waldron1983

complicated,long,and difficult issues

7 posts in this topic

okay guys complicated question here.....

married 2 1/2 years to my wife from philippines. she just got her perm residency 10 yr card a couple months ago...so all is well. ok here is the issue. I have had trouble finding work, however I have secured a teaching job for english in Korea for 1 year. Here is our plan, which ot sure ill do or not yet...but need to...please see if there are any major issues to be worried about etc.

we have an apartment now, which we will have to gove up when we leave, obviously, however Im not changing the address because we will be living overseas temporarily. my wife will stay with me 4-5 onths and return to USA and probably stay with one of her girlfriends, and possibly come back to see me again before my 1 year is up. once I return we will get a new place, a job here for me (hopefully) and settle...as her citizenship can be claimed next year...she got her perm residency card TEMPORARY in May 2008. Once I return to USA THEN I will change our address to our new place. I know people do it all the time, as far as the address, just making sure this sounds ok? we cannot afford to keep renting a place here...would defeat the purpose and we are financially in bad shape. any ideas, comments, concerns let me know please.

Two things that immediately catch my attention is giving up the place of residence and not changing the address.

Every LPR needs to maintain relations with the US through residence. If that is not met, they could consider that abandonment. The plan you have is fine, IMO, but you need to find someone (parents, relatives, friends) who are willing to let you use their address. Change the address with USCIS to theirs and then follow through with the 4-5 months out of the country plan. As long as it is less than 6 months, she would remain eligible for naturalization and has not interrupted her continuous residency requirement.

Another thing that is linked to my previous statement is there is a 3 month waiting time if a PR moves to a new location that is serviced by a different district office. I think the 3 month wait is not as serious as failing to maintain continuous residency and physical presence.

Hope this helps.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a suggestion: rent a mail box, to maintain a local address, perhaps one with a physical address, instead of just the U.S. Post Office. Preferably one that forwards mail to you, especially bills

and USCIS correspondence

:innocent:

Just a suggestion: rent a mail box, to maintain a local address, perhaps one with a physical address, instead of just the U.S. Post Office. Preferably one that forwards mail to you, especially bills

and USCIS correspondence

:innocent:

Very good idea... however, USCIS does not accept P.O Box as a physical address, so finding a friend is important...

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Very good idea... however, USCIS does not accept P.O Box as a physical address, so finding a friend is important...

Agreed. Find somebody that you can trust, friend or relative.

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

thanks guys. i tell you all my wife and I are in love very much, shes my best friend too. a couple eyars ago I lost my good job in NJ and with it good salary and nice house...so like many Americans I was dorced to move back to my home state and lived for a few months with my father and his GF, along with my wife. we moved and got out own home for sale by owner, my unemployment dried up after 1 year and still had no stable good job, moved back with father...(note my wife is very patient and I cant tell her how much I thank her for this). well after about 7 months we were able to save up enough and are at our current little apartment in town. she works as well as myself, but it just isnt enough at all...we live paycheck to paycheck. so I found a good paying job with everything provided teaching overseas, whic will give us a real oppertunity to get out of this rut and be able to allow me to take care of my wife again, at least until we get permenantly on our feet. were in our 20s, no kids. she just got her perm residency 10 yr card and it makes me ill because we are at the end of our rope and cant stay her anymore and cannot risk a questionable job and dont have the savings to relocate in US. she will come with me for about 4 months (under 6 months mark) overseas and then rturn and stay with my mom for a while probably, and maybe return to see me for 4 months later on and accompany me back to te states. I plan to change our address to my mother which my wife will probably stay with once she comes back anyway waiting for me. we will keep our current PO Box mailing address,however.

thanks for all the responses guys. since my wife is now a perm resident 10 yrs, must I change my address still when we change over???

I dont want to screw all everything up we have worked for, at same time we need the job and money.

Hi,

Yes, you also need to change address so that both are the same. Therefore, file address change and put your mother's address as you mentioned. That way, you do not need to keep changing the address as you fly back and forth. Print the address change and keep it for your records. As you mentioned, you are now months away from being eligible for citizenship and a minor problem could cause your wife to wait until the 5 year mark or longer... however, from the way you are planning, it looks like you are playing it safe.

good luck!

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.