aussiewench

LAND DOWNUNDER

4,678 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Happy Sunday Aussie VJ-ers!

All this talk of driving and licenses makes me assume that my Aussie drivers license is not going to be valid in the US? I still have a year before it expires. What exactly did you guys do to be able to drive in the US? (And it may be different state by state?) Zach's really keen for me to start driving when I get to the US (he even specifically bought an Automatic car 2 weeks ago because he knew I wouldn't be inclined to drive a stick! Haha).

Plus he is also starting to look at apartments for us! Right now he's living with his parents and we'll be doing that until we get married in April. But I'm very excited he's establishing our life in the US - but really sad I wasn't there to choose an apartment, choose a car, choose ANYTHING with him for that matter.

Oh, and on Friday I bought my ticket! I leave Adelaide on Feb. 25th and arrive in the afternoon of Feb. 25th in St. Louis. I have a 4-hour layover in LA (apparently this is now a Mandatory thing that the Travel Agency needs to follow).

So I guess it's all real, I'm actually going to the US now!!!!

swagbucks-173x63.jpg

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i checked the dmv here in california and you can drive with your aussie license however once you get your green card you have to get a us license...

oh guys question...

i'm going to file for my AOS on monday and need this clarified...

the I-693 form medical examination of aliens seeking AOS - i dont have this form from my medical examination as the doctor sent everything himself ot the consulate and i'm guessing immigration has it now?

what do i have to do? or not do?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hidie Ho fellow Aussies...

hey Patricia... COOL on getting your ticket (ummm what is this about the mandatory 4 hour layover???) is that only when you are entering on the actual K-1 visa (in case of questioning time etc)..

I have never heard of that, all I know is that normally coming in from Australia via LAX ongoing to other cities you do have to allow plenty of time between connections just because there can be delays, but I am totally unaware of the 4 hour timeframe.

and HEY I hear you on all the stuff that you are missing out on being there for... I am just so glad that I was in the USA last September when Steve and I purchased a house together (YAY our closing date on that is on February 18th) - and I will be over there for it... <grin> and while there we are trading in his car (jeep wrangler LOL) to purchase a larger vehicle to seat our new blended family... I CANNOT wait to see him (LOL - even though he only left here like 3 weeks ago)... I'm flying over on the 7th Feb and staying for about 8 weeks - through our settlement and also to do some of the organising of our wedding (which we HOPE at this stage will take place at the end of MAY - as long as our NOA2 arrives sometime in Feb/March and then all the papers get to Sydney for a late April interview... SO keep your fingers crossed for us).. Actually this week my children and I have our X-Rays and Blood tests to be done, and then have an appt. with Dr. Miller on the 4th Feb for the medical..

Another question for you Patricia - when you had your medical with Dr. Miller, did you ask for an extra copy of the medical report to be given to you?? I am thinking that I will (for our own records - especially the vaccination stuff, as I will need all of that information to enroll my kidlets in school over there)..

have a GREAT day guys - me - WELL my house here in ADL actually "finally" settles this coming friday - so it is ACTION stations at the final packing & moving for us now over into our "temporary" accomodation - which we didn't think we would have to do - however the delays have caused us to have to ... darn frustrating really...

Tracy

:-)

26/9/2007 Steve posted I129F & check to CSC

27/9/2007 CSC received it at 9.00am - signed by D.Bohn

""at this point on my timeline it said adjucation could be around the 8th March 2008"" What the??

25/10/2007 NOA1 issued

26/10/2007 Check cashed

29/10/2007 NOA1-Hard Copy received ...

2/11/2007 Touched

4/11/2007 Touched

20/11/2007 Went to police station for fingerprinting and National police check

4/12/2007 Police called police & fingerprint check done and ready for my collection

(getting ahead of myself I know <grin> but want to get everything ready

and organised - so MUCH paperwork/costs when there is me AND kids involved)

13/1/2008 - The estimated date on my timeline for adjudication NOW SAYS 21st March... OUCHIE..

29/1/2008 - WOW the estimated date on my timeline NOW says 7th April.... COME ON FOLKS.. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR TIMELINES IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO... your updates help give number crunchers like myself something to gauge. 4th feb - all these approvals MUST be doing something, my timeline NOW says 2nd April...

5/2/08 - YAY YAY YAY.... NOA-2 approval via email from CRIS... WHOO HOOOOOOOOOOO.... the "estimated timeline said 31 March this morning just as an FYI for you all)

9/2/2008 Flying to Ohio to spend a bit of time with my darling man to arrange our wedding and also just to spend some time together :-)

31/5/2008 Our Wedding day (we think) <grin>

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
i checked the dmv here in california and you can drive with your aussie license however once you get your green card you have to get a us license...

Thanks, sharyna. I'll have to find out what the rules are for Missouri also. Not that I'm itching to drive anyway, but I know that it will give me greater independence if I did encourage myself to do so...

hey Patricia... COOL on getting your ticket (ummm what is this about the mandatory 4 hour layover???) is that only when you are entering on the actual K-1 visa (in case of questioning time etc)..

I'm not sure it's just for K-1. My travel agent mentioned this and she didn't know I was going there with a K-1 Visa. She just said that "We've been advised we have to give everybody a 4-hour layover". I was going to ask for it anyway, especially if they gave me anything less than a 2-hour layover because Zach said it'll take a while. So best to ask your travel agent if this is indeed a new "rule" imposed to everybody. Besides, I wanted to make sure I had enough time because last time Zach missed his connection because his flight from Melbourne was super delayed.

I have never heard of that, all I know is that normally coming in from Australia via LAX ongoing to other cities you do have to allow plenty of time between connections just because there can be delays, but I am totally unaware of the 4 hour timeframe.

and HEY I hear you on all the stuff that you are missing out on being there for...

I'm glad I'll be there sharing stuff with him soon enough though! Yay! And good luck with the closing of your houses!

Another question for you Patricia - when you had your medical with Dr. Miller, did you ask for an extra copy of the medical report to be given to you?? I am thinking that I will (for our own records - especially the vaccination stuff, as I will need all of that information to enroll my kidlets in school over there)..

I didn't get any of my vaccinations with Dr. Miller but yeah, definitely ask for it. I'll be going to my own GP and asking for my records because I'm sure I'll need it along the way. It's an easy print out anyway and I'm sure Joan can help you with that - she's a gem :D Good luck with the medicals, it's a breeze.

Well, in other news, I'm at the airport flying to Sydney for work. I may just drop my favourite Consulate in the world :D I'm on a hunt for a little Melbourne tram (in Sydney, I know, makes sense hey?) - Zach & I decided that we'll be using that as our cake topper for our MO wedding in April. We love Melbourne - it was the first ever place we went on a holiday together and also where he proposed to me EXACTLY ON THIS DAY LAST YEAR :)

Plus yesterday, I bought a whole heap of Australian stuff. My "Something Blue" for the wedding is a patch of the Aussie flag, most probably sewn into my dress somewhere, or pinned to my bouquet. I'm such a geek :D I know this isn't a Wedding Thread, but what kind of Aussie elements did you guys bring into your American weddings? We're a couple of months away and the only thing we've got is our church and our priest. No dress, no reception place, no cake, no nothing else :D

P.S. Hawaiiandreams, have a safe flight to Sydney tonight and hopefully we can catch up sometime tomorrow after your interview!!!! All the best.

swagbucks-173x63.jpg

A few little attempts at posting on here today but no luck. Not sure what's going on, a slight technical hitch on my end I think!

Patricia - Thanks for remembering my interview! I am really excited and VERY nervous. Just trying to stay calm and tell myself that ALL will be fine. It should be with all of the luck and kind words I have had from you all! They say you should check your paperwork two and three times. i think I have well exceeded that, like I think my marriage certificate is going to get up and take a little walk while I'm sleeping! ;)

Oh and Patricia, Beautiful idea about your cake. You could also top it with a little motif of the two of you on the tram! You can get these little icing people that are made to look just like you both. So cute!

TracyOz... on the medical forms, the panel physician I saw here in Melbourne gave me a copy of Appendix C and the vaccination grid "for my own records". If he doesn't give you a copy, I'm sure you can ask. It's handy info to have for the future. Especially for your little kiddies who will need to have certain boosters as they grow up!

Have a great day! :)

Hubby's application for naturalisation submitted: 2006-01-05

Married in Melbourne: 2006-06-11

I-130 submitted: 2006/07/01

My interview in Sydney! APPROVED!!! 2008-01-22

Entry to the US: 2008-03-17

File for removal of conditions: 2009-12-17

Fingerprinting/biometrics: 2010-01-22

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good luck on tomorrow's interview HD!

Things will be fine! Looking forward to good news at the end of the day! :thumbs:

I-130

02/17/2007 - I-130 Express Mailed to VSC via USPS. (ETA 2/19/2007)

02/22/2007 - I-130 received by VSC.

06/12/2007 - NOA2 approval email received!!!

06/15/2007 - NOA2 letter received in the mail.

NVC

06/19/2007 - NVC receives case and assigns a case number!

08/27/2007 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

09/06/2007 - Case forwarded to Sydney

09/14/2007 - Wife receives Packet 3. Received NVC letter confirming case forward to Sydney.

10/26/2007 - Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!! WOOO WOOO!!!!!!

11/18/2007 - Enter the US via LAX (POE). No issues thankfully. 20 minutes of processing.

11/30/2007 - Welcome letter (two of them) received.

12/19/2007 - CR-1 Green Card received.

USCIS - I-751

09/23/2009 - Express Mailed Removal of Conditions application

09/24/2009 - USPS confirmed delivery to VSC

09/29/2009 - Check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2009 - Received NOA I-797C dated 09/25/2009

10/10/2009 - Received Biometric appt letter for 10/29/2009

10/29/2009 - Biometrics taken. Whole process took about 40 min including the wait

12/22/2009 - Approved for ROC!

01/08/2010 - Received text and email: Card production ordered

01/15/2010 - Received Green Card in the mail!

USCIS - N-400

04/22/2011 - Express Mailed Application for Naturalization

04/27/2011 - Check cashed by USCIS

04/28/2011 - Received NOA I-797C dated 04/26/2011

05/27/2011 - Biometrics taken. Process took approx 35 min with wait

07/29/2011 - Received Interview Appt letter scheduled for 09/01/2011 dated 07/26/2011

09/01/2011 - Interview and Oath. Now a USC! The VJ is over!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey guys! Well, I might have a job!!!! I went to Walmart last week and filled out an application form, they called me back, said that they will schedule me an interview after they get in contact with my references back home, and I will be working 2pm-11pm!!!! I hope that I get an interview!

AOS

September 25th 2007-Sent AOS package-recieved 27th.

October 5th-Recieved NOA for AOS & EAD

October 9th-Recieved biometrics app letter

October 22nd-Biometrics app

November 5th-Recieved RFE

November 22nd-Sent evidence

November 27th-Touched-Case resumed

November 30th-Touched

December 17th-Transferred to CSC

January 7th 2008-EAD card ordered

January 16th-EAD card in my hot little hand!

January 22nd-Green card ordered!!!!!

January 28th-Green card in my hand!

Patricia: We're in the same boat, but got set back. My husband has been living with his 'rents for a while because of his cancer and just to get back on his feet. Last week though, he was in a car accident and the car got totaled (He only had it a year and it was a 96 dodge neon, good little car, but any accident would have totaled it). He's fine, just another bump to the head (seriously, this is the 3rd head accident he's had and he's fine x.X), but, no car :\

The day we were going to start looking at apartments, was spent looking at cars :\ but we got a new one on Friday (new = used, but it's nice!), so back again behind the eight ball. Might help if I was settling in nicely, but his brother seems determined to make my stay as miserable as possible. Just got to love the hypocrisy of a strict southern baptist family who allow stealing (he went into my room and ate half a pack of cookies I bought), but saying 'damn' is just horrible (I'm Australian! Where do you think sailors got their colourful language from? x.X)

I only got my Social on Friday as well, so haven't really looked at jobs, but like Kelli, it'll probably be Walmart too :P I just have very little experience (Only job I did was working for my mum's craft shop, and we didn't even have a till :P, I suppose this is one part where 'ignorant foreigner' will work. Love my friends, but I wish they'd stop asking me if we have cars and houses)

The Beginning

September 29th, 1999 - 'hooked' up with Dave after chatting with him for about a year online.

October 23rd, 2004 - September 29th, 5 years to the day, he proposed to me =D

July 23rd, 2005 - Dave comes over for the wedding on July 27th at the beach :)

Sometime in December, he sends off I-130 to Texas and promptly leaves me in the dark like a mushroom x.X...

The Saga Continues *dumdeduuummm*

August - phone NVC. intriguing :\ Phoned again, ah hah! the truth... no record of us >< losers... Go and visit Dave for 3 months...

End of January, we sent the petition back in again. 2 weeks later, we actually get a number in our hot little hands.

April 5th - NOA2 approved!

April sometime, received and sent back Choice of Agent

May 18th - Received IV Bill

May 28th - Sent IV Bill MO back

June 11th - DS-230 generated

July 12th - Received and sent back DS-230 packet

July 19th - NVC Sent Husband checklist of AoS. They forgot to fill in N/A fills with.... N/A x.X

July 23rd - DS-230 entered

July 26th - NVC received checklist regarding financial suppliment (ie, got a talking to on the phone :P)

August 1st - sent financial papers back

August 3rd - (Automatic msg) Financial records lacking! ARGH!~

August 7th - Received actual fixed paperwork - 'processing'

August 17th - NVC COMPLETED CASE!~

September 10th - Received packet 3

September 17th - Medical in Brisbane

November 14th - Interview VISA GRANTED

December 8th - Landed in USA

December 24th - GreenCard Arrives

Timeline
TracyOz... on the medical forms, the panel physician I saw here in Melbourne gave me a copy of Appendix C and the vaccination grid "for my own records". If he doesn't give you a copy, I'm sure you can ask. It's handy info to have for the future. Especially for your little kiddies who will need to have certain boosters as they grow up!

On top of that... for us who enter US on K-1 visa... that vaccination supplement is a MUST for AOS application later on. If you apply for AOS within 12 months of the medical - you will not need the costly, full medical here - only vaccine supplement sheet transcribed by Civil Surgeon to the form... I-693A I think. But it is a compulsory part of AOS filing package. So... make sure you do get the copy or ask for it if not given to you.

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Another Aussie has been approved!!

Good morning everyone! I returned to Melbourne just before midnight last night and was awake again at 6am for work this morning! Feeling exhausted... :blink: but this has all been over ruled by the fact that I FINALLY have approval on my visa and I can now live with my husband! HOOORAY!! :dancing:

I had a good experience at the consulate yesterday. My interview was at 11am, so on the advice of my dear visa journey friends I arrived 45 mins early! I was checked through the security section on level 10. At first the security guard told me that I wasn’t allowed to take the 2 large "green bags” of evidence I bought along with me. Once I explained that this might be required for my interview she double checked on this with a colleague and I was given the wave through...(maybe it was her first day on the job?)

I was told to sit down and wait for the security guard to take me to the elevator. As the security guard prompted me to follow, he kind of chuckled.. when I asked what he was laughing at, he pointed at my bags. I said "oh, you must see this every day". He shrugged and said "yes, but that's a little more excessive!".. :o I laughed!

Once I got to level 59 I was greeted by a rather unfriendly lady who also looked at my bags before I walked through the second metal detector. She asked "what's all this?".. (I wondered if she was new to the job too!?)

From there on in it was one window to the next. By the time I saw the visa officer, he said my paperwork looked good. He made a comment that he hadn’t processed too many Cr1 visa’s but usually they had all kinds of letters and wedding photographs attached to the petition. He made a comment that my petition didn’t have any of that attached. At that point I said “I have 2 bags of it if you’d like to have a look”. He laughed and said “no, that’s fine”. He asked me a few simple questions:

-Who is petitioning for you? What is his full name?

-Where did you meet?

-When did you get married?

-Where in the US are you planning on living?

After a few stamps and signatures, he said "congratulations, your visa will be mailed out tomorrow". That was it!! The consular officer was very pleasant and I was out of there in just over 2 hours.

Thanks so much everyone for all of the advice and kind words over the past few months. It’s really helped me to keep my sanity at times so thanks again!

Niphredil – sorry to hear about your hubby and his accident. Although that was rather unlucky, it’s good to know he came out of it okay. Don’t worry about the questions from back home too much, they know no better and mean no harm. It’s never going to be easy living with the parents but you’ll have your own place soon no doubt! You’re still in the transition phase, hang in there.

Kelli, best of luck with your job application. Hope it all works out well for you!

Have a great day all.. HD.

Hubby's application for naturalisation submitted: 2006-01-05

Married in Melbourne: 2006-06-11

I-130 submitted: 2006/07/01

My interview in Sydney! APPROVED!!! 2008-01-22

Entry to the US: 2008-03-17

File for removal of conditions: 2009-12-17

Fingerprinting/biometrics: 2010-01-22

On top of that... for us who enter US on K-1 visa... that vaccination supplement is a MUST for AOS application later on. If you apply for AOS within 12 months of the medical - you will not need the costly, full medical here - only vaccine supplement sheet transcribed by Civil Surgeon to the form... I-693A I think. But it is a compulsory part of AOS filing package. So... make sure you do get the copy or ask for it if not given to you.

the doctor for me sent everything to the embassy then immigration i'm guessing has everything that the embassy had.... but i do have the copy of the vaccinations he gave me and checked me for.... so hopefully that should be enough....

we'll see...

our cat has been sick so tomorrow we're doing the social security number thing then applying for the AOS - luckily my adorable husband has already added me to his insurance, electric bill etc so my name is on those... and will further add to proof .....

Timeline
the doctor for me sent everything to the embassy then immigration i'm guessing has everything that the embassy had.... but i do have the copy of the vaccinations he gave me and checked me for.... so hopefully that should be enough....

we'll see...

our cat has been sick so tomorrow we're doing the social security number thing then applying for the AOS - luckily my adorable husband has already added me to his insurance, electric bill etc so my name is on those... and will further add to proof .....

Well, when we were at visa stage back home we were told that medical was valid for 12 months. Also, we were told that if you file for AOS within those 12 months you do not need another medical but only vacc sheet to be transcribed officially (by Civil Surgeon) on AOS form. Although, you hear from people about CSs saying they need full medical (very expensive !!!) - but you have to insist on needing only vacc sheet transcribed (minimal charge).

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

AOS process (after K-1):

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

Timeline

Oops... double post!

Edited by ausqueen

I129F process:

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

AOS process (after K-1):

Timeline
AOS form? meaning the supplement form?

Yes, sorry sharyna (didn't mean to confuse you) - whatever the number of that form is for medical. I think I-693 is full medical and I-693A is just the supplement i.e. vaccine record.

I myself haven't used the form, never went to CS for that, just filed the copy from Sydney that I was given at the medical and USCIS accepted it... no one ever asked for the proper form. I guess whoever processed my paperwork somehow missed it :)

I129F process:

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

AOS process (after K-1):

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.