Canadiandggal

has anyone traded in a g-2 license

27 posts in this topic

Hi!

I traded in my basic Alberta license for a Kansas license with no problems. They were going to give me a temporary license (as my AOS was being processed) but instead they decided to give me a full license with a normal expiration date.

OK heres what I know from experience...

I traded my Alberta Class 3 (commercial) license for a Maryland one. They DID NOT give me a CDL just a straight class 5. no test or anything. The US bases their Commercial licenses on weight and Canada uses number axels. So you most likely will have to re test.

I was only in MD for a few months and moved to texas, where they are one of those weird states where you need a GC (which I didnt have yet) i think for licenses.. but I found a loop hole. The requirements stated you needed a valid out of state license which I had(Maryland) and a valid passport(i had my canadian one) or birth US birth Certificate. they gave me a 5 year license no questions asked.. Maybe I got lucky.

Edited by The Earmuffs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

New York State took Yvonne's Ontario Class G2 license and issued her a full-privileged Class D license.

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally, when I decided to move to the US I made the decision not to take my G license test. My thought being, they would either let me trade in the G2 for a full license, or they would ask me to take a road test. I had a 50/50 chance. If I was to take the test in Ontario, I would have a 100% chance of taking a test. I could either possibly avoid a road test, or be guaranteed of having to take a road test. And it worked out! :lol:

I found it strange they gave me a 5 year license when my GC expires next year, but It seems like that isn't completely abnormal.

Timeline

All depends on the state and probably who you deal with at the DMV counter. When I came to VAS on my cr-1, the DMV gave me a license that expired on the same date as my Green card! When i got the NOA 1 (or what ever it was) for my 10 yr green card, it extended my green card for another yr, until I received the 10 yr greencard--my drivers license was again, only good for 1 more yr! And I almost found out the hard way--VA does not always send out notices that ur DL is expiring!! i was driving around for a month on an expired DL!! Only reason I knew--was when I went to the liquor board store (called LB in Sask,lol) The clerk refused me service, because my DL was expired!! So rushed down to the DL--yes I drove,lol---They almost made me start over from scratch---test and road test and loose my motor cycle endorsement! But they took pitty on me!! Pays to be nice,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Hi there.

I live in Maryland too and I had a G1 that I could ahve traded for a full license here had I not let it expire! So, I had to take the test adn the road test. So, they do NOT paya attention to the graduated licensing here at all. If you have a valid license in Ontario, you have one in Maryland.

Good luck. OH, the MVA sucks, we spent 6 hours there today doing my final license test and transfer and it was a gong show.

Just trade it in, you're good to go. I wish I'd renewed my learner's in Ontario before I got here.

:D

Hey all.

I am trying to figure out what kinda of license the state of maryland will give me once I get there. I have a canadian g-2 which that system to me is stupid but anyways. Has anyone traded in there g-2 for a us license and what did you get? A full license? I have looked the mva up and found some info on beginner drivers ect but none of it answered my question. Thanks in advance

I know have a full license that's good for 5 years.

Hi there.

I live in Maryland too and I had a G1 that I could ahve traded for a full license here had I not let it expire! So, I had to take the test adn the road test. So, they do NOT paya attention to the graduated licensing here at all. If you have a valid license in Ontario, you have one in Maryland.

Good luck. OH, the MVA sucks, we spent 6 hours there today doing my final license test and transfer and it was a gong show.

Just trade it in, you're good to go. I wish I'd renewed my learner's in Ontario before I got here.

GOod job on that, Huggles. LIe I said, I could have traded my G1 for a full on license. Wish I knew -- I thought it was invalid as it was out of country. Ontario is considered out of state here in Maryland. Would have saved me from doing the damn road test. TWice.

Personally, when I decided to move to the US I made the decision not to take my G license test. My thought being, they would either let me trade in the G2 for a full license, or they would ask me to take a road test. I had a 50/50 chance. If I was to take the test in Ontario, I would have a 100% chance of taking a test. I could either possibly avoid a road test, or be guaranteed of having to take a road test. And it worked out! :lol:

I found it strange they gave me a 5 year license when my GC expires next year, but It seems like that isn't completely abnormal.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey all.

I am trying to figure out what kinda of license the state of maryland will give me once I get there. I have a canadian g-2 which that system to me is stupid but anyways. Has anyone traded in there g-2 for a us license and what did you get? A full license? I have looked the mva up and found some info on beginner drivers ect but none of it answered my question. Thanks in advance

Canadiandggal-From my experience...

I traded in my Ontario G2 license for a full New York State D class license....

No problem here in NYS...10 minutes in and out of the DMV.....

I gave them my G2 Ontario license (which they kept and destroyed..as nobody is allowed to have 2 driver's licenses at the same time..)

A then I got a full New York State 4-yr license in the mail 1-2 weeks later......

No further testing required (except for a simple eye test) here in NYS.......

Lol...I agree, the Ontario system 'graduated licensing' system is kind of stupid....(and expensive and time consuming too)...lol...I should have just learned to drive in the USA instead....it's much easier....

It doesn't make sense to have 2 road tests in Ontario, where in other states/provinces there is only 1 road test...

As for your circumstance...It depends on the state you are moving too..

Some allow "direct no-testing transfer", some don't...

As well, if you have any problems, you can bring in further paperwork regarding your driving experience in Canada, to help see what the equivalency is (eg. former driving test results, driver's handbook, etc...)

If in doubt, just ask your local DMV for further assistance.....

Hope this helps. Good luck in getting your US driver's license.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Arizona, the Motor Vehicle Department issued us a full license (my wife has an Ontario G2) after an eye test and a written test. Only had to bring the Canadian license and passport with the activated immigrant visa.

We were allowed to keep our Canadian licenses.

Only thing is that they will expire in 6 months. We are supposed to go back when we receive our permanent greencards so they can update the expiry to match the greencard's.

Timeline

Thanks all for the replies :P

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

they did that to me too...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my G1 in Canada, took my road test in Ontario and passed.. got my G2. Moved to the States a month later and traded it in for a FULL Texas license, no problem. I drive on the highways, etc.. and didn't have to take a road test.

Edited by BULLWINKLE

07-2006 Met my sweetheart!!!

01-25-10 Entered the USA on student visa

05-28-10 Married!!!! <3

06-16-10 I693 Medical prepared and sealed

07-14-10 AOS Packet couriered to Chicago

07-16-10 AOS Packet received! Signed by S. Bush :)

07-23-10 CHECK$ CA$HED!!!!! So happy to see money leave my bank account!!!!

07-24-10 NOA received in the mail for AOS/EAD and hubby received AP for me :)

07-26-10 TOUCHED!!!

08-06-10 EAD & Alien Petition TOUCHED!!!

08-24-10 Service request submitted for Biometrics Letter.. waiting, waiting...

09-01-10 2nd service request call put in - Dallas ASC backed up and everything is on hold! :(

09-03-10 Infopass appointment set for September 17th

09-03-10 EAD TOUCHED!!! I might not need my Infopass appt. after all!

09-07-10 Another touch for EAD

09-08-10 EAD TOUCH again! woo hoo!

09-17-10 InfoPas appt @9am. EAD APPROVED on Sept 2.. but still waiting for biometrics

09-20-10 3rd service request to USCIS, escalated to IO. still no bio appt

09-28-10 AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

09-29-10 4th service request to USCIS, useless convo with IO

09-30-10 AP received and signed by USCIS, J.Chyba

10-04-10 Another useless convo with IO

10-06-10 Letter sent to Congressman

10-10-10 Letter sent to Senator

10-11-10 AP Touch

10-13-10 Email received, AP approved :)

10-15-10 Useless SECOND Infopass appt. and useless AP without biometrics

10-16-10 I-512L AP Doc arrived in the mail

10-18-10 Another USELESS call to USCIS

10-19-10 Got my biometrics appt for Nov 3rd!!! early walk in complete 10-20 *SEE ABOUT ME PAGE FOR MORE TIMELINE INFO!*

Filed: Other Timeline

I found it strange too....That here in NYS they did the same thing when I had my green card...

Lol..The conditional green card was valid for 2 years...

And the driver's license was valid for 4 years.....

Definitely odd there...

However, this can be seen as a good thing, come Removal of Conditions time....

You don't have to worry about renewing your driver's license when your green card expires if this is the case for you..

There are some others in other states who have encountered problems because of having their green cards and their driver's licenses expire at the same time (see the ROC boards for examples)....

For example, with some DMVs not accepting NOAs/extension letters.....

As if there is a delay in green card renewal, there can be delays in getting a new driver's license too..

So yeah..as a heads up....for those of you later on down the road....

Be sure to inquire about renewing your driver's license ahead of time, if both your green card and driver's license expire at the same time...

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.