quantumgirl

vaccinations for K1 and AOS

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

We are still waiting for NOA2 but I figured I would get them now. I have a few questions though. Hope somebody can help. I’m so confused with all the different websites and information.

1. Are the vaccinations required for the K1 visa interview as for the AOS, or does AOS require more or different shots than K1?

2. Do I need to tell my doctor to fill out the vaccination card in English? Or will the doctor at the medical before the interview give me another English document anyway?

3. When I go to my medical, before the K1 interview, do I need to take Form DS 3025 with me and let the doctor fill it out? If so, where can I find that form? I read that u need it for AOS, but German doctors don’t give it to you???

4. Does it matter when I get my vaccinations? I don’t want them to be out-of-date once I file for AOS? I read that the medical has to be no longer than 12 months before applying for AOS but does that count for the vaccinations too?

5. I am 26 years old. Do I still need the HPV vaccination?

6. Can anybody provide a current list of the vaccinations I need to get? I found so many different ones. I’m confused.

7. I don’t understand the whole vaccination requirements based on the age. I’m 26 now. According to the list, a Polio vaccination for instance is only required up to age 17. So lets say I never got that shot, will I still need to get it now or will I only need to have the ones that are age appropriate for me right now? Same for Rotavirus, Hib, and PVC, hepatitis A, meningococcal, pneumoccocal

8. If my DTP/DTaP/DT or Td/Tdap shot was more than 10 years ago, do I need to get a booster shot? Are there any other shots that might require a booster?

9. Do I need a shot for pertussis? Some charts say yes, some don’t mention it.

K1 timeline

07/01/2010: mailed I-129F

07/12/2010: NOA1

11/10/2010: NOA2

01/04/2011: Pack 3 sent

01/10/2011: Pack 4 received

01/13/2011: interview

01/22/2011: K1 visa in mail

03/29/2011: POE (Houston)

04/30/2011: wedding

AOS, EAD, AP timeline

05/02/2011: mailed I-485, I-765, I-131

05/09/2011: NOA1

05/30/2011: Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are still waiting for NOA2 but I figured I would get them now. I have a few questions though. Hope somebody can help. I’m so confused with all the different websites and information.

1. Are the vaccinations required for the K1 visa interview as for the AOS, or does AOS require more or different shots than K1?

From what I know they are the same Requirements BUT if your DS 3025 is more than a year old at time of AOS you will need to get a new one adn at that point the DR. will check to see if any otehr vaccinations would be age appropriate.

2. Do I need to tell my doctor to fill out the vaccination card in English? Or will the doctor at the medical before the interview give me another English document anyway? If you do not have an english vaccination letter I believe you will have to get a translation of your immunization record BUT if its in German and you go to a German Dr. then that may not be the case....the Dr's that are allowed to do teh USCIS medicals should know exactly whet USCIS wants so I would assume they would write it in English.

3. When I go to my medical, before the K1 interview, do I need to take Form DS 3025 with me and let the doctor fill it out? If so, where can I find that form? I read that u need it for AOS, but German doctors don’t give it to you???

No, the Dr. will have it and fill it in for you as part of teh medical

4. Does it matter when I get my vaccinations? I don’t want them to be out-of-date once I file for AOS? I read that the medical has to be no longer than 12 months before applying for AOS but does that count for the vaccinations too?

No all you need to make sure is that you have all your required up to date vaccinations at teh time of the k-1 medical. IMO IF the medical happens to be more than 12 months prior to AOS THEN you will need to go to teh DR again to and get another DS3025 indicating you are still up to date.

5. I am 26 years old. Do I still need the HPV vaccination? No

6. Can anybody provide a current list of the vaccinations I need to get? I found so many different ones. I’m confused.

7. I don’t understand the whole vaccination requirements based on the age. I’m 26 now. According to the list, a Polio vaccination for instance is only required up to age 17. So lets say I never got that shot, will I still need to get it now or will I only need to have the ones that are age appropriate for me right now? Same for Rotavirus (not age appropriate), Hib(not age appropriate), , and PVC(not sure what this is), hepatitis A, meningococcal(not age appropriate), , pneumoccocal (not age appropriate),

Age appropriate for you right now.

basically for me I have to make sure my Tetanus/Dip was within the last 5 years (i had to get a shot cuz it wasn't) and get the Twinrix shot which covers Hep A & B. I was born in Canada and had all the regular shots as a kid with proof of them on my immunization record.

8. If my DTP/DTaP/DT or Td/Tdap shot was more than 10 years ago, do I need to get a booster shot? Are there any other shots that might require a booster? Yes for the Tdap. I do not believe any others would require a booster (that would be appropriate for your age anyway)

Not present on the sheet unless its under a different name.

I say all these answers with confidence (unless otherwise noted) as I am a 26yr old female and I just received my approved medical today and teh Dr gave me a copy of my completed vaccination record that he filled out.

Hope this helps!

sorry didn't know how to quote small sections so my answers ar ein teh quote....

Timeline

thank you for your help so far! So when you say "age-appropriate" ( I don't really get that term), you are saying, that I only need the shots that are listed for my age group, even if I didnt get the shot (for instance hepatitis A) as a kid, right?

Then why did you get the Hep A+B shot, if you are 26?

K1 timeline

AOS, EAD, AP timeline

2. Do I need to tell my doctor to fill out the vaccination card in English? Or will the doctor at the medical before the interview give me another English document anyway?

1. The vaccinations aren't actually required until the AOS, but if you have medical coverage in your home country (or your fiance, if you're the USC) then it's a good idea to get them prior to the medical, because then they'll already be on the sealed medical report you're provided with that can be sent with the AOS package. If they're done here, it would require a civil surgeon to re-transcribe this information and cost you a large chunk of change.
  2. You'll need your entire medical record translated anyway, so it doesn't really matter. With the international clinics the US seems to use for the visa medical exams, you never know if you'll have a German doctor (though they usually will at least speak the native language of the country they're in, but a translation may be required anyway).

• You will only take the passport photo(s), your medical records, passport, and a copy of your P3 letter from the Embassy. You won't need the form. They'll provide it.
  • Most vaccinations last for 10 years+ most of the vaccinations required in the list were given here to us as children and weren't repeated after age 7 or so. The Tdap has to be repeated I believe every 10 years. Don't worry about those.
5. I am 26 years old. Do I still need the HPV vaccination?

• No. The HPV is not a REQUIRED vaccination. It's not even required here. Yet. Until the drug companies want more money...
  • Try this link to the USCIS Vaccination Requirements.
7. I don’t understand the whole vaccination requirements based on the age. I’m 26 now. According to the list, a Polio vaccination for instance is only required up to age 17. So lets say I never got that shot, will I still need to get it now or will I only need to have the ones that are age appropriate for me right now? Same for Rotavirus, Hib, and PVC, hepatitis A, meningococcal, pneumoccocal

Age appropriate only. From most countries, it usually only includes Tdap and MMR, possibly Varicella if you've not had chicken pox. I'm not sure from Germany.

8. If my DTP/DTaP/DT or Td/Tdap shot was more than 10 years ago, do I need to get a booster shot? Are there any other shots that might require a booster?

That might be recommended. I've spoken to doctors who say the Tdap should be redone every 5 to 7 years, and some who say they're good for 10. Either way, you're on the tail end of the spectrum, and it's always a better-safe-than-sorry with those things and bureaucrats.

Yes. It's on the list in the link I gave you earlier.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :thumbs:

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Timeline

thank you so much for the info. I will get this taken care of next week.

K1 timeline

AOS, EAD, AP timeline

Ask to have your titers drawn. This will tell you what you need to have vaccinated. (Assuming you had childhood vaccinations...)

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.