010-04-27: Sent I-864 package by e-mail

2010-04-27: Paid IV Fee Bill

2010-04-29: Sent DS-230 package by e-mail

2010-05-06: Received RFE for I-864 and self-employment letter

2010-05-08: Resent corrected I-864 and self-employment letter

2010-05-19: Received e-mail from NVC: case complete

Consulate

2010-09-24: Medical examination in Montreal

2010-10-26: Interview- Approved

Timeline

Well I am happy for you Valerie, at least you have some idea on what the fark is going on and the senators' liaison will definitely be a big help for you.

Hopefully you get good news VERY soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.