Khandog25

Packet 3 assembly question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Does it matter what order you put your paperwork together for the packet 3 to send to the embassy such as DS-forms, Birth certificate, police certificate, affidavit of support, support documents, ongoing relationship proof and such? Does it matter if you staple forms? Just curious as I have everything ready to send but just wondering how to assemble, thank you

K1 Time Line

2/24/2009 - Met Sobia

3/09/2010 - Traveled to Pakistan for 6 weeks for engagement

5/21/2010 - I-129F Sent to Vermont

5/27/2010 - NOA1 hardcopy recieved

6/25/2010 - Recieved email confirmation that I-129F has been approved

7/03/2010 - NOA2 hardcopy recieved

7/16/2010 - NVC Recieved Petition

7/21/2010 - Recieved packet 3 electronically from Islamabad,Pakistan Embassy

10/8/2010 - Medical examination- Clear

10/18/2010- Interview at Islamabad Embassy- Put into AP

event.png

I suggest not stapling if you can help it. Here's how I did mine - not saying I'm perfect, just offering a suggestion:

I used a 4 part classification folder. 4 pronged sections. In each section, I put an astrobright between each document, and tabbed the astrobright with the document's name to make them easier to find.

Section 1:

DS-2001 (2 originals, 1 copy)

DS-156 (2 originals, 1 copy)

DS-156K (2 originals, 1 copy)

DS-157 (2 originals, 1 copy)

DS-230 Pt. 1 (2 originals, 1 copy)

Birth Certificate - Copy punched, original folded in punched plastic sleeve

Divorce Decree - Copy punched, original folded in punched plastic sleeve

Police Report - Copy punched.... you get the point

Affirmation of Intent to Marry letter

Section 2:

I-134 - Original

2009 Tax Return

Employer Letters

Pay Stubs

Bank Letter

Bank Statements

(All of this was duplicated by co-sponsor just in case)

Section 3:

Proof of Relationship Section -

Evolution of Relationship letter

Photos

Copies of passport pages (both of us)

Copies of boarding passes and trip itineraries

Copy of wedding dress receipt

Copy of Christmas Card that said "To my Fiancee" on the cover

Copy of shipping receipt for Christmas gifts

38 pages of phone logs (just a sampling of our 2 years on the phone!)

Section 4 -

Copies for HIS records of our I-129F stuff.

I just laid it out in a way that made sense to me. You can do it however you like. The important thing is that they're going to want the forms FIRST, and the documentation when they get to the interview itself.

Hope this helps.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

No. It won't matter how you send it. There is no need to make things too complicated as no matter what you do they will take it all apart and put it back together how they want it in your file. Any extra organizational effort will be wasted as they always put things in the order they want them, into uniform binders or enclosures.

Edited to add: Check to see if the embassy wants you to send copies of all the documentation beforehand. Unless specifically asked for, DO NOT send originals of birth certificates and such. Sending a copy beforehand is fine, but originals could very possibly get lost.

Edited by marlea

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you guys so much...Dodi, thanks for taking the time to do that for me. How is everything moving for you after the debacle with NVC? My fiancee had a huge flood in her hometown in peshawar, pakistan, which put a damper on things for me. Im sending out documents to her tomorrow, and once she recieves them, she will send them to the embassy. How long does it take to get an interview date from the embassy? and My fiancee is supposed to get the medical examination after she gets the letter stating the interview date and such right? Thank you so much once again. This forum has been a blessing!

K1 Time Line

2/24/2009 - Met Sobia

3/09/2010 - Traveled to Pakistan for 6 weeks for engagement

5/21/2010 - I-129F Sent to Vermont

5/27/2010 - NOA1 hardcopy recieved

6/25/2010 - Recieved email confirmation that I-129F has been approved

7/03/2010 - NOA2 hardcopy recieved

7/16/2010 - NVC Recieved Petition

7/21/2010 - Recieved packet 3 electronically from Islamabad,Pakistan Embassy

10/8/2010 - Medical examination- Clear

10/18/2010- Interview at Islamabad Embassy- Put into AP

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Question for everyone who's gone through this - am wading through the paperwork and have gotten confused (go figure =/)

Instructions for the London Embassy response to Packet 3 - http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

- Step 1 clearly states return the forms filled out correctly. No confusion there all fine and dandy.

- Step 2 then instructs us to gather documentation together and submit the DS-2001 to notify the embassy that you're ready for interview. Again, fine not confusing.

But then you get to form DS-156K and it clearly states on that form that the following documents must be attached - police records etc.

So, my question is this: I intend to submit steps 1 and 2 the day that DoS confirms that Packet 3 has been sent out by the embassy. Are we meant to attach copies of specifically: the police certificate from ACPO, birth certificate and the affadavit of support from our USC partner? I was under the impression that people returned the requested forms and then took the originals to the interview with them along with duplicate copies.

Furthermore, my better half hasn't even begun to get together his affadavit information yet as we never dreamed they would process us so quickly. I again was under the impression that the first time the embassy staff saw that document was when I would physically hand it to them in London thus buying us sufficient time to do it!

I'm going to also assume that the evidence of engagement is pretty much our I-129F pack of information that we sent off and have obviously received approval for along with the originals of the supporting documentation. I also intend to place wedding receipts in there too.

Am I barking mad or simply have not had enough coffee - the way they have everything set out is extremely confusing.

Yours confused in rainy Huddersfield.

Janine

Visa Type: K1

Service Centre: Vermont

Embassy: London, UK

I-129F Sent: 19 June 2010

Interview Date: 9 November 2010

POE: 23 November 2010

Married: 13 December 2010

AoS

Sent by Courier to Chicago

I-485, EAD and AP Sent: 22 April 2011

EAD & AP Touched: 13 May 2011

I-485 RFE: 14 May 2011

Biometrics Appointment: 1 June 2011

Timeline

Question for everyone who's gone through this - am wading through the paperwork and have gotten confused (go figure =/)

Instructions for the London Embassy response to Packet 3 - http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

- Step 1 clearly states return the forms filled out correctly. No confusion there all fine and dandy.

- Step 2 then instructs us to gather documentation together and submit the DS-2001 to notify the embassy that you're ready for interview. Again, fine not confusing.

But then you get to form DS-156K and it clearly states on that form that the following documents must be attached - police records etc.

So, my question is this: I intend to submit steps 1 and 2 the day that DoS confirms that Packet 3 has been sent out by the embassy. Are we meant to attach copies of specifically: the police certificate from ACPO, birth certificate and the affadavit of support from our USC partner? I was under the impression that people returned the requested forms and then took the originals to the interview with them along with duplicate copies.

Furthermore, my better half hasn't even begun to get together his affadavit information yet as we never dreamed they would process us so quickly. I again was under the impression that the first time the embassy staff saw that document was when I would physically hand it to them in London thus buying us sufficient time to do it!

I'm going to also assume that the evidence of engagement is pretty much our I-129F pack of information that we sent off and have obviously received approval for along with the originals of the supporting documentation. I also intend to place wedding receipts in there too.

Am I barking mad or simply have not had enough coffee - the way they have everything set out is extremely confusing.

Yours confused in rainy Huddersfield.

Janine

Well Janine, for better or worse and after scouring this and britishexpats site, i simply completed and mailed them all of the required forms... and i did NOT include any originals or copies of any certificates... i confirmed i had booked a medical in my cover letter, and i have sent off for my police certificate, but no, i havent sent anything other than the forms. They state clearly to ready them for interview, and in signing the DS-2001 i figured that was my confirmation that yes, i had everything ready to bring to interview.....

If it comes back to bite me in the ####, i'll let everyone know! :) :)

(p.s posted them yesterday by recorded post)

Polly

06/24/2010 I-129f filed

07/05/2010(approx)NOA1

07/21/2010 NOA2

08/04/10 Embassy letter received

08/13/10 Pckt 3 paperwork rec delivery received by London

09/02/10 Medical Exam

10/08/10 INTERVIEW DATE

My fiance and I were under the assumption that sending copies along was fine, so he sent what he could. He didn't send anything that was original. But, if you can't send them along, I don't think it's an issue. The most important pieces are the forms, obviously, but don't fret too much if you don't have copies yet. Just take everything else with you to the interview. From what others have written about their experiences at the consulate, the CO asks for any documentation they want to see. But I guess we will all find out soon!

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Timeline

Okay good to know that others have encountered this issue also.

I think I will just send in the forms with as much (copy) information as I currently have to hand and our I-129F app and evidence. I will use the covering letter to state that I am collating the rest of the required information by the date of the interview and have arranged for my medical in the meantime. Thank you for making me feel less foolish guys!

Visa Type: K1

Service Centre: Vermont

Embassy: London, UK

I-129F Sent: 19 June 2010

Interview Date: 9 November 2010

POE: 23 November 2010

Married: 13 December 2010

AoS

Sent by Courier to Chicago

I-485, EAD and AP Sent: 22 April 2011

EAD & AP Touched: 13 May 2011

I-485 RFE: 14 May 2011

Biometrics Appointment: 1 June 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.