8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Guys

Just a quick question, should i have not received my 'VISA PACKET'

which i handed in to the homeland security on my Point Of Entry?

Also, is it normal that i put in for my green card in February and

i am still waiting??

Thanks in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The sealed envelope that you receive from the US consulate with your visa, that you give to the CBP officers at PoE, is your immigration file. It contained your entire I-129F petition, adjudication notes, and any notes the consulate added. Basically, they used you to courier your own immigration file back to the US. Rather elegant of them, actually :) But no, you don't get it back. It gets routed to your local USCIS office where your AOS packet and adjudication notes will be added to it in a few months [along with, eventually, your RoC and [maybe] citizenship applications].

February to August is somewhat long for an AOS. Their stated approval goal is 6 months. If you call to inquire about the case, they won't even look for it until 6 months has passed. You're coming up on that, if you haven't passed it already, so it might be a good idea to schedule an InfoPass appointment to ask about it. Don't bother phoning the 1-800 number. They'll just tell you to wait a few more weeks. An Infopass is where you meet an immigration officer in your local office, and while they can't always help, they have a lot better chances then some call center droid does.

Has your case been transferred to the California Service Center [they would have sent you a notice] or is it still at your local office?

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Thanks for the reply and for putting my mind at rest with regards the Vis Packet....

Ye i got notice tha my file had been sent to California a while back, which i thought

would mean it wont be long now before i receive the green card, but nope still nothing

the frustrating thing about it is i received my work permit a while back around the time

i got the claifornia confirmation, i have since been offered a few really good jobs,

but they all need my green card.........ggggrrrr frustrating....

thanks again,

Thanks for the reply and for putting my mind at rest with regards the Vis Packet....

Ye i got notice tha my file had been sent to California a while back, which i thought

would mean it wont be long now before i receive the green card, but nope still nothing

the frustrating thing about it is i received my work permit a while back around the time

i got the claifornia confirmation, i have since been offered a few really good jobs,

but they all need my green card.........ggggrrrr frustrating....

thanks again,

hmmm.. not sure why they are saying they require your green card. you have authority to work in the US? And your greencard is pending? why are they saying they will not hire you?

event.png

Timeline

my thoughts exactly....i have the work authorization card which i produce

at interview, even produced the letter from USCIS that states i have appled

and am awaiting confirmation.....but still i get no where.

I even explained that to get to this process i needed checks back in the uk

and europe as well as usa checks before getting into the country on the correct legal

visa process, so i don't know why this happens it is very frustrating.

Maybe it is just the joys of being here in the deep south they still struggle

with me asking for online banking and having things paid though a bank account.....

my thoughts exactly....i have the work authorization card which i produce

at interview, even produced the letter from USCIS that states i have appled

and am awaiting confirmation.....but still i get no where.

I even explained that to get to this process i needed checks back in the uk

and europe as well as usa checks before getting into the country on the correct legal

visa process, so i don't know why this happens it is very frustrating.

Maybe it is just the joys of being here in the deep south they still struggle

with me asking for online banking and having things paid though a bank account.....

sounds ridiculous to me!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The I-9 form has a section that reminds applicants that employers are not allowed to pick and choose which work authorization documents (or combinations thereof) they will accept, and gives a phone number to call for more information. It's the "Anti-Discrimination Notice" box at the very top of the first page. Give it a read.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.