elaina

Finding Information re: K-1 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance in the US has submitted the I-129-F application. I live in B.C. Canada, near the border. Am I allowed to visit my Fiance while the application is being processed? Also, how do I find out how many days I have already stayed in the US? My understanding is that you are allowed to be there, 6 months in a calendar year. And, because I live near the border and go across for groceries, am I allowed to enter the US for a 'day trip' without spending the night, without it being charged against me. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THESE ANSWERS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As a Canadian, you can spend up to 6 months per 12 months (not a calendar year) in the USA.

I would not be too concerned about the grocery shopping.

Please read the visiting guide about your first question: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1visit

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

As a Canadian, you can spend up to 6 months per 12 months (not a calendar year) in the USA.

I would not be too concerned about the grocery shopping.

Please read the visiting guide about your first question: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1visit

Timeline

OMG... I am freaking out.... I think I was there longer than 6 months, ONLY because I was told it was in a calendar year., and it was before we even looked into the Visa process....and thank you, I did read your link...but I'm really worried now, as we do not want to do anything wrong... we are not kids,(trust me on this) and are very concerned about doing everything right... but sounds like we already made a HUGE mistake. How can we handle this ?? I live in B.C...and have NO intention of living in the US until we have the Visa and we can be married. But...what should we do now?? IS there someone or some place I should go to to find out IF I overstayed??? VERY WORRIED IN CANADA......

Timeline

OMG... I am freaking out.... I think I was there longer than 6 months, ONLY because I was told it was in a calendar year., and it was before we even looked into the Visa process....and thank you, I did read your link...but I'm really worried now, as we do not want to do anything wrong... we are not kids,(trust me on this) and are very concerned about doing everything right... but sounds like we already made a HUGE mistake. How can we handle this ?? I live in B.C...and have NO intention of living in the US until we have the Visa and we can be married. But...what should we do now?? IS there someone or some place I should go to to find out IF I overstayed??? VERY WORRIED IN CANADA......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unless you had an I-94 done for all of your visits (which is not the norm for Canadians visiting the US), it's going to be hard for anyone to prove you overstayed. Honestly, I don't think you should be freaking out, but you may want to limit any kind of longer visits you had planned.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

Unless you had an I-94 done for all of your visits (which is not the norm for Canadians visiting the US), it's going to be hard for anyone to prove you overstayed. Honestly, I don't think you should be freaking out, but you may want to limit any kind of longer visits you had planned.

Thank you JlovesA, for your posting... No, I didn't have an I-94 done, but I have been awake a long time fretting...so, thank you, I'll try to chill on this. You can be sure I'll be limiting my visits south... We have just found this 'site' recently and are so thankful for that...we just filed our I-129F and the amount of information is overwhelming at times, so we have a lot to comprehend, and by the looks of it, a long road to travel. As I grew up in Calif, as a Permanent Res. from the time I was a young girl...for 20 years, it is difficult for me not to think of myself already as 'half-American'., and Eric and I only live 3 hours apart, (if you don't count the rush-hour traffic in Seattle) *smile*.... and I guess it never occurred to us to 'document' everytime we drove across over the last year...then again, getting 'wrong' information and NOT verifying it, didn't help either. Again, thank you for your reply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.