psuchuck

Few Questions about the K1 Process

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We are currently waiting for packet 3. NOA2 arrived about 2 weeks ago, and the NVC confirmed they forwarded our application to the consulate in Montreal. I have been looking at what will be in packet 3 so we can start getting things together now. Can someone fill me in as to when our I-134 gets looked at and decided upon? Is that with packet 3? or not looked at until the interview? I would like to know because if a second sponser is needed I don't want it to cause a delay in our processing.

Also, Should I be calling the DOS or the consulate itself to find out about the interview date? or do they wait to receive packet 3 back to even schedule it?

Thank you for your help!

The I-134 and its supporting evidence get looked at at the interview.

Call DOS, I don't believe the consulates take direct phone calls. I might be wrong about that, though.

Edited by Coconuts

Vancouver and Montreal Consulates MAY have slightly different requirements, but for packet 3 in Vancouver I needed the following:

Passport

Long form Birth Certificate, as well as a photocopy of my birth certificate (they ask for this if you want the original back)

Police Certificate (showing a Canada-wide police clearance. When you request this, tell them it's for immigration purposes so they do the CPIC check)

2 color passport photos (make sure you get the US size (2" x 2") rather than the CDN size, which is larger). Write your Alien # on the back. This can be found on your NOA2

Previous Marriage/Divorce Certificates

Vaccination record

1-134 (they won't look at this until the interview, but you should prepare it early since it can take time to gather paystubs, bank letters, tax transcripts, letter from employer, etc, especially if you are using a co-sponsor as well).

Updated letter of intent (similar to the one you forwarded with the petition stating your continued support of the petition and intent to marry, but with a more current date).

I also recommend bringing some supplemental evidence such as a few more recent e-mails/phone records, recent photos, boarding passes or whatever else you might think relevant. I brought along a copy of our NOA2 and my fiance's long form birth certificate, in case they needed to see it. Also, unless you're picking up your visa and passport next day, bring a PACK size Xpresspost envelope (approx 294mm x 304mm) for mailing.

All the best!

One more thing - in terms of deciding whether a co-sponsor is needed, for the I-134 you have to show that you make 100% of the poverty level for your intended household size (ie if it's just you and your soon-to-be spouse, I think it's around 18,500/year). If you can prove you earn more than that you shouldn't need a sponsor. If you are relying on assets to qualify, you'll have to show proof.

You can go to USCIS.gov to print off the I-134 and review the filing instructions to determine what you need to include. As I said, they don't look at this til the interview so you'll have to prepare it ahead of time. As for the documentation packet 3 asks for, you take that to the interview as well (don't mail it - the only thing you send is a fax stating you have the required documents (basically the packet 3 checklist dated, checked and signed) and the DS230-I if memory serves me).

Here's a link to the packet 3 on VANCOUVER Consulate's website...Again, Montreal MAY have a slightly different version.

http://vancouver.usconsulate.gov/content/visas/pdfs/packet3k1k3.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just an FYI MTL only scheduales interviews after they recieve the P3 back with the all the information they requested. But note that the interview will only be 4-6 months or so after they log your P3 packet... most people go about 45-75 days before knowing their interview date as MTL is VERY slow... :( I'm at about day 38 or so....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

One more thing - in terms of deciding whether a co-sponsor is needed, for the I-134 you have to show that you make 100% of the poverty level for your intended household size (ie if it's just you and your soon-to-be spouse, I think it's around 18,500/year). If you can prove you earn more than that you shouldn't need a sponsor. If you are relying on assets to qualify, you'll have to show proof.

You can go to USCIS.gov to print off the I-134 and review the filing instructions to determine what you need to include. As I said, they don't look at this til the interview so you'll have to prepare it ahead of time. As for the documentation packet 3 asks for, you take that to the interview as well (don't mail it - the only thing you send is a fax stating you have the required documents (basically the packet 3 checklist dated, checked and signed) and the DS230-I if memory serves me).

Here's a link to the packet 3 on VANCOUVER Consulate's website...Again, Montreal MAY have a slightly different version.

http://vancouver.usconsulate.gov/content/visas/pdfs/packet3k1k3.pdf

i thought it was 150%

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

100% is for military active duty in the US armed forces. You need to meet 125% which is the $18,212 for two people. Says it right on the PDFs for the poverty guidelines.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.